X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you recommend ?

Hey,

I'm interested in the merchant navy but have a few questions to ask, I hope you guys don't mind answering a total noob. Firstly, I'm sick of college, although I really enjoy learning and am predicted good results at AS I don't see the point in pursuing this because after the open day at Fleetwood I realized I could get good qualifications and a career doing something which looks pretty cool.. My results were

1 A (English Lit) 5 B's (Maths, History, Science, German, English Language) 2 C's (Geography, ICT) 1 D (Further Science (But a C in the physics part of further science)) and an E In RE...

Are these results good enough to get on a HND course ? My prefered company (atm) is BP I have been looking at the career progression and how you can top your HND with a full blown degree later on, plus they seem to have a good package. I have also been looking at cruise liners as I would like to travel around. My preference is the engineering route, so would someone please tell me if they think I can get sponsored ? Also im worried that I don't know enough about the merchant navy to get through the interviews so would people please tell me what I should know and how to approach the interviews if I get offered one ?

Re: Would you recommend ?

Step one.....apply, just get the application in, it may be a little late for this September but some might be interested, so dont be surprised if you dont get an offer for next year.

Step two....read around here, use the mighty google etc and you'll be fine, there are plenty who start off comming to sea with no idea and with out a family history of being at sea

As for you results so far, seem good enough from here, and just by asking your questions you're showing some "gumption" and "get up and go"....Dont put you eggs in one basket BP might or might not take you but initially get trained it isnt that important who with, get the ticket and then you can look to move around as the jobs come up etc. But first and foremost GET QUALIFIED.....other than that good luck
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how hard it is to actually get a sponsorship because I am worried that ill get rejected from everywhere.

Harry.

Comment

Hi there Harry,

What AS's are you doing? I am doing my AS's this year then should hopefully be going to fleetwood to do a FD on the engineering route this September(bear in mind you only need 120 UCAS points to do this).
        It might be a good idea to start getting in touch with companies and explaining your situation to them to see what they offer you.

Best of luck

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
          Thanks for the reply, I was wondering how hard it is to actually get a sponsorship because I am worried that ill get rejected from everywhere.

Harry.
          That seems to be worrying over nothing, it might not be easy and you might need to apply to more than 1 company etc, but like everything in life, a little effort goes a long way

So got on, get in
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

My situation was much like yours when I applied. I honestly thought I had no chance of sponsorship for quite a few reasons. However, I applied to everyone and got my offers.

Good luck!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Apply to everyone no point narrowing your choices before you start.

Prior experience does not matter that is what the course is for so.
              Wise man says.... " Enough with the stupid questions "

Comment

I'm just wondering.. about the being sick of college bit..

I don't know about BP but a few, not all, companies slightly prefer older candidates, as long as they've done some good things in those extra years.

So maybe you'd better keep half a mind on preparing yourself to finish college, just in case your merchant navy application isn't successful just yet. Especially if you're quite selective in which sponsors you apply to.

But it helps if you're looking at the engineering route, because deck places are filling up faster this year.

If you're too worried about being rejected by everyone then you'll fail before you've even started. Half expecting to be rejected is another matter though, in some situations that helps me stay a bit more calm and put less pressure on myself.

Comment

Im gonna repeat everyone elses advice, just apply to everyone! I think you'd be surprised at how many applications you have accepted!
                  I applied to companys with my only knowledge of the Merchant Navy being a trip to the Warsash Open Day. Then once I'd applied I set about finding out as much as I could. Because I could always turn back if I wanted to. But the more I looked into it, the more I loved the idea.
                  Some companies don't really need you to have any kind of previous knowledge as such, just want to know that you're aware of what you're getting into.
                  Others expect you to memorise a bunch of information and regurgitate it to them at the interview and they'll give you a place..
                  I heard one guy on my course say that he basically just walked into the interview and signed his name down for a place. So if you're definately keen then just apply everywhere, if you get accepted everywhere then you can pick and choose who to go with. If you don't then you atleast have back-ups.

Comment

You will find yourself heartily sick of nautical college too! However we all do, it's just something you have to get through: keep your eye on the goal and it'll be over sooner than you think. My advice would be to stick out the course you're on at the moment and get the best grades you can, thereby proving that you can stick at something that ain't much fun and come out with good results - this is something that all training companies want to know you can do, they're paying for you to study for three years, and they don't want to waste their money on someone who gives up easily.

As the others have already said: apply to everyone, get the training done, and then you can worry about who you want to work for really, cos you won't get a job with anyone if you don't have the ticket!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Hey, this is Harry again.. I already got an offer with Bibby, I was wondering what the interview entails and if there are any tests in it ? If so what should I prepare for ?

Thanks again,

Harry.

Comment

Bibby is a good company, I'm not sure what the interview involves but I would recommend learning about the company. Learn about the 'Andrew Wier' RoRo ships and the RMS St Helena which I believe are the ships they put the cadets onto. Know a bit about ships in general, what the pointy end is called and what the blunt end is and show a real passion for the position and a willingness to learn. Generally they will be looking for a person who is open minded, a blank sheet ready to learn and adapt to a new lifestyle.

I was in a similar situation to you, having gained excellent grades in my GCSE's, I went on to do A levels, but got bored about 3 months in and signed up for a cadetship. However I only told my parents after I'd already done all that and was about to dissapear for 4 months... I wouldn't say that is the right decision for anyone, and if you could go and do A levels and even a degree immediately it would be a good decision. But you can do the degree after doing the HND route and actually get a Masters degree relatively easily.
                        My parents were pretty shocked, but a few years later when my friends graduated University with degrees in Law, Aeronautical Engineer and Computer Sciences were unemployed or earning 15k a year, the decision to goto see worked out well.

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate all your advice and will keep it in mind without a doubt ! I just hope they accept me because im worried they will think im thick, or something along those lines :P but I can't not try !

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X