No announcement yet.

RFA don’t accept HNCs?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve got my Captains ticket, DP ticket, decades of experience on many types of vessel like ferries, LNG carriers, Dive support vessels, Pipe Layers, Cable layers and windfarm installation vessels but I can’t find a job at sea. There is just nothing there at moment, this is the worse I’ve ever seen it. All my testimonials and references are glowing but there is nothing.

At moment I’ve found a temporary as a postman in my local post office, still just about enough to pay the bills, but I’ve had to sell my big house as we couldn’t afford the mortgage.

Wish now I’d never gone to sea though, getting a job in the NHS or something like that has much better job security.

Comment

With a Repertoire like that and decades of experience behind you... maybe you should re-evaluate your approach rather than coming here anonymously ranting about your hard knock life!

Comment

The chances of the current government making UK seafarers must used in the 12 mile limit us slim. Remember they want a low tax low regulatory system... Think Singapore in the North Sea....

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          I’ve got my Captains ticket, DP ticket, decades of experience on many types of vessel like ferries, LNG carriers, Dive support vessels, Pipe Layers, Cable layers and windfarm installation vessels but I can’t find a job at sea. There is just nothing there at moment, this is the worse I’ve ever seen it. All my testimonials and references are glowing but there is nothing.

At moment I’ve found a temporary as a postman in my local post office, still just about enough to pay the bills, but I’ve had to sell my big house as we couldn’t afford the mortgage.

Wish now I’d never gone to sea though, getting a job in the NHS or something like that has much better job security.
          Retire? Surely you are well beyond retirement age at the moment. Maybe that's why you're not at sea/not offered job, and taken a typical older guy/retiree job as a postie?

Comment

Presumably you’re close to retirement age if your resume states so much, thus you’re now in the market for the top rung of high level jobs where companies are probably trying to recruit younger people for a bit of longevity in the firm.

That or you’re young and could never hold a job down and your CV screams “jumps ship quick” or “I got good testimonials so I wouldn’t return to each ship”.

Hopefully it’s the former... to be honest I’ve never met someone with such a vast lot of experience, every senior officer I’ve met started on one ship type and moved once then claimed ranks OR rarely started on passenger ships and worked up from the start.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

A good worker is someone who a) can keep a job and/or b) can easily move jobs when they want.
              I think your definition of a good seafarer says a lot about the current problems with the industry and the cadet schemes.
              ​​​​A definition of whether someone is a good seafarer/worker should be based on their skills, experience, qualifications, and work ethic, not their ability to get a job through inside contacts and nepotism.

Comment

With regards to the OP, while the RFA is free to decide what their required qualifications are it does show some of the problems with the current cadet training industry.

Cadets are told my various sourses including that it doesnt matter what ship you train on because you get an unlimited coc at the end and you can work on any ship you want.

Obviously they neglect to mention that this will exclude, the RFA if you have a HNC, tankers, DP ships, and almost all dry cargo ships if you are British, and you will struggle to work on ropax without prior experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Qwerty56 View Post

I think your definition of a good seafarer says a lot about the current problems with the industry and the cadet schemes.
                  ​​​​A definition of whether someone is a good seafarer/worker should be based on their skills, experience, qualifications, and work ethic, not their ability to get a job through inside contacts and nepotism.
                  I thought people would read between the lines there... you won’t be holding down a job and moving effortlessly between companies unless you’re a good seafarer with the “whole package”.

As for your second post, why would we trust a newly qualified cadet to man a DP ship that several divers are reliant on for survival? Every DP Officer I know worked their way into that position either securing the training based off their competency or paid a fair wedge themselves to get there.

Tankers have always been how they are, if you’re not a cadet on one you’re unlikely to ever step foot on one... luckily a good portion of UK cadetships are on tankers meaning a fair few every year are released onto those jobs. There are several ways to get onto tankers if you’ve never been on, but most would turn their nose up at it or not be on the ball enough to apply as and when it’s available.

Plenty of people work on ROPAX without experience, I’d say on every ship the bridge and engine teams were at least 50% trained on other vessel types and that included young officers and old. The core crew I worked with most often were tanker, container, drill ship, standby vessel and cruise trained.

As for the HNC/D thing, the RFA is now the only known about employer that has a barrier to entry for HNC holders. It wasn’t the case in 2014 that you had to have a HND, spelling out that this may be temporary and more of a sign that they’re interested in hiring junior officers ready to take the next step in rank/responsibility... it was the opposite in 2014, they had enough mid rank officers and were desperate for junior officers in all departments headhunting people that hadn’t even qualified yet. This seems to come in waves as the headhunting for newly qualified juniors started in 2018 again.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X