Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn as to which company to choose

(This is anonymous as my username has part of my name and I have a distinctive name) I have been offered places by PG Tankers, BP and the RFA. Each of these have their benefits and advantages. RFA offer a HND whereas the other two exclusively offer HNCs. PG Tankers operate in the most beautiful region of the world. BP are one of the largest and most respected petroleum companies out there so I have no doubt that they are an amazing company to work for. All have great job prospects at the end. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies or know anyone that has? Thanks in advance. Stay safe ✌️

I don't have any experience of any of the options but I know people who have worked for all of them.

RFA pay their cadets and officers considerably better than most other companies with very good job security. However they are different to other companies as in they are a semi-military so from the sounds of it the atmosphere is different to a merchant ship, not sure that it is better or worse but definitely different.

BP had a big fleet but are downsizing and people are being made redundant so a job is less likely but you will qualify with a dangerous cargo endorsement which will help with finding work.

From what I hear PG was a very good company to sail with but it sounds like is becoming more like a regular company so it's not longer a paid holiday in the sun, but is still a very good job.

Comment

Easy choice. RFA if you can handle the semi military stuff. You'll still get to go nice places, good crews onboard and good interesting work.

BP seem to be offloading their ships as fast as possible and becoming a tanker charterer rather than owner so perhaps not a sustainable choice..

PG are ok, you have limited exposure to modern technology, the ships are old and the company have old ways of doing things. Not a terrible choice though. High chance of a good tan.

Comment

RFA will probably offer unparalleled training and you’ll get the same tickets out of them as you’d have got with BP and PG, you’ll also potentially see a lot of beautiful places with much more time in port than the other two companies. You’re guaranteed a job and the pay as a cadet is higher than the other two. Downside is you may go to some dangerous places, if something like the Falklands kicked off you won’t have a chance to jump ship... you’ll be down there without internet for the foreseeable future!

BP is a respectable big name for your CV but I believe (I can’t quote sources, I’m just sure I’ve read it in a few places) their fleet is getting smaller and they’re slowly replacing Brits with other nationalities. I do however know a few Brits that are there and have been there since their cadetship days, you’ll see fairly good places with them (don’t know if you’ll get off much though). The guys I know always used to join and leave in Australia.

PG is somewhere in the middle of the other two in my eyes, it pays lower than the rest but is a family run company with pride in their fleet/cadets/officers. You’ll see the USA and Caribbean or could be on one of their ones in Europe. Expect smaller ships with less facilities onboard, but potentially a good working life onboard as they’re probably like family onboard.

If I was in your situation I’d probably pick PG Tankers. Although the pay may be lower I think the nature of their work and business means it’s a more secure career than BP and I don’t fancy the military style life. I’ve also heard the RFA can be a bit funny sending junior officers away at Christmas just so a 60 year old 3rd officer can get 2 weeks off as he threw his toys out of the pram etc. but that might just be rumours!

Well done on securing three good offers though!

Comment

Congratulations
          I applied for both PG and BP, I was wondering how was the recruitment processes? Did you have only an interview and or did you have to do tests afterwards?
          Also when did you apply for? February or September and when because I applied for PG like 4 months ago and heard nothing (despite a good CV and grades at college)?

Comment

Originally posted by Adders123 View Post
            Congratulations
            I applied for both PG and BP, I was wondering how was the recruitment processes? Did you have only an interview and or did you have to do tests afterwards?
            Also when did you apply for? February or September and when because I applied for PG like 4 months ago and heard nothing (despite a good CV and grades at college)?
            Not OP but I did apply for both. With PG Tankers, I sent my CV off to the dedicated email address along with a length cover letter. They got back to me and gave me an application form to fill out. It was about a week and a half after I applied. Now, I’m waiting for the interview date to come. They have 3, 10-min in-house tests but I was told not to stress about them. With BP, I completed an application form on their website, also providing a CV and the same cover letter. I’m still on the screening stage with them but PG are my first choice so provided the interview goes well, I hopefully won’t have to do the interview stage with them. If you need any pointers, feel free to shoot me a DM and I’ll try my best to help. Both applications were originally for January 2021 but due to COVID, they’ve been pushed back to September 2021 so it gave me a little more time to prepare.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              (This is anonymous as my username has part of my name and I have a distinctive name) I have been offered places by PG Tankers, BP and the RFA. Each of these have their benefits and advantages. RFA offer a HND whereas the other two exclusively offer HNCs. PG Tankers operate in the most beautiful region of the world. BP are one of the largest and most respected petroleum companies out there so I have no doubt that they are an amazing company to work for. All have great job prospects at the end. Does anyone have any experience with any of these companies or know anyone that has? Thanks in advance. Stay safe ✌️
              As above have pretty much said - I think the RFA would be your best option in terms of training quality, pay & employment prospects by quite a clear margin!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X