No announcement yet.

Short Term Work as a Cadet?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Term Work as a Cadet?

Currently a 3rd phase Deck Cadet on a term break for a month, already been to sea so got my STCW's.

What's the chance of getting some short term maritime related work? I'm just looking for a bit of extra money. Has it been done? Is it possible? Or will my sponsors not look kindly on it?

Cheers!

If you are just after some extra money I would cast the net wider than maritime related stuff. Look for general temporary jobs on the various recruitment websites might be your best bet. Difficult enough for newly qualified officers to get work in the industry so don't think there will be much around for someone who isn't qualified. I could be wrong but that would be my initial thoughts.

Comment

CTV deckhand should be easy enough.

Up to £150 a day in the right place - more than plenty of 3rd Officers!!

Cant see why your sponsor would think poorly of you for it - although I believe you are supposed to be 'available' throughout your sea phase...

Comment

Interesting! I had a look. They all seem to require a Banksman/Slinger certificate and an Approved Engine Course certificate. Don't have those so either I'm looking the wrong places or I'll need to look at other temp work.

Cheers!

Comment

Get to the yachting hubs in Europe. dock walk.. 150 euro a day for general labour work.

Comment

If you have a car try Amazon Flex, you just drive about delivering parcels with no ties and get paid. You’ll struggle to get marine work without licenses and full STCW as there are plenty looking for work with those certificates.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far folks! I don't drive so Amazon Flex is out, though it does sound pretty cool.

I had a wee look about Dock Walking. I'd be well up for it, but I'd need to fly out to Nice or Cannes or somewhere and then stay in a hostel or something. The upfront cost is a little bit too much. But it is an option!

If I did go, would it be beneficial to mention that I am a Deck Cadet? On my last ship, I didn't get to do that much maintenance, other than a little bit of chipping and painting ( I know I won't be doing much of that on a yacht really, mainly washing and buffing) I was mainly on the Bridge understudying the Officers. I'd be a bit weary of claiming to have some experience at sea and not be able to back that up!

Comment

A good year into the cadetship with few months sea time puts you way ahead of the majority of the day workers working on the yachts. Yea its high upfront cost, and high risk, but you can make it back (and some) quick smart.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X