Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clyde Marine Training Advertising........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guest View Post
    I wonder how Brexit will affect the maritime job market in the UK?

Will the EU citizens who want to continue working on ships in the UK have to become UK residents?
    The only jobs I can assume you’re talking about are CalMac, harbour tugs, pilots and Isle of Wight ferries as they’re the only jobs I can think of that would be considered UK ships doing solely UK work? If so, any foreigners working there will be UK residents already.

If you’re referring to the likes of supply boats or international ferries commonly calling into the UK then one would assume nothing will change and it will remain an international market for jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

Or perhaps the current cadets/recently qualifieds are content with their position and don’t feel the need to use the forums which are generally for those in need of advice? We may never know!
      Well normally this site would have been teeming with aspiring cadets looking for advice on companies etc but this year it seems there's been markedly less. Perhaps Gen Z just aren't into forums? Haha.

Comment

Originally posted by perksy121 View Post

Well normally this site would have been teeming with aspiring cadets looking for advice on companies etc but this year it seems there's been markedly less. Perhaps Gen Z just aren't into forums? Haha.
        Yea it could be any one of several things, I’m sure the forums died down around 2015 but don’t know if it’s declined even further since then or just ticked over. Back then people signed up before college then never came back; I’m assuming what people used to want (info on colleges, flat rents, shopping lists for going to college and meeting people before first day) is now done on Facebook groups set up by future students.

Comment

Yea it could be any one of several things, I’m sure the forums died down around 2015 but don’t know if it’s declined even further since then or just ticked over. Back then people signed up before college then never came back; I’m assuming what people used to want (info on colleges, flat rents, shopping lists for going to college and meeting people before first day) is now done on Facebook groups set up by future students.
          Very true, I actually went back to uni to do my top up at the grand old age 25! Everything was done over Facebook and Snapchat group chats.

Comment

The only jobs I can assume you’re talking about are CalMac, harbour tugs, pilots and Isle of Wight ferries as they’re the only jobs I can think of that would be considered UK ships doing solely UK work? If so, any foreigners working there will be UK residents already.

If you’re referring to the likes of supply boats or international ferries commonly calling into the UK then one would assume nothing will change and it will remain an international market for jobs.
            Nautilus seem to think Brexit will change more than you mention.

The full benefit of a points-based system will be felt after October, when the National Minimum Wage will for the first time include seafarers working in British waters and on the continental shelf.

The National Minimum Wage (NMW) and the Points-Based Immigration System will create a pincer movement on the exploitation of foreign seafarers by employers, who will now have to pay them at least £25,000 per year in order to secure a working visa.

The rules will apply to any ship working in UK waters or the continental shelf. It excludes international voyages and any vessels passing through UK waters.
            https://www.nautilusint.org/en/news-...er-employment/

Comment

Originally posted by perksy121 View Post
              Interesting that they mention career opportunities ashore, did they always do that? I would argue there are a lot of opportunities ashore that a cadetship can help with, as for the seagoing side, I'm also an advocate of serious reform of the current cadetship system in the UK.

I'm not really in a position to comment on job availability at sea but don't forget that recruiters are looking 3 years ahead, may well be that things are expected to be better by then.

I wouldn't use a lack of complaints on here as a gauge on how a company is doing, the site doesn't have nearly the same traffic it did a few years ago.

Adverts are adverts mate, have you ever seen a recruitment advert that paints a 100% accurate picture of the life it's representing?
              Careers at sea is careers at sea and beyond now, so they're definitley pushing the shoreside development too.

Comment

Nautilus seem to think Brexit will change more than you mention.

https://www.nautilusint.org/en/news-...er-employment/
                Those changes may well occur (some already have), but I don't think that will change anything as we see it right now. I don't think there is any position in the UK jobs I mention that would earn less than £25k, and any foreigners currently working for them are most certainly UK residents as is required on the job spec. All other ships would probably be in the exclusion because they're on international voyages.

Comment

Those changes may well occur (some already have), but I don't think that will change anything as we see it right now. I don't think there is any position in the UK jobs I mention that would earn less than £25k, and any foreigners currently working for them are most certainly UK residents as is required on the job spec. All other ships would probably be in the exclusion because they're on international voyages.
                  If you read that Nautilus article they say the rules will apply "to any ship working in UK waters or the continental shelf".

It's not just vessels that work within the UK 12 mile limit, it for vessels working on the entire UK continental shelf.

These rules won't apply to vessels just transiting through UK water, but will probably apply to vessels like supply boats, AHTS and offshore wind vessels seem who spend most of the year working on the UK continental shelf.

This might mean a big jobs boom for UK seafarers next year as it looks like non-UK seafarers won't be allowed to work on the UK continental shelf if they earn less than £25k.

Even if companies want to hire someone not from the UK to work on the UK continental shelf and they are paid above £25k they will have to apply for a tier 2 work visa, to get a tier 2 work visa employers have to show that they tried to find someone for the job from the UK first, a 'market test', it's only if they can't find anyone from the UK for the job that they can sponsor someone from abroad.

All the offshore vessels working out of Aberdeen with Filipino and Indian etc crew might have to pay them the equivalent of £25k per year or hire UK crew.

Some people project that Scotland might be independent by 2026, but as woke and proud internationalists they might be happy to give their jobs away on the cheap again, although they say the Shetlands are looking for their independence from Scotland and the UK so maybe the jobs will revert back to Shetlands as many of the jobs are in their waters.

Seafarers from Northern Ireland, Wales and England might be looking forward to Scottish independence as it might mean they can work tax free out of Aberdeen since it would be classed as a foreign port.

Comment

If you read that Nautilus article they say the rules will apply "to any ship working in UK waters or the continental shelf".

It's not just vessels that work within the UK 12 mile limit, it for vessels working on the entire UK continental shelf.

These rules won't apply to vessels just transiting through UK water, but will probably apply to vessels like supply boats, AHTS and offshore wind vessels seem who spend most of the year working on the UK continental shelf.

This might mean a big jobs boom for UK seafarers next year as it looks like non-UK seafarers won't be allowed to work on the UK continental shelf if they earn less than £25k.

Even if companies want to hire someone not from the UK to work on the UK continental shelf and they are paid above £25k they will have to apply for a tier 2 work visa, to get a tier 2 work visa employers have to show that they tried to find someone for the job from the UK first, a 'market test', it's only if they can't find anyone from the UK for the job that they can sponsor someone from abroad.

All the offshore vessels working out of Aberdeen with Filipino and Indian etc crew might have to pay them the equivalent of £25k per year or hire UK crew.

Some people project that Scotland might be independent by 2026, but as woke and proud internationalists they might be happy to give their jobs away on the cheap again, although they say the Shetlands are looking for their independence from Scotland and the UK so maybe the jobs will revert back to Shetlands as many of the jobs are in their waters.

Seafarers from Northern Ireland, Wales and England might be looking forward to Scottish independence as it might mean they can work tax free out of Aberdeen since it would be classed as a foreign port.
                    Are there still a lot of supply vessels working out of Aberdeen? Admittedly it's not my sector but I was under the impression that there wasn't a great deal going on out of Aberdeen anymore, certainly not at the same level as they were in 2014 when everyone was desperately trying to get their DP tickets.

I get what you're saying, sounds like we're headed for something similar to the American system, which has served it's purpose but US seafarers don't exactly dominate global fleets.

It seems to me that a lot of the job openings coming out of this will be for ABs, I expect most job openings will be for ABs as most currently employed officers offshore are probably on 25k+. They're definitely changes in the right direction but I worry it's too little too late to be honest.

I admire your optimism and I hope you're right, I'm not so sure myself.

Comment

I’m fairly sure as it reads that it will only apply to the vessel types I’ve mentioned. I know cross channel ferries won’t be bound by these rules, and they only go 30 miles to France on “international voyages” which excludes them from rules.

Supply boats etc already bend the rules to benefit the ship, company and crew so I’m sure they’ll bend the rules if the UK tries to force them to change crewing strategies. If it’s cheaper to end every voyage in Norway - making it international and excluded from the rules - they’ll do that.

I must admit I haven’t seen many Filipinos around Aberdeen? If they are on supply boats they’ll be crew and not officers presumably, unless residents with UK CeCs which is possible but unlikely.

I doubt much will change, the government will be as slow and bureaucratic as usual and any effective change will come into effect when it is no longer effective. As above, if they try and turn us into a unionised and protected workforce then none of us will be employable like most US sailors.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X