Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clyde Marine Training Advertising........

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde Marine Training Advertising........

Looks like CMT just can't help themselves can they..... here is there latest and greatest ad for potential deck cadets, making it seem like there is wealth of opportunity for when you qualify as deck officers.

(Need to log on FB first..)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=386523592753713

"Upon successful graduation, graduates will enjoy access to multitude of career options both at sea, and on land within the maritime support service industry"

Surely this qualifies as misleading advertising? It's such rubbish I don't know how they get away with saying this, when there clearly is NOT a multitude of career options........

There is a multitude of career options. You will just struggle to get through the door with most of them. It's certainly leads you towards the conclusion there will be jobs available, but it's not false advertising.

Comment

Clyde marine might only be interested in profit with no care about the future prospects of the cadets they exploit, but they aren't stupid, they kept it suitable vague to avoid any fall back.

A few years ago companies were advertising saying you'll earn £xxK per year when you qualify and have a job at sea, there is a reason that's stopped and has been replaced by useless waffle about gaining responsibility.

Sure you'll probably only gain the responsibility of flipping burgers at McDonalds or maybe if you do really well stacking the shelves at waitrose. But that is still a responsibility you have earned so they didn't lie and you can't sue them for false advertising.

Comment

One finds it highly unlikely that the majority of their qualified cadets have found themselves unemployed and unemployable. Note that for the many years they’ve operated they’ve attracted nearly zero negative press, despite having several places in the public realm where they could have negative reviews.

One would also expect of their several hundred cadets that we’d have many more on these forums trawling for jobs in desperation if they were in such a bad position. We’d probably also have more than half a dozen on here complaining they can’t get work.

It is still quite clear from LinkedIn that there are dozens of Clyde Marine cadets that qualified in 2019 and are now working as officers at sea, you can see they were networking for at least a year before graduation if not longer. I’d hazard a guess that many do not have LinkedIn as it’s not the most popular website and most don’t sign up until they’re looking to leave their first job.

As for false advertising, no. I sincerely doubt that over 50% of the cadets joining today will find themselves in a worse employment position than when they joined up. I still maintain that the ones getting the jobs are the ones trying hardest and not expecting a job to land on their plate by sending CVs off to every shipping company as if we’re applying for a job in TK Maxx. They’re the ones messaging company representatives, engaging in industry events and hammering the agencies daily. As an engineer, this is standard to get a good job away from the sea also.

Comment

No I don't think it's false advertising, there are still a lot of good jobs at sea, but the problem is that there is already someone in these jobs, there don't seem to be many new job openings at the moment especially for deck.

It is interesting that they're only advertising for deck cadets and not engine or ETO, unless there are also adverts for them elsewhere. Prospective cadets might be becoming aware that career prospects are generally worse for deck than engine and ETO so maybe that is why they're having to advertise.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            No I don't think it's false advertising, there are still a lot of good jobs at sea, but the problem is that there is already someone in these jobs, there don't seem to be many new job openings at the moment especially for deck.

It is interesting that they're only advertising for deck cadets and not engine or ETO, unless there are also adverts for them elsewhere. Prospective cadets might be becoming aware that career prospects are generally worse for deck than engine and ETO so maybe that is why they're having to advertise.

So? What's the difference? Lots of good jobs but can't get them cos there are enough Qualified Officers already? Pretty poor argument there.

It seems most of the replies have missed the point. It's clearly misleading to give the impression that there are lots of potential jobs when there really isn't.

And agibs98 remark about how there is no negative press so far. How about the this thread? How about many other threads about it? Plus if you mean that cadets should stand up and be public about it if they aren't happy, do you really not understand that they would most certainly get in trouble and probably blacklisted from clydes recruitment side when they qualify? Not to mention other agencies quite possibly?

The amount of sycophants in the industry is just ridiculous, constantly defending these players who make their milk out of cadets. Pyramid scheme.

Comment

Interesting that they mention career opportunities ashore, did they always do that? I would argue there are a lot of opportunities ashore that a cadetship can help with, as for the seagoing side, I'm also an advocate of serious reform of the current cadetship system in the UK.

I'm not really in a position to comment on job availability at sea but don't forget that recruiters are looking 3 years ahead, may well be that things are expected to be better by then.

I wouldn't use a lack of complaints on here as a gauge on how a company is doing, the site doesn't have nearly the same traffic it did a few years ago.

Adverts are adverts mate, have you ever seen a recruitment advert that paints a 100% accurate picture of the life it's representing?

Comment

So? What's the difference? Lots of good jobs but can't get them cos there are enough Qualified Officers already? Pretty poor argument there.

It seems most of the replies have missed the point. It's clearly misleading to give the impression that there are lots of potential jobs when there really isn't.

And agibs98 remark about how there is no negative press so far. How about the this thread? How about many other threads about it? Plus if you mean that cadets should stand up and be public about it if they aren't happy, do you really not understand that they would most certainly get in trouble and probably blacklisted from clydes recruitment side when they qualify? Not to mention other agencies quite possibly?

The amount of sycophants in the industry is just ridiculous, constantly defending these players who make their milk out of cadets. Pyramid scheme.
                Although I agree with most of your points, especially about some on here who go out of the way to defend against the imminent tide of truth. I have to correct you in stating that Clyde Marine Training and Clyde Marine Recruitment are related in name only. They are operated by two different companies.

Comment

Although I agree with most of your points, especially about some on here who go out of the way to defend against the imminent tide of truth. I have to correct you in stating that Clyde Marine Training and Clyde Marine Recruitment are related in name only. They are operated by two different companies.
                  The only anecdotal evidence we have of unemployment is potentially 5-6 people on here stating so. I've seen nothing anywhere else that is showing factual evidence that unemployment in seafarers is any higher than in other industries. Perhaps you'd like to point us to the facts so there is a better discussion?

My anecdotal evidence to counter your anecdotal evidence is that nobody I know is unemployed after their cadetship, nor have we ever been when we didn't want to be (deck, ETO and engine included), we're all rather happy with where we are.

I haven't seen this discussion anywhere else. There are jobs where the training is diabolically unfair to those who embark on it, airline pilots for example, and you'll see there are much less of them in the UK than MN cadets but their plight is visible all over to read as their industry (pre-COVID and even more so now) is terrible for trainees with prospects are great as: losing your parent's house when your training company goes bust on purpose.

It appears there are equal numbers of people stating what I'm saying compared to what you are saying. But as you lot only post as Guest you could be one troll pretending to be six people or six genuine people, who knows? There are a handful that bothered to follow the advice of making a burn account to comment in these threads, and it has made it a more engaging discussion rather than a troll war. Until you sign up you're outnumbered here by people who have jobs and are quite happy with what the MN has done for them whether it be 30 years ago or in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

The only anecdotal evidence we have of unemployment is potentially 5-6 people on here stating so. I've seen nothing anywhere else that is showing factual evidence that unemployment in seafarers is any higher than in other industries. Perhaps you'd like to point us to the facts so there is a better discussion?

My anecdotal evidence to counter your anecdotal evidence is that nobody I know is unemployed after their cadetship, nor have we ever been when we didn't want to be (deck, ETO and engine included), we're all rather happy with where we are.

I haven't seen this discussion anywhere else. There are jobs where the training is diabolically unfair to those who embark on it, airline pilots for example, and you'll see there are much less of them in the UK than MN cadets but their plight is visible all over to read as their industry (pre-COVID and even more so now) is terrible for trainees with prospects are great as: losing your parent's house when your training company goes bust on purpose.

It appears there are equal numbers of people stating what I'm saying compared to what you are saying. But as you lot only post as Guest you could be one troll pretending to be six people or six genuine people, who knows? There are a handful that bothered to follow the advice of making a burn account to comment in these threads, and it has made it a more engaging discussion rather than a troll war. Until you sign up you're outnumbered here by people who have jobs and are quite happy with what the MN has done for them whether it be 30 years ago or in 2020.
                    In fairness, there is definitely an employment problem, I've seen this discussion on linkedin and among apprentices in the HCMM, though it is definitely loudest on sites where people are able to stay anonymous.

I definitely fall among those who did quite well out of my time in the MN, I can also say that I don't know anyone from my cadetship who's been unable to find a job at sea. But the industry has changed hugely over the last few years, I graduated WMA in 2014 and we all got jobs, it wasn't something we were worried about but I definitely watched it change and I think the young lads graduating now do have it really tough. I'm not saying it's impossible to get employed but it's definitely way harder than it was 5 or 6 years ago. COVID has hit shipping really hard economically so this is hardly a surprise.

My advice to cadets is the same as it's always been, if you want to work at sea then don't give up on it. Network network network, join organisations like the HCMM, have Masters write you formal signed references you can attach to your CV. Also, don't assume that you're not employable ashore if you're a deck cadet, there are so many well paid jobs out there where a deck cadetship really helps you stand out.

Comment

Originally posted by perksy121 View Post
                      I wouldn't use a lack of complaints on here as a gauge on how a company is doing, the site doesn't have nearly the same traffic it did a few years ago.
                      Perhaps the lack of traffic on here reflects the reduced number of current cadets / cadets who stayed in industry post qualification?

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post

Perhaps the lack of traffic on here reflects the reduced number of current cadets / cadets who stayed in industry post qualification?
                        Perhaps this is due to a lack in jobs?

Comment

Well indeed.

Comment

I wonder how Brexit will affect the maritime job market in the UK?

Will the EU citizens who want to continue working on ships in the UK have to become UK residents?

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post

Or perhaps the current cadets/recently qualifieds are content with their position and don’t feel the need to use the forums which are generally for those in need of advice? We may never know!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X