Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping Out of Cadetship

I haven't enjoyed my cadetship so far and I'm ready to give up on a life at sea. Has anyone been through this situation before and advise how I go about (such as fees to pay etc).

Thanks

In the first place I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying it. There are many reasons why that could be the case and it would help those that advise you if you could elaborate a little as to why. If it is just down to hating being at sea then it is quite simple to advise you to quit. If it is one of many other reasons such as being homesick, bad trip, poor support etc. then a bit of elaboration from you may point others in to how to advise you. I for one would offer to speak to you on the phone for you to tell me more so that I could give some more detailed advice. For that you will need to join or log in using your account and send me a private message whereupon I will send you my contact details.

As to the costs associated with leaving. In the last 8 years of posting on this forum I do not believe that I have heard of anyone who got a specific charge for leaving. I do know of people who were fired for a number of reasons and had to pay repatriation costs or other costs. I believe that most employers are understanding of those that just do not enjoy it and let them leave without any penalty.

Hope this helps,

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Just one other comment, if you do decide to leave but then change your mind, you will have difficulty getting a second chance, basis purely on funding, you get one lot (actually the company do) and when it's gone it's gone.
      should you decide in the future that it was for you after all there are some some will take you but it is very limited compared to the choices initially.

otherwise it's as above, somemcokpanies make a noise about getting the money back, I've yet to see it carried out though
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

If you are doing engineering or eto it might be work sticking out the course as the skills are transferable, if you are doing deck not so much.

In years past I heard of cadets being asked to pay course fees back if they quit, but cadets didn't have to pay anything back if they got themselves sacked, bit of a weird situation which incentivized people to get themselves sacked instead of just quitting so they didn't have to pay anything.

Comment

I?ve never heard of someone having to pay anything upon leaving a cadetship, it almost seems a wive?s tale. There are many genuine reasons to leave a cadetship in a way where the cadet shouldn?t be to blame.

I know you may have made your mind up but I?m happy to talk privately if you want to discuss anything about life at sea and what you?re not enjoying - I too once felt like quitting when I was in my first sea phase, there was little to enjoy on my first ship and it gave me the wrong first impression. My second ship taught me how fun it can be and now I am glad I stuck out.

Comment

A couple of people in my class where asked to pay up the fee (?3000) for quitting but they got nautilus involved and after a couple of meetings they got it removed. With Clyde it seems to be the sponsoring company rather than Clyde themselves that are after the fee. So if you're a Clyde cadet it really depends on you're sponsor.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerWhinger View Post
              A couple of people in my class where asked to pay up the fee (?3000) for quitting but they got nautilus involved and after a couple of meetings they got it removed. With Clyde it seems to be the sponsoring company rather than Clyde themselves that are after the fee. So if you're a Clyde cadet it really depends on you're sponsor.
              My Clyde contract mentioned nothing about having to pay back fees. I'm not sure exactly what a seemingly round value of ?3000 would cover, it would just about cover the cost of STCW courses considering colleges do those courses the expensive way in fancy facilities.

The OPs contract would essentially tell them what is due if anything, similar to contractual clause additions when your employer pays for superior tickets where it is in writing what you'd owe if you left the company x, y and z months after completing the ticket that they'd paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

My Clyde contract mentioned nothing about having to pay back fees. I'm not sure exactly what a seemingly round value of ?3000 would cover, it would just about cover the cost of STCW courses considering colleges do those courses the expensive way in fancy facilities.

The OPs contract would essentially tell them what is due if anything, similar to contractual clause additions when your employer pays for superior tickets where it is in writing what you'd owe if you left the company x, y and z months after completing the ticket that they'd paid for.
                I think it must be a somewhat recent addition I started my cadetship in 2017 and it does state that if the cadetship is terminated early then the sponsor may recoup up to ?3000, excluding repatriation costs where required. I had to sign an additional one with my sponsor as well which also included that I would work for them at the end if a job became available, but I'm pretty sure I was the only one in my class that had to as companies like Zodiac didn't seem to require it.

Comment

I didn?t enjoy my time at sea after my second sea trip got cut short and other reasons and all I did was email my company a resignation letter and they would send it onto to head of the company and that was it I was told I may have to pay back some money but so far there?s been no mention of this if it?s what you want to do go for it I?m going back to university next year to study something else so you have lots of options if you do drop out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                    I haven't enjoyed my cadetship so far and I'm ready to give up on a life at sea. Has anyone been through this situation before and advise how I go about (such as fees to pay etc).

Thanks
                    To answer your question;

- If on a ship: write a letter of resignation (can be as simple or as complicated as you want such as

?Dear Xxxx, I hereby give required notice of my resignation from (CompanyName) effective from (today?s date). I would appreciate repatriation at the earliest opportunity as required by my contract but no later than the first port on or after (insert date based upon your contracts stated notice period). Regards (your name)?

and give it to the master/ chief engineer (if your on a cruise ship give it to staff captain), if you have email access then send via email as well to your company training officer stating in the email that you have provided the letter to the master although the master will do this for you in any case.

if at home/college: Send letter of resignation to your company training officer stating effective immediately.

if you genuinely don?t want to continue and have thought about it for some time then don?t worry about fees, etc. if your not enjoying life at sea it?s not worth sticking it out to avoid any potential fees they might attempt to claim.

If they do determine your liable to reimburse them they?ll tell you what and then it?s up to you to determine if you do actually have to pay it or not - most companies (despite what you may have heard / been told) will not demand reimbursement for someone resigning after their first sea phase if they genuinely hate the life.
                    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I am aware of company's trying it on for fees too. I know of a particular offshore company that had a habit of employing junior officers, training them up with the required courses then making them redundant when the industry had a slump. The officers were then sent requests to repay the course costs, but on further digging this was nothing but the company chancing it - they had no requirement to pay, the company just hoped they were scared enough to pay it without questioning it.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                        I am aware of company's trying it on for fees too. I know of a particular offshore company that had a habit of employing junior officers, training them up with the required courses then making them redundant when the industry had a slump. The officers were then sent requests to repay the course costs, but on further digging this was nothing but the company chancing it - they had no requirement to pay, the company just hoped they were scared enough to pay it without questioning it.
                        Name and shame them. I dont want to be anywhere near that company if thats the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Waaarrrggghhh View Post

Name and shame them. I dont want to be anywhere near that company if thats the case.
                          North Star shipping.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X