Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet on ships

Hi im just wondering if i bring my laptop with me on my ship phases will i be able to access the internet using a 3g dongle? Or do they have internet access abroad the ships? If not are they planning on implementing internet abroad ships anytime in the near future? Because with todays technology it should be fairly simple. Thanks!

Re: internet on ships

3g dongle will cost you a bloody fortune abroad, and will only work within sight of land.

Comment

Some companies are rolling out 4g internet on there ships for the crew to keep them happy (cough pointy White star cough) , but at the moment it is not so wide spread
      Maybe I will never be
      All the things that I want to be
      But now is not the time to cry
      Now's the time to find out why

Comment

4g?? ive never even heard of that lol, do you think that will be implemented on all ships in about 3 years thats when i become an officer

Comment

They'll restrict the internet. Sat Internet is rather pricey...
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

As said earlier, the only company that have started to introduce Internet access on their ships is the Blue and White, however I'm sure this will change soon. I have heard that the Captain of the ship keeps flicking it on and off because the crew are using it too much and it is costing an fortune.

As for the dongle, well I do not know, but the one I use on land is know use at all and I doubt it will be any use at sea.

They will eventually find a more efficient and economically effective method...hopefully.
            "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
            "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22
              As for the dongle, well I do not know, but the one I use on land is know use at all and I doubt it will be any use at sea.
              I've got one of the little 'mi-fi' mobile wifi dongles. seems to work pretty well. even had reception about 15 miles off the coast but again thats dependant on signal in the area.
              "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Hmmm some muddled temrniology here
                4g is whats next in the UK/EU US have it already, also called Wi-Max it's a progression of 3g and works on phones, mobile devices etc.
                Satinternet is....well just that, a sat dome pointing at the right patch of sky doing internet just like at home, quite slow and limited traffic. The Big Blue Canoe Co Ltd have this, and normal set up it is wi-fi Access Points on every other deck covering the whole accom (box boat this is) so your wi-fi devices conect to that and then to internet,once you have the password for the wi-fi.
                It is tightly controlled as there is a 25gig limit FOR THE WHOLE SHIP including all business access (company e-mails etc) As such if people dont play nice the public access is switched off for a day or 2 at a time till people learn. Also some web sites are filtered out by the corporate filter, not all but some, and there is no youtubeing, steaming, torrenting, radio or tv-ing either, skype on text talk is fine as is the occasional voice call assuming it'll work nicely at that speed.

Dongles provide access in port if you want, get an unlocked one and get a local 3g data sim card from the dockers and some top up cards too, I know plenty who use this method, vodafone.ie do unlimited international for EU100/month so isnt cheap.
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Here at Polaris Wobbly Boat Inc we get interweb access, but the IT trolls have blocked everything other than a shortish list of websites which includes some newspapers, a couple of webfora, airlines/travel stuff, banking and oddly ebay. Also the dishy thing is a little capricious, so it sometimes doesn't point itself at the satellite.
                  '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
                  just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
                  down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
                  new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

ebay is there for a reason....where do you think the spares are sourced from?!
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

You would think with todays technology it should be easy to have fast internet that didnt cost alot abroad ships anywhere in the world, i mean come on it is 2011...

Comment

not really, satalites dont come cheap, bandwidth is limited and expansion packs are hard to fit, cant just send the engineer round to add some more bandwidth etc.

Only really 1 or 2 players in the market Inmarsat being the biggest (I think)

So a combination of technology and actual physical limits on the system...and of course cash, cost benefit analysis etc are what decides what and how much internet there is.
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Cruise ships all have interweb, which the passies pay through the nose for and crew tend to pay $20 for 200 minutes, it sounds expensive, but lasts quite a long time if you think beforehand and write emails in a word doc and then cut , paste and send...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

I like that idea for emails size4.

I like Chiefy's idea too, as I use a mail client. (below)
                            [ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

ermmm or save in message format and then bulk send all at once ...or are you using hotooglemail! ?
                              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X