X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quit or not?

Hi everyone,
    I?m a fairly regular viewer of this forum and have been an Engineering cadet since Sept last year. I just finished my first trip 2 days ago (North Sea) and have been giving this some thought.

I have decided that I love the job, I love the college work but I genuinely hated being at sea. I?m worried now, and don?t really know what to do. I think I should carry on and just do my 5 more months and (hopefully) get my ticket, but I honestly don?t think I could do it as a career afterwards. I?m aware that there is always the possibility of shore jobs, in the industry and outside, but I?m worried I would be wasting my time completing the training if this is the case?

My dilemma is that, being kicking the arse of 30, I?ll struggle to find any engineering firm willing to take me on without relevant qualifications. However if I quit the training, I am going to struggle to be accepted for relevant training elsewhere (apprentices) or be able to afford to do it (uni).

Does any one have any advice or is feeling the same way during or after their first trip??

Yeti

Re: Quit or not?

It's good you're seeking advice before making a final decision. Thanks for coming forward.
    I would give it a few more days before you decide you hated your sea time. In my experience new to sea cadets may need a week or two at home before settling down. You may feel then, after you've been twiddling your thumbs for a while you may not mind sea all that much, or at least endure it enough to finish the cadetship.

Remember not every ship is the same, each one is different and it's the people that make it. I've sailed on a number of different ships now and each experience was different. There are good trips and bad trips, it can be quite a morale basher if you had a bad first trip.

Try and concentrate on what you do like about the job. Don't make any hard and fast decisions now and don't stress yourself out. I know a large number of cadets who hated their first trip but are still there years on.

Remember, the cadetship is a means to an end, it is not the job and once you qualify it will be like a new world and you may remember why you got into this job in the first place.

Hope this helps,

feel free to ask anything else you like

To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Im not going to comment on hating the sea time or not that is something you have to sort out for yourself.

I would advise sticking the training out for the next 5 months and getting something out of the time you have already spent qualification wise. If you do change your mind about pursuing a career then you have your ticket and can. Quit now and you loose that option.

Also if you do go off and do something else you will get the question 'why did you quit prior to the end of the course?' what ever you do next. Unless you have a good answer to this question it will probably reflect badly on you.
      Wise man says.... " Enough with the stupid questions "

Comment

I agree with Randomist, have a break and a relax and see how you feel.

I can understand hating the North Sea (my personal hell), but it's just to get you qualified. Who knows, maybe you would enjoy deep sea more?

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about your sea time?
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it probably is far too early for me to be making rash decisions based on one trip. I'll at least wait and see what my next trip is like.

My reasons for not liking sea may seem ridiculous and even petty to some, but they really had an effect on me. I found boredom to be number one enemy, closely followed by seasickness and not having a huge amount in common with the crew. They were all nice guys, but the average age was 50+ and they all had their own chat and banter that I barely understood (the North East accents didn't help!) - it could make it pretty lonely at times. Also missed people back home quite a lot, but for a first trip (or any trip!) I'm sure this is normal and just something I'll get used to.

Yeti

Comment

Don't worry too much. I was always told that if you have a rough first trip, stick it out and do a second, because every ship is different. To be honest, my first trip was a bit of a nightmare and I didn't enjoy it that much, but the other trips were better. I've come across a few people with seasickness, and I wouldn't be shy to recommend taking some seasick tablets away with you.
            Once you have your ticket, it opens a lot of doors for you and may even lead to a shorebased job on a decent salary without any further experience, also proves to anyone else that you have the attitude to complete something rather then quit when it gets tough.

I'd say, stick it out, its not much more to go. I've seen too many people quit late in the game, and regret it a few years later.

Comment

Reading your worries Yeti, I'd say their not uncommon complaints from the majority of cadets. These are some of the things that come up the most.

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

No dont quit, not just after the first trip. Try second trip and see how that goes.

Boredom...take books and magazines with you, become a black belt at Soduko and similar
                Getting in with the banter, for that I guess it's up to you that part, but listening to the tall tales and joining in will kind of help with that (but as a grown man you knew that already!)
                Sea Sickness....tell me about it I still get it occasionally usually when the weather changes from flat calm to rough as feck or some of the really really odd swells that roam about the oceans.

Have another go and if still not happy talk with your company but really I would stick it out now and get the bits of paper and then maybe try bigger boats, tankers, bulkies, containers heck even cruise ships (if you must!) they dont move so much as the tugs (well they shouldnt anyway!)
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X