Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the end of the shipping industry for brits?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Guest View Post
    This thread strikes again! I got a job straight out of college working temp for Stena Line - no pax experience. I have also worked as temp OOW on workboats and Tugs. Its entirely possible, just be prepared to work a contract or so as an AB or Deckhand. There are 4 or 5 active vacancies for temps with OOW on LinkedIn as of this morning. Talk to Seaworthy, Clyde Marine and Seamariner.
    Nonsense, these agencies have had hardly any temporary vacancies for Deck OOW in the last few months.

There was one with Seamariner a couple of weeks ago but you had to live within an hour of the port.

Seaworthy have a generic OOW job advertised permanently it's not for an actual job, it's just to get CVs.

Clyde Marine have one Second Mate job on their site for ferry, but you need a Chief Mates CoC and ferry experience.

Comment

Nonsense, these agencies have had hardly any temporary vacancies for Deck OOW in the last few months.

There was one with Seamariner a couple of weeks ago but you had to live within an hour of the port.

Seaworthy have a generic OOW job advertised permanently it's not for an actual job, it's just to get CVs.

Clyde Marine have one Second Mate job on their site for ferry, but you need a Chief Mates CoC and ferry experience.
      Right so what's going on here? Are some people telling porkies then? Are some of these 'guests', training agency representatives, worried about so called 'negative' comments that might cause them to loose some of their money i.e Cadets?

Comment

• Originally posted by zrrhqgjv View Post
        Fred Olsen have a large number of fillipeno officers in all departments including I believe a captain.

Regarding the idea of entertainment and dining with pax most of the fillipeno officers I have met spoke better English than their eastern European colleagues.
        If it is a simple matter of not wanting to eat dinner with an Asian then I feel that the people still old enough to hold such racist views will probably be the last to be able to travel again.
        The average cruise passenger I've seen is old and white. They don't like dining with Danish captains let alone Filipino or Polish officers. These are the lifelong cruisers who will probably be the ones sailing the moment they start up again.

Comment

• Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post

The average cruise passenger I've seen is old and white. They don't like dining with Danish captains let alone Filipino or Polish officers. These are the lifelong cruisers who will probably be the ones sailing the moment they start up again.
          I'm not sure if they will be. People of that demographic are the most likely to be at higher risk either due to their age or some other underlying health condition, so may be unable to travel.

Comment

Right so what's going on here? Are some people telling porkies then? Are some of these 'guests', training agency representatives, worried about so called 'negative' comments that might cause them to loose some of their money i.e Cadets?
            I've heard that in recent eyars a lot of new Deck cadets in the UK drop out of the course after about 6 months once they realised they've been lied to and there are actually hardly any good job openings when they qualify.

I wonder if colleges and training providers etc. still get the all the government funding if cadets drop out so early?

It wouldn't seem right if they did, prospective cadets seem to be fed misinformation to get them to join up.

Comment

I'm not sure if they will be. People of that demographic are the most likely to be at higher risk either due to their age or some other underlying health condition, so may be unable to travel.
              They definitely are most likely to be at higher risk but a fair proportion of them (just like the under 30s) don't seem to give a flying sh*t about what is going on right now, it mostly seems to be the wealthier looking ones in my area that are wondering around supermarkets without masks and not respecting other people's personal space. In my experience it's these kind of people that are the cruise addicts that do the world cruises every spring. I'm also aware how cruise companies market and prey on certain demographics and it wouldn't surprise me if they've calculated a way to get these people back onboard as they're the big spenders.

Before COVID they were generally ones climbing the "tier" systems onboard and felt like they were getting a good deal as "diamond cruisers" or whatever, whereas in reality if they had the knowhow to shop around online they'd get much better deals without having to have spent £50,000 in the last 10 years cruising.

It will certainly be interesting to see, but I'd cautiously put my money on the old fogies returning to sea quicker than the younger cruisers who tend to either be families (who will likely be more concerned for their safety) or first timers/trip of a life timers.

Comment

They definitely are most likely to be at higher risk but a fair proportion of them (just like the under 30s) don't seem to give a flying sh*t about what is going on right now, it mostly seems to be the wealthier looking ones in my area that are wondering around supermarkets without masks and not respecting other people's personal space. In my experience it's these kind of people that are the cruise addicts that do the world cruises every spring. I'm also aware how cruise companies market and prey on certain demographics and it wouldn't surprise me if they've calculated a way to get these people back onboard as they're the big spenders.

Before COVID they were generally ones climbing the "tier" systems onboard and felt like they were getting a good deal as "diamond cruisers" or whatever, whereas in reality if they had the knowhow to shop around online they'd get much better deals without having to have spent £50,000 in the last 10 years cruising.

It will certainly be interesting to see, but I'd cautiously put my money on the old fogies returning to sea quicker than the younger cruisers who tend to either be families (who will likely be more concerned for their safety) or first timers/trip of a life timers.
                I think you might be right, it is depressing to think that our future career prospects are reliant on old people being stupid and racist.

Comment

I think you might be right, it is depressing to think that our future career prospects are reliant on old people being stupid and racist.
                  Even more depressing when our nation's future prospects is the result of the same people...

Comment

Even more depressing when our nation's future prospects is the result of the same people...
                    Very true, I think the shipping industry is probably dead and buried but thats the least of our worries.

Comment

• Yeah we are all doomed

Comment

• Cruise companies will start in the US again late December if not then early January I assure you, with new ships constantly coming out this is probably going to be the best bet in actual fact in the future I believe!

Comment

Cruise companies will start in the US again late December if not then early January I assure you, with new ships constantly coming out this is probably going to be the best bet in actual fact in the future I believe!
                          That MAY be, but even if it is, the terms and conditions and pay will be crap compared to what it was - and it wasn't the best in the first place!

Comment

• Most young people entering this industry are wasting their time and would be better off quitting early.

The British Government (and the opposition) are fully committed to globalization and 'neo-liberalism' and have no interest in furthering the prospects for younger people within this industry. In the age of outsourced labor, global air transport and other technological advances there is no requirement for 'First World' crews on ships. The industry can run quite well without any of us, as it does almost everywhere (including pilotage). Its supply and demand, quantity over quality, welcome to the race to the bottom folks. This race can only be stopped by significant government legislation, which the older generation and their business interests will scuttle at the first opportunity in order to maintain the status quo.

Tonnage Tax and the SMART scheme were introduced after the Falklands and Gulf War I for Defence logistics purposes. Due to Britains diminishing role within the world (both militarily and economically) sooner or later both these schemes will be cut, and that will be the final nail in the coffin. The 'training companies' or 'agencies' are self serving low level economic actors, the 21st century equivalent of the infamous crimps in the age of sail, and have no larger plan beyond pillaging as much treasure as they can from the ship before it runs aground or sinks.

If your looking for somebody to blame, blame the older generation, who have consistently and aggressively voted for their own interest over the last 50 years at the expense of future generations, who are the only beneficiaries of Britain's industrial sell out, and will leave only their debts for the next generation(s) to repay when they eventually die off. The Baby Boomer generation dictate the political agenda in the United Kingdom, and other than having access to cheap cruises crewed by Third World labour, importing crap from Asia and cheap oil from the Middle East on 'cost efficient' foreign owned vessels, they have very little interest in the shipping industry or your employment. FACT.

Its over folks, just as with many other aspects of change COVID has simply accelerated the process, be the smart one and get out the door early. For those of you under 40 years of age, you still have another 30+ years left in the workforce, go and retrain, find something better to do with your life than waste your time within this futile and wrecked industry.

Comment

• Hear hear Stuff it I'm quitting

Comment

• It doesn't help either that we have no union that will fight exclusively for the rights of seafarers from the UK, nautilus accepts anyone and everyone from any country so can't be seen to be fighting exclusively for seafarers from the UK.

Maybe the RMT is a UK only union, don't know much about them, but they seem to be mainly for ratings.

I think almost every other seafaring country in the world has a union that is exclusively for officers who are citizens of the specific country the union is based in.

Lots of younger people seem to have undergone woke indoctrination in schools, if you mention anything about protecting UK seafarers jobs they call you a racist or quote the South Park "they too our jobs" scene. They are so woke they seem to enjoy seeing UK seafarers being replaced by people from lower wage countries.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X