Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENG1 and laser eye surgery

Hi,

Been offered a sponsorship on condition I pass the medical, my eyes are not good enough unaided to pass the ENG1 medical (they are 6/120, standard required is 6/60). So I have elected to have laser eye surgery.

Just wondering if anyone else here has got laser eye surgery, and do I have to declare it to the doctor if I've had it?

Also, does the doctor have access to my medical record from previous GPs? I had 2 epileptic seizures as a kid and not had a seizure for the last 15 years, and have come off meds about 4 years ago.

I am sorry, but you will need to declare the epilepsy and the drugs you were taking at your medical. Covering this up puts you and others in harms way. I know someone who had had a number of fits as a small child and then nothing for 20 years. First time on a ferry and she had a fit, went to the docs and they said it might be stress. One year later and another trip on a ferry and another seizure. This was then diagnosed as epilepsy which was triggered by the imbalance of movement and balance....

I know this is tough for everyone, we went through the same torment with our son and his nut allergy. What you need to do is read the guidance in the "Approved Doctors Manual" which was updated in July 2019. The section you need is ADG 7 which begins on page 156. If you read and are able to explain everything to the doctor to support a Restricted Category 2 if you think that is your best option.

With Laser Eye surgery you need to have 6 months post surgery to ensure the vision settles I believe. So you will need to get it sorted before going to sea.

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Yeah I'm not going to let this thing that happened 15 years ago drag me down and wreck my future career thanks. If everyone was actually truthful on their medical I bet half the entire crew of the merchant navy fleet wouldn't exist.

Comment

That's an incredibly irresponsible way to approach this.

Comment

And can I ask why you think that? Why should something that happened so long ago, that has no effect to this present day on my capacity to carry out the job or other positions of responsibility such as driving and hasn't done so for many years now, condemn me to being a land lubber? I await your response eagerly.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
            Yeah I'm not going to let this thing that happened 15 years ago drag me down and wreck my future career thanks. If everyone was actually truthful on their medical I bet half the entire crew of the merchant navy fleet wouldn't exist.
            You are either trolling or completely irresponsible.... but what the hell - I'll bite! I'll take it as the latter....

By the way I am not hiding behind an anonymous login, so if this thread is to stay open you will need to think about what you post in response.
            Personally I do not give a flying dingbat what you think and how you act in relation to your own life, it is the other people who you will have to work with that are the ones at risk that I care about. If you have a seizure or a fit in any circumstance and someone else could get hurt, or die. As to your comment about other people making false declarations in their medicals that is complete and utter bollox! My own son has a severe nut allergy and declared it at his first medical and every medical since. Other people in this forum have posted medical questions and my stance has always been for people to be honest, and let the chips fall where they should. Personally speaking "conduct unbecoming of an Officer" springs to mind! Where do you draw the line? Cheating in exams to pass because it will "drag me down and wreck my future career thanks" if you do not pass? Where is your personal limit?

And having been at sea myself I am completely aware of all the dangers you are likely to face - you, on the other hand, do not have a "scooby doo" do you?

So, log into your account, send me a private message and I will provide you with my phone number and you can give me a call and talk this through.... If you have the integrity that is.

If not, and you post a load of crap in response to this message then I will either close the thread or delete it entirely....

Got the nuts?

Ian.
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Very easy for you to say 'just be honest it will be fine bro' but fact is when it's a future or career on the line one needs to have a good hard think, make a informed decision and put themself first. This notion that others would be put at risk is completely moot. So what if you were guiding a cruise vessel and then tripped and fell, broke your neck then beached it and killed everyone on board? It's possible, **** happens to the best of us, I guess you better resign before that ever happens!

Shut it down if you want, just says to me you dont like being disagreed with!

Comment

This notion that others would be put at risk is completely moot. So what if you were guiding a cruise vessel and then tripped and fell, broke your neck then beached it and killed everyone on board? It's possible, **** happens to the best of us, I guess you better resign before that ever happens!

??????That's not really the same thing though is it? Thats an accident. What you describe is a wilful concealing of a pertinent medical condition which could affect you on board.

If you have a seizure when you are driving the ship and run it aground/have a collision then your medical records will surely be checked as part of the subsequent court case. I am sure you could expect a lengthy jail term in that scenario. Not a risk I'd be willing to take. Bearing in mind that would probably come under the juristiction of whatever country the incident happened in. Run an oil tanker aground in the United States for example and they'll throw away the key most likely.

Comment

Shut it down if you want, just says to me you dont like being disagreed with!
                  I have absolutely no problem with being disagreed with - but you do - you cannot be honest with a doctor and let them make an informed decision..... How is that for not liking being disagreed with....

And by the comments here, posted by far more learned and honest folks than you, and also people that have an awful lot of skills, qualifications and sea time, more than most.... I think you have proved yourself not to be a person of integrity. I offered you the chance to contact me personally, so shows how scared I am! You on the other hand continue to hide and run away from the truth! I think you have proved your point admirably - you cannot even be honest and contact me for a frank and open discussion. That just shows you are the one that is scared!

But then I do not have to point it out to you or anyone else - they already have the measure of you! Create an account, then create a poll and ask people to answer yes or no to "Should I tell the Doctor?" - I would be surprised if you got any support at all, but you knew that as well.

Run along now - I don't think I even want to waste my time trying to have an honest discussion with you. I will save it for those that value the help and advice of professionals.

Comment

Good luck if you have a seizure 3 days from
                    port...

Comment

I’d at least have had every test possible to make sure you are totally free of issues, at least for your own peace of mind. You are also entering a career where making good judgement calls and proper risk assessments are a necessity to have a long and successful career.

Comment

I can already tell from your attitude that you’ll be popular onboard. You’ll enjoy being a passive aggressive at sea, sitting in your cabin with no friends nor internet for a third of the year continually.

Be responsible; you’re conducting a medical which can be seen in the same regard as an airline pilot or train driver medical, and people have gone to prison when incidents have occurred in the above professions as a result of their undisclosed medical history.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X