Cruise ship food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise ship food

Are officers allowed to eat in the buffet resturant on most cruise ships free?

Depends on your 'rank' and the cruise line tbh. Mostly yes, Deck/Engineers of all stripes can generally eat in the buffet guest restaurant for free, but only at quiet times. But for the fancy restaurants no way, you'll need to pay a table charge or similar thing, and get permission off the Hotel Manager if you are lower striped. There's loads of unwritten rules you need to get used to with regards to your privileges on cruise ships. Most cruise lines crews are decent towards Deck/Engine Officers and generally respect our job, but you do get a few who 'try it on' and it does piss you off sometimes.

For example, some of the poorer cruise lines so I've heard, don't even allow Cadets in public areas at all if they aren't working, which is a bunch of crap in my opinion. What if they wanted to do stuff out-with their TRB tasks etc and in their own time for example, walk the route a pax would have to take for their specific muster station so the cadet gets a better idea of the layout of ship and evacuation process, and a Hotel Officer stopped you and asked you what you were doing and told you off for it? I have no idea if that is the actual case, just what I've heard from colleagues!

Comment

So major players like P&O MSC etc you be OK and do thirds share cabins?

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        Best to ask the specific companies themselves if there?? is a specific company you have in mind. there isnt going to be a single hard and fast answer for these questions as it varies across the industry.
        27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          I highly highly highly doubt any Deck or Engine Officers will be sharing cabins as they have to keep a watch. Cadets share, but they aren't qualified yet and aren't responsible for anything onboard. But Cadets tend to get generous cabins by the crews standard anyway, usually shared pretty staff standard with a table so they can study. But that varies within cruise lines and the cabins are still quite small no matter the rank. Well, apart from the Captain obviously!

I'd say P&O are one of the better ones out there. Not sure about MSC.

Comment

Royal Caribbean will let any deck or engine officer eat in the passenger buffet restaurant, but you’re back of the line if it’s busy and have to wait for passengers. You can get into specialty restaurants if you’re willing to pay the subsidy, which is something like $8 for a burger in the burger place. When you’re 3 stripes and above you have room service to your cabin for a small fee. You have to wear your best uniform after 6pm onboard and 99% of the time the officers can’t be arsed to get changed and go for ****ty buffet food... they’ll eat the same buffet food in the crew mess then get ****faced on the focsle with their crewmates. Expect $1 for a Corona and 5$ for a cocktail at the crew bar.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X