Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quitting Anglo Eastern. Liable for repayment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting Anglo Eastern. Liable for repayment?

I'm hoping someone has advice on quitting my cadetship. I feel as though this whole thing has been frustrating from day one. No one really cares as long as you get to the end and the company get their tax relief and the colleges get their money. I doubt I'll get a job with anyone I'd want to work for and this whole thing is really affecting my mental health at the moment.

I'm scared that if I quit, the company will not only come after me for money but my father also. I cannot let that happen but it feels like I really can't go on and I really don't know what to do about it.

Does anyone have any experience of quitting or knowledge of companies coming after you for repayments?

Thank you.

I've never heard of anyone being chased for payments, it seems to be a bit of a myth that people use to scare each other. I would recommend you leave on good terms though, to reduce the chance of them being mad at you - which as I say I think is unlikely anyway.

You should contact your training officer in confidence and explain that your mental health is suffering because of the course, you shouldn't have to explain in much more detail but they should respect that.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. I only ask here as in my contract it does state that I, or the surety that I got to sign my contract (my Father) are liable. I am on good terms with everyone at the moment. I think I'm a good cadet. All my grades are good and so is my attendance.

Comment

I know of two people who AE chased for money when they left - both were phase 3. My advice would be to speak to your CTO or CTM (if they still have a CTM) about your worries and concerns, alongside the CLO or counsellor at college and see what they say. The union may also be able to help, although I wouldn't count on them being able to fix everything.. They're good for some things, utterly useless for others.
        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Thank you for the reply. I only ask here as in my contract it does state that I, or the surety that I got to sign my contract (my Father) are liable. I am on good terms with everyone at the moment. I think I'm a good cadet. All my grades are good and so is my attendance.
          The fact you believe you're a good cadet will add to the sincerity of a grievance of this nature, and in today the hot topic for employers and employee wellbeing is mental health. If you're really worried about the unlikely consequences you can approach your GP and discuss with them that you're suffering because of the situation, they may be able to write a letter recommending you're let go. GPs are now experiencing a massive amount of mental health cases and they treat it very seriously, and are very willing to help you in whatever way you see fit, which in this case could just be that letter to release you from your one source of stress.

Regarding MrStealth's comment I would say it's unlikely if somebody is threatened to pay money back that it would stand in court. I was contractually obliged to pay back certain courses I'd been on if I left my employer early, they didn't chase me when I left early. Two friends of mine were threatened when they were let go from a company, the company wanted all their training money back (qualified officers courses, not cadetship) and they both ignored the company on the advise of solicitors - the company had no chance of it being supported in court.

Don't be pressured into staying on the course, or going to sea by anyone. If you truly believe it's not the thing for you then that's the most important thing, you do not want to be suffering with these feeling once you're on a ship away from home and support. I know of dozens of people that left their cadetships, and not one had to pay anything back - including phase 5 cadets that were sacked.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of the replies. I will speak to the CTO and I will go and see my GP. I will probably also speak to a solicitor and see what they say.

I appreciate the time you guys took to reply.

Thanks again.

Comment

Might be worth seeing your GP as a last resort ( unless you feel you need to) as once you speak to him it will be on your file.
              as others have said speak to your company reps.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
                Regarding MrStealth's comment I would say it's unlikely if somebody is threatened to pay money back that it would stand in court. I was contractually obliged to pay back certain courses I'd been on if I left my employer early, they didn't chase me when I left early. Two friends of mine were threatened when they were let go from a company, the company wanted all their training money back (qualified officers courses, not cadetship) and they both ignored the company on the advise of solicitors - the company had no chance of it being supported in court.
                Just to address this; one settled out of court, one went to court and still had to repay, although at a much reduced rate. As a note, because AE are based in Scotland (as far as their UK arm is concerned) they use the Scottish courts and bailiffs, who have a different view of things than the rest of the UK.
                Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X