Funding: SaaS vs Company Sponsorhip CMT curse funding for a new cadetship

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funding: SaaS vs Company Sponsorhip CMT curse funding for a new cadetship

Hi, I am about starting my CMT as a fresh cadet in September 2019. I reside in Scotland and I was told by CMT that I need to apply for SaaS funding for my CMT course. I found it somewhat confusing as on the CMT website it is stated that a Sponsoring company would cover all tuition fees. So the question: is it SaaS OR a sponsor responsible for the tuition fees? Obviously, I would prefer NOT to touch my SaaS allowance in case if I just change my mind if things turn out not as expected. What have other Scottish domiciled cadets found wrt this issue?

You still need to apply to SaaS to cover the tuition fees - as far as I'm aware. All of my class was required to do this, confused us all too as we thought our sponsors would pay it. Not sure how it would affect you if you had a change of heart, I think you can do two degrees without paying for tuition so it should be fine? Hope this helps
    ​​​​

Comment

Clyde rather unfairly do require that you apply to saas even though your company will pay the tuition fees so essentially clyde just pocket that money from the sponsor and you use your saas to cover it.

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years This means you won’t have them to fund the first 2 years of a degree in Scotland should you wish to do this in the future as saas will cover each year once (and possibly one resit year).

When I was in college I’d done 2 years in uni which Clyde obviously new about as part of my application but they insisted I apply and be rejected for saas each college phase.

If you’ve been told who your sponsor is ask them if they’ll fight it for you as for sure there were a a couple of company training officers for cadets in my intake that made it clear Clyde we’re doing this behind they’re back.

Comment

I had already been through uni and used five years of SAAS but Clyde made me apply anyway just to be rejected, not sure why. It's a little suspect.

Comment

Yeah they shouldn't be doing this IMO. Are the course costs not covered as part of SMART funding anyway? So its not even like the companies would be paying the costs directly if you didn't use SAAS? All this does is rob you of the chance of funded uni in future.

Comment

...Thanks for your replies - one follow on implication of this issue: had I been, for example, a CMT cadet from England - I would not be subject to this SaaS funding and it would be covered by Smart? If so, I find it a bit unfair for Scottish based cadets!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              ...Thanks for your replies - one follow on implication of this issue: had I been, for example, a CMT cadet from England - I would not be subject to this SaaS funding and it would be covered by Smart? If so, I find it a bit unfair for Scottish based cadets!
              I believe that's the case and yes it is unfair. Would be interested to see the response if you refused to claim it.

Comment

Your sponsor should pay your tuition fees not SAAS, sounds like a typical CMT con.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X