RFA don’t accept HNCs?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFA don’t accept HNCs?!

I applied for a qualified Deck Officer position with the RFA, one of the only roles currently available for Deck Officers.

I have been rejected even before interview as I have a HNC and not a HND. I have all other certification and many years qualified experience.

I do not understand how the RFA can reject candidates who followed an accredited course at their cadetship several years before. When I started my cadetship my sponsor did not off me a HNC/HND/FD choice, and I was put on the HNC course. You finish as a qualified officer whichever route you take.

Has anyone else encountered this? It seems so trivial, especially considering my extensive experience and the fact you can undertake the HND during you Chiefs. Not to mention I am also very disappointed at such an early rejection.

That's utter madness tbh. Not something I've heard of before. I could understand it more if you were newly qualified although even then I think it's a bit daft.

Comment

Seems to be ignorance of the part of their HR department.

The HNC/HND/FD are all basically the same, a few pretty irrelevant units make the difference between them, I can't see how not having these irrelevant units makes a candidate unacceptable.

Comment

Its understandable, can't do chief mates without upgrading to HND. Also are you sure its your HNC, not your lower qualifications prior to college?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Its understandable, can't do chief mates without upgrading to HND. Also are you sure its your HNC, not your lower qualifications prior to college?
          Correct but you can do a longer Chef Mates course which includes the HND top-up at the start of the course, so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Yes I'm positive it's because I've got a HNC and not a HND as I called them as was told this directly. They said they only accept HNDs or FDs, and advised me the only way I would be considered if is I go and do the top up course.

I do not have the money or time to do this as I need to be in employment, and there is no guarantee they will still be recruiting in a few months time. It seems crazy for the RFA to reject a substantial amount of well qualified and competent Officers due to a difference of a few modules. I have never before encountered this in my sea-going career, so I cannot understand the logic behind it.

Comment

Bit silly from the RFA to totally reject candidates for something like that. Only takes HNC people a short period to top up the bullsh1t units to get an HND.

It's punishing potentially good candidates for incompetency from the MCA, in their creation of an unnecessarily convoluted certification system.

Comment

Sounds like they have the ability to be strict as they have a lot of candidates applying, which is very unusual for them as nobody like working for them and they are always hiring. The only benefit for them is HND holders won’t have to have as much time off to get their chief mates.

For interest, I’ve heard of companies paying different salaries to those with HNC vs HND/FD qualifications, Maersk offered me something silly like £2,000 less for having an HNC in 2014.

Comment

RFA put their deck officers through HND after their HNC why would they want anything less from someone?
                re numbers leaving maybe it’s the good cadet package guarantee of employment to get first few trips then move on to somewhere less military minded.

Comment

RFA put their deck officers through HND after their HNC why would they want anything less from someone?
                  re numbers leaving maybe it’s the good cadet package guarantee of employment to get first few trips then move on to somewhere less military minded.
                  Because the lack of a few modules with a HNC does not represent the competence of the officer. All officers hold the same OOW Unlimited CoC.

The fact that the HND can be done as part of the Chief Mate course, and they will not even waive the HND requirement in lieu of extensive qualified experience makes even less sense.

Comment

Its not crazy, having a lower quality of qualification is the easiest way to bin an application/CV, its the same in every walk of life. They can be as picky as they want.

Comment

Because the lack of a few modules with a HNC does not represent the competence of the officer. All officers hold the same OOW Unlimited CoC.

The fact that the HND can be done as part of the Chief Mate course, and they will not even waive the HND requirement in lieu of extensive qualified experience makes even less sense.
                      All having the same OOW ticket is the minimum standard, not the optimum. Having a minimum standard and exceeding it is a different thing, why would you want the minimum when there are so much better out there, you'vemade yourself less desirable but can change that.

Comment

We aren’t talking about competence, we are talking about qualifications, if an employer wants a higher qualification then that’s what you need to be employed by them. The OP has been told this right from the start so no wasted time for them, it’s their choice, get HND, from what I have read here it’s only a few modules and easy! What I do know is that any big gov organisation won’t budge on their rules.
                        Next thing the OP will moan about is the ten weeks at Dartmouth, as s/he says, that can already do the job!

Comment

All having the same OOW ticket is the minimum standard, not the optimum. Having a minimum standard and exceeding it is a different thing, why would you want the minimum when there are so much better out there, you'vemade yourself less desirable but can change that.
                          I’m the OP. Having a HNC is not a “minimum standard”, nor is the HND or FD better. A HND just allows you to do the shorter Chiefs course and the FD used to allow you to skip the SQAs. A cadetship is not a multi tear system like a university degree and a phd. All qualified officers should be of the same high standard.

Nor did I make myself less desirable as the HNC route was introduced by the MCA and chosen by my sponsor, I didn’t have a choice. A HNC has never before been a deciding factor in gaining a Deck Officer job before for myself. As I stated I do not have a few thousand pounds and months to do a HND top up so I can not “make it better”.

To the poster above, even though I’ve been qualified for a while I was more than willing to go to Dartmouth for the 10 week course. This has always been the procedure when joining the RFA, and I can see it as valuable. However, discounting candidates based on a HNC has not always been the procedure (I have multiple friends who joined a few years ago on a HNC).

Comment

I’m the OP. Having a HNC is not a “minimum standard”, nor is the HND or FD better. A HND just allows you to do the shorter Chiefs course and the FD used to allow you to skip the SQAs. A cadetship is not a multi tear system like a university degree and a phd. All qualified officers should be of the same high standard.

Nor did I make myself less desirable as the HNC route was introduced by the MCA and chosen by my sponsor, I didn’t have a choice. A HNC has never before been a deciding factor in gaining a Deck Officer job before for myself. As I stated I do not have a few thousand pounds and months to do a HND top up so I can not “make it better”.

To the poster above, even though I’ve been qualified for a while I was more than willing to go to Dartmouth for the 10 week course. This has always been the procedure when joining the RFA, and I can see it as valuable. However, discounting candidates based on a HNC has not always been the procedure (I have multiple friends who joined a few years ago on a HNC).
                            From the poster above!
                            i can only wish you luck mate, didn’t know that HND is a new requirement, when did that first kick in? It’s been in place for at least 7 years that I know.
                            what I do know is they won’t change the requirement, It’s a long drawn out joining process as well and no guarantee you will be accepted with or without HND, my advice, move on or set about getting HND.
                            hope that dosnt sounds harsh, from what I read it’s hard enough being a British seafarer today. Good luck.

Comment

Hi this is OP again! Good news! I just got offered a job with P&O so don't need this one thankfully!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X