Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to Terms with Dropping Out

Hello,

I recently resigned my cadetship after leaving my second ship following a panic attack. It wasn't dramatic in any way, but for some reason I felt too much anxiety to stay. It did cause a big stir onboard however as I'd only signed on the day before and it confused everyone given it was my second ship.

I'd been doing fine with my cadetship up to that point, first ship was fine and I didn't feel under any unusual stress so it was all a bit of a shock to have it all go down the drain that quickly. I knew what it meant to leave the ship but somehow couldn't stop myself.

I don't know if many people who've ended their cadetships the same way still hang around here but I'm wondering if anyone had any advice on how to come to terms with not finishing a cadetship?

It's very hard to try and motivate looking into different career paths after spending the last two years hoping to become an officer. It might sound a bit daft but I'd be open to any suggestions of things that might appeal to an ex cadet. Not the best time to be looking for work.

Any advice at all would be appreciated, I thought I'd post this anonymously but if anyone would rather PM me I don't really mind posting with my account name. Thanks!

If it helps your feelings, my worst experience was my 2nd ship. Looking back in hindsight it wasn't that bad. I guess it was just the difference in crew and difference in way of being treated. Now much stronger and stopped caring.

At the end of the day there is more to life, a realistically better life than a cadetship/sea. You will thrive somewhere else getting properly paid.

Comment

I’m in a similar situation, although I qualified, I’m pretty disillusioned with life at sea so looking to change career.

Some kind of public service is a good option as you will have as good job security as you can get.I knew a someone who was a cadet and dropped out and became a paramedic, careers in the NHS are a good option, I know people who are civil servants and they have really cushy jobs with a good salary and pension.

Traditionally a lot of seafarers used to join the police when they left the sea so that is another option.

Comment

I've had a few cadets that have left in a similar fashion to yourself and nobody judged them or thought ill of them for doing so, it's the kind of life where your mental health (no matter how fine you think you are) can suddenly take a dip and make it prohibitive to stay at sea. So you're not alone in what you've done and it's certainly not unreasonable for someone to have this experience on their second ship or on their fiftieth ship. I once quit suddenly whilst qualified on my 1st ship, six months into working on it (my 6th trip on it) as everything got on top of me very quickly and I didn't feel like being at sea at that point was tenable, I went back to sea four months later and continued to enjoy my career until I left for other reasons a few years back.

As for interesting ideas which seem to offer some of the adventure/skills seafarers tend to have I'd agree about the emergency services, train driving, air traffic control, renewables engineering training (wind farms etc, if you're an engineer that is) and border force are just some of the things I know people have gone into and don't require previous experience or qualifications.

If you fancy something totally odd that are always crying out you've got the Civil Nuclear Constabulary - CNC. They're hiring all over the UK and will train anyone eligible to become a firearms police officer working at nuclear facilities in the UK and at sea if you wish, the pay may look ****e but having family and friends doing it it's very easy to earn £40k and live quite an interesting life.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X