Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong is my CV for application?

Ok, I've applied to quite a few companies directly, none have replied within 30 days so I can assume they said no...

I'm waiting to apply to Clyde Marine Training, annoyingly, their applications have been closed for a long time...

My CV includes:
    12 GCSES (incl; Maths B, English Lang B, English Lit A, Physics A, Chemistry A, Statistics B and many other A*/A/B grades),
    4 Predicted AS-level grades (Physics A, Geography A, Maths B, French C),
    Retail work experience, volunteer work (team orientated) and science work experiences,
    A national Science award (equivalent to DofE Bronze/GCSE Science grade A).

I applied for a deck officer HND course, and want to know what I could improve on? Or if direct company approaches generally don't work?

Re: How strong is my CV for application?

You might get offered FD route with that lot. The only stuff you might add is sea or ship or occupational health & safety related experience (e.g. RNLI, first aid, RNR, risk assessment writing, etc... just random thoughts really!)
    Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

the thing i would ask is when did you apply as many companies are already full for september intake this year so yo might have to apply for january or september next year. The best thing to do is get in early. when i applied for my cadetship it was october and the intake was september.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

30 days isn't that long, when I was applying I got a call from Carnival 3 months into the course, asking if I was still interested in applying!! Your grades look great, but what will make you stand out is the extra stuff, do they still teach you to write a short personal statement on your CV? And also, if you're sending out CV, you want to write an accompanying letter explaining why you want to do this, what skills you have that are relevant to the job and what you can offer them as an employee.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I'd Definately recommend trying to get on the FD course if you can. We have a few people who got onto it with just AS levels

Comment

Your grades are good enough to get you onto the HND course at Warsash without any problems.

However you may want to note that none of us are recruitment experts and we don't do cadet recruitment so please don't take what we say as gospel!
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Don't be afraid to follow up with a phone call, pester them and let them know you are keen. The hardest point for a recruitment officer is finding people who are keen and have some idea of what are they are getting themselves into and not going quit half way through the first trip.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
              x
              x
              Working...
              X