Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Privacy

With a few posts being closed recently and people being told to register for the forum, I feel the need to ask how secure is this forum? For example can the moderators see the email address associated with an account. I could make a completely random account name but my email address would give me away.

I ask because at a time where the industry is increasingly about who you know rather than what you know, it seems very risky to publicly speak against the party line of there being loads of jobs for British officers and we need to here more cadets.
  • agibbs98
    • July 2011

Your IP address is always visible to moderators and admins so they can link anonymous guest posts to your account if you?ve posted from both. I don?t think the moderators here are out there to harm anybody, they seem quite neutral and tend to lurk in the background away from the heated debates.

Comment

• CharlieDelta
      • February 2010

Hello!

agibbs is exactly right with this. And yes, we can see email addresses linked to accounts.

The fact of the matter, though, is that we have absolutely no need to go looking unless we're trying to identify spammers or rule-breakers.

I know many users feel more comfortable using an anonymous email address - easy enough to set up with Gmail.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

guerilla mail is great for disposable email accounts. Creating new gmail accounts can be annoying as you often need to get a confirmation code texted to you.

Comment

Maybe you should ask why do threads get locked or deleted because mods don?t like what people say?

Comment

• Chiefy
            • April 2010

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            Maybe you should ask why do threads get locked or deleted because mods don?t like what people say?
            Maybe you should ask why we feel some things do not need to be posted anonymously, as per the threads you are talking about, it was getting hard to see who was responding to whom.

I and the other mods literally do not give a **** about you own beliefs and conviction about the state of the industry and have on several occasions altered and hidden id's because what was been said needed to be said but also exposed the commentator to been identified and possible sanctions from thier employer.

The mods only join in when called in or when things are plainly getting out of hand. Call it light touch regulation if you will. We encourage people to air thier opinions, just be carful the Internet never forgets ;-)
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post

Maybe you should ask why we feel some things do not need to be posted anonymously, as per the threads you are talking about, it was getting hard to see who was responding to whom.

I and the other mods literally do not give a **** about you own beliefs and conviction about the state of the industry and have on several occasions altered and hidden id's because what was been said needed to be said but also exposed the commentator to been identified and possible sanctions from thier employer.

The mods only join in when called in or when things are plainly getting out of hand. Call it light touch regulation if you will. We encourage people to air thier opinions, just be carful the Internet never forgets ;-)
              Hit a nerve did I? I?d say the current thread about predictions for the future is certainly entitled to be anonymous, as people are discussing companies. To do so signed up could affect future employment prospects (if there is any work available).

Don?t believe it was correct of Hatchorder to close the other thread either.

Comment

I think that in this day and age of people getting cancelled and thereby losing their job, or affecting potential future employment prospects, all from simply having an opinion, is it any wonder that people are preferring to post anonymously more often now? What incentive do people have to log on and use their identifying accounts? Surely not based on some notion of honour? Why would someone willingly risk their neck in the name of honour, for them to be in the firing zone of some lurking twat recruiter who's sole job is identify dissenting employee's or people that "don't quite make the grade", and therefore won't be getting a job.

Think I'm being paranoid? I know for a fact that due to comments made on this forum, someone did not get a Cadetship. This is from memory, but I'm sure it was because either a recruiter was told about a thread on this forum, or they seen it and was able to identify who it was based on their comments.

So tell me, why SHOULD we put ourselves at risk, if that is what can happen? I await the mental gymnastics required to be able to answer the question in a convincing fashion.

Comment

• Chiefy
                  • April 2010

No mental gymnastics needed, if you haven't the bottle to name and shame in your own name or some form of nom de plume then why should anyone listen at all? Using the Internet to make claims anonymously is cowardly, this goes in all walks of life

Frankly I do doubt the claims of been unable to find jobs, so many ex 3rd engineers have or are moving into super yachts I'm shocked there's any left for cruises etc. My own employer is currently short of engineers, so yes I do have doubts about the veracity of the reality, but not of the feelings you have or the hear say stories that are getting trotted out.

Name and shame (by pm if you wish) as no one should loose out for an honestly held opinion or belief and this is the first that has been mentioned of this incident
                  ??????
                  As to the original point we do not, will not and have not passed on anyone's details to anywhere you are only as traceable as you want to be on this particular forum
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Read this thread and then tell me that I'm a coward. The OP got blasted for nothing and then someone else who made comments and was identified by a recruiter, leading to an ominous comment from hatchorder about offers of a cadetship....

Originally posted by hatchorder
                    Finally - just an aside - as many of the recruiters (Anglo, Maersk, SSTG, BP to name a few) read this forum I would suggest that comments like awful, quill, spoiled by Maersk etc will probably cause peoples hackles to rise. Especially as you are applying to them and by reading the forums they would be able to identify you..................................
                    Originally posted by hatchorder
                    It is funny really......

This morning I had an email from a recruiter who had read this thread agreeing with everything I said, to the point that at a recent interview a potential cadet was fed back something he had said on the forum that did not put him in a good light with the recruiter....

I'll bet that was the most uncomfortable and embarrassing 2 minutes of their life..... I wonder if they got offered a cadetship?

Food for thought guys?

I'll let others make up their own mind....

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
                      No mental gymnastics needed, if you haven't the bottle to name and shame in your own name or some form of nom de plume then why should anyone listen at all? Using the Internet to make claims anonymously is cowardly, this goes in all walks of life
                      Why have you got an anonymous section on this forum at all then?

Comment

• Chiefy
                        • April 2010

I'll assume you read all of the thread you quoted where what I said previously still stands, the Internet never ever forgets, and again why shouldn't some one saying things about another person or company be questioned about those comments/ views?

It's not hard to be registered here and still keep enough anonimity that the above can't / shouldn't happen

I've re read the locked thread from the other day, it did seem to be heading down a name calling cul-de-sac with various multiple anons piling in, trying to do the very thing you claim been done to you, cancel thier point of view because it is aparently at odds with your own (or possibly another anon.......who can tell when there's so many about lol)

Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Maybe just maybe point 5 would cover this question on the anonymous conditions sticky at the top of the list ...... Looking at the locked threads there's nothing sensitive about them , unless people are worried about being led for some unpleasant jingoistic views they hold?

Comment

• Chiefy
                            • April 2010

For the times a car needed help in a hurry but didn't want to reveal themselves , the end result was mid jumped in, pm's sent cadet sorted out.

So for sensitive things, the overt nationalistic jingoism and boarder line racist comments will not be tolerated just because people are hiding behind the anon tag. Nor will the pile on that was happening, if people wanted to pick a fight /have a full and Frank exchange of views with Mr gibbs then by all means call him out but there was no reason to remain anon to call him out and question his info /point of view

That was why the thread was closed.

I love to hear opposing views and others experience of the recruitment /retention , personally I've never had an issue getting a job, I've been lucky to be in work my entire career, and have just moved employer with no break in employment but then I'm just lucky
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Maybe just maybe point 5 would cover this question on the anonymous conditions sticky at the top of the list ...... Looking at the locked threads there's nothing sensitive about them , unless people are worried about being led for some unpleasant jingoistic views they hold?
                              Maybe point 6 of the same sticky would give you an answer. If the question is not sensitive it would not be approved. It was approved so obviously considered sensitive. People are posting anon because companies are mentioned, which could adversely effect people, as has been said already.

Rather, it seems some mods are getting irked that there appears to be an overwhelming majority of Officers who are telling it like it is, and it is not something they agree with. As Chiefy has already said twice on this thread regarding jobs.

It seems censorship and closing threads under the pretense of people posting anon etc is the best way to silence people.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X