Writing a statement of facts/disciplinary

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing a statement of facts/disciplinary

I've been asked to write a statement of facts relating to a breach(es) of the company drug and alcohol policy by a senior officer. Does anyone have any advice on this?

A couple of bits of info:

I didn't bring the complaint against him (got a phone call from the office while on leave)

I think he will get to see the statement at his disciplinary meeting

If he doesn't get fired I might have to sail with him again

I looked on the Nautilus website but couldn't see much other than the option to give them a phone

You can go one of several ways I guess... you can refuse to give the statement and say you’re not comfortable, don’t feel safe doing it or any other valid excuse.

If you know they’re guilty and you’re an honest guy then you can state the facts and probably be safe in the mind they’ll be fired for gross misconduct.

If you know they’re guilty and don’t want to incriminate them because they’re a mate then you can get away with saying “I saw nothing, I know nothing” which is a valid statement as much as the other options.

If you can ring Nautilus they’d be a great help if you can get through to their legal advice line, I know it’s not easy at sea though. You can always ring a parent or mate at home and ask them to ring for you and share the advice onwards to you. If you’re not a member maybe see if a friend is and they’re willing to pretend to be you... dishonest and against the idea of a union but hey ho!

Dont be pressured into anything you’re not comfortable with, first and foremost! Secondly, get assurance you’ll remain anonymous and don’t say anything that will let the officer know it’s you!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
      I've been asked to write a statement of facts relating to a breach(es) of the company drug and alcohol policy by a senior officer. Does anyone have any advice on this?

A couple of bits of info:

I didn't bring the complaint against him (got a phone call from the office while on leave)

I think he will get to see the statement at his disciplinary meeting

If he doesn't get fired I might have to sail with him again

I looked on the Nautilus website but couldn't see much other than the option to give them a phone
      The company have obviously got reason to believe a breach of their policy has occurred and are thus asking for statements from person who are involved / should have some involvement with the events, a statement of facts is exactly what it says it is, it's simply a statement of factual events - you write what you are aware of and when you were aware of it, such as;

On 1st of December 2020 it appeared that blah was blah
      On 2nd of December 2020 blah was doing blah / appeared to be blah
      On 3rd of December 2020 blah came on the bridge to relieve me from my watch, I was not aware of anything unusual and handed over without incident.

Do not state any personal opinions or anything that is not a fact... for instance, you can not claim someone was intoxicated unless you carried out an alcohol test with an appropriately calibrated device by an authorised person with suitable witnesses (well you can, but you'll lose) - thus do not ever state someone was intoxicated/drunk...

If your company has asked you to provide it, then they obviously feel that you should have sufficient knowledge of the events for one reason or another (such as you should have been working with the person at the times they suspect or another person has indicated in their statement/complaint that you were aware).

If you genuinely have nothing to state / no knowledge of the events then simply state that.

As for anonymity - this will depend on your companies process, but generally, yes the person concerned would be entitled to see what "evidence" has been put against them. If it is truthful then there should be no problem.

As for repercussions, it would be unlikely - if the person was to "survive" the disciplinary process, should they even be suspected of any kind of retaliation against someone involved they would be instantly fired.
      “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Thank you both for the advice. Much appreciated

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X