Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of heart

I’m currently in the middle of phase 4 as a deck cadet. I’ve got less than 6 months sea time but I’m starting to think that a career at sea isn’t for me.
    it’s very likely that I won’t want to work at sea once I’m qualified so is there any point in me continuing with the cadetship?
    I’ve already been awarded my HND (on the FD route).

I do want to continue in the maritime industry on land so is it possible to do a top-up course to a full degree from an HND?

If you want to work in the maritime industry ashore you’d be best off completing the cadetship I think.

You can top up the HND to a bachelors degree but you’ll end up in a job pool with loads of other bachelor educated nautical scientists or whatever they’re called essentially struggling for jobs because qualified and experienced seafarers with bachelors degrees take the jobs. I know a few engineers and deck guys that dropped out with just their HNC/D and went to uni to top it up and none of them are working in the marine sector now, they’re doing totally irrelevant and pretty low paying jobs as they’re qualified with qualification that doesn’t mean a lot without experience.

Of course you need to weigh it up, if you’re so miserable at sea now that it’s affecting your mental health etc then it may be best to leave for your own well-being and pursue something else.

Comment

OP here

Does getting the OOW ticket and finishing the cadetship make much of a difference if I’m not going to be working at sea?
      People you know that have done the cadetship and moved ashore straight away, how have they fared in a shore job?

I don’t particularly enjoy the work at sea and just miss being at home. With more than half my sea time still to get, it seems like a huge up hill and mental challenge to finish the sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        OP here

Does getting the OOW ticket and finishing the cadetship make much of a difference if I’m not going to be working at sea?
        People you know that have done the cadetship and moved ashore straight away, how have they fared in a shore job?

I don’t particularly enjoy the work at sea and just miss being at home. With more than half my sea time still to get, it seems like a huge up hill and mental challenge to finish the sea time.
        The ticket gave some people the power to blag their way into non-marine jobs by saying how hard it was to get it and it’s a government issued license etc so there’s that weird route.

There are also often shore positions that come up in London which are aimed at newly qualifieds with their OOW or EOOW, I’m guessing it’s to do with the river taxis or whatever they’re called.

Some assistant superintendent roles come up every year in London, normally for CMA CGM, and they normally express it’s for experienced seafarers with higher tickets or degree educated seafarers with their OOW/EOOW ticket as a minimum.

But then you’ve got guys who have used the HNC/D to get into unrelated roles like police forces, armed forces, higher level apprenticeships that require A-levels before entry like advanced signalling apprenticeships with network rail or e.On power station apprenticeships.

Then you’ve got guys who left without anything and have just totally gone into a new thing, I know a few who left early with nothing and have ended up with Openreach, Network Rail and Thames Water doing their in house apprenticeships that lead to pretty good jobs; it’s just obviously a step back to being an apprentice, which is fine if you’re used to it!

Depends what you want, if you want to be earning £40k+ ashore in maritime then you’ll probably be best of with an OOW ticket or changing your eventual degree into naval architecture or marine engineering etc. If you’re happy potentially earning lower than £30k in the marine industry then you probably could leave now and find work in the ports or as a training officer etc.

Just be sure you make the right decision, we’ve had a few come back here saying they want to start the cadetship again or carry on where they left off and sadly it’s almost impossible to do so. But I know we’ve had some that have quit early and were very happy with what they did as their mental health and outlook on life changed positively.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          OP here

I know a lad who moved straight ashore after his cadetship and got a trainee Shipbroker role fairly quickly. The OOW ticket is, without a doubt, what separated him from the usual stream of applicants. Unfortunately, in the city at least, an HND/FD alone is barely worth the paper it's written on.

I know 6 more months of sea time seems daunting, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a long time and it will be worth it. My personal recommendation would be to finish out your cadetship and get yourself straight onto a 1 year top-up course at Plymouth or LJM, you'll have a great time and it'll keep you occupied while you're job hunting.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat about the transition ashore.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X