ENG-1 medical and omitting information

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENG-1 medical and omitting information

Posting anonymously for obvious reasons.

I have epilepsy which would mean I would fail an ENG1. However, my condition is completely controlled by medication, historically when I have had seizures I haven't even lost consciousness- I compare it as being as disabling as having a headache. To put in into perspective, when I was a kid I used to dance and once I had a seizure while on stage and I continued my dance routine without anyone knowing anything was wrong- they're internal and completely non-disabling. I've never needed to be admitted to hospital if I've had a seizure, its treated with medication which I have. I am perfectly capable of doing my job and also any emergency procedures I'm required to do. It doesn't affect my life and it would not affect anyone else I'm working with. What I want to know is during an ENG1 check do they actually access medical records? if I don't declare that I have this condition would they be able to find out? I'm healthy in all other areas of my life, I'm pretty confident I'd pass the blood, urine, fitness etc tests.

Please don't judge me for asking this question. Its unbelievably frustrating having a medical condition which will hold me back from doing my dream job. Its held me back from doing a lot of things in my life and the rejection is unbearable.

I'm not sure if they look at medical records in an ENG1 but even if you do manage to obtain an ENG1 by not telling them I would imagine it will be pretty difficult to hide this long term. For example if you are taking a large quantity of medication onto a ship for a stint at sea lasting several months then obviously this will be questioned. Of course you could just not tell them and hope no one searches your bags. But then what happens if customs come on in some foreign port and search your cabin (this can and does happen, I've had my cabin turned upside down by customs for no apparent reason). If you have lot of undeclared medication that could be a problem (obviously I'm sure these drugs are legal probably everywhere but everything still needs to be declared and if it isn't the ship could be fined). What happens if your medication gets lost/damaged somehow and you are on a tanker and not due to be in port for another 3 weeks?

All of the above are pretty unlikely scenarios but things you need to consider.

Having said all that you may find that as your condition is manageable then you would be given an ENG1 I don't know what the guidelines are.

Comment

To weigh in here; Ignoring wether or not to declare it is the right or wrong thing to do - bare in mind that should you not declare this and you have an episode while on ship which for some reason requires medical treatment your career may be effectively over - so you would of wasted years of your life studying to suddenly find yourself marked as permanently unfit for work.

You haven’t mentioned what tends to trigger it? But bare in mind most of your career will be spent looking at screens!

If you have episodes regularly it is likely it will come out at some point - remember on most ships you might be only person up their driving so if you are suddenly incapacitated you’re putting your fellow crew members at risk.

Also some employers demand access to your medical records (usually if they provide private health care) as part of the employment process (this tends to be common practice mainly within cruise industry as far as I’m aware but likely other companies may do it).

As for wether your ENG1 doctor will request access to or speak to your GP that’s down to the individual doctor.
      “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

The doctor completing the eng1 will not have access to your medical records, only what you put on the form you are given to complete prior to the examination. I think there is a section asking about medical prescriptions.
        I think your problem would be the procedure when applying for a job/ cadetship, their criteria is far stricter and almost certainly will ask for access to your medical records. As EH75 said above things can and do happen that put the best laid plans out the window.
        My advice is be honest, unless you want to spend your whole time worried about your secret and who might find out.

Comment

Please be honest with the doctor. Read MSN1886 which gives the guidance to the ENG1 doctors, also take this to your GP and discuss with them what the likelihood is of you getting an ENG1, whether it is unrestricted or restricted.

https://assets.publishing.service.go..._standards.pdf

This guidance is for your safety and the safety of those you sail with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          If you can't laugh, you shouldn't have joined!!

Comment

So the job is working with kids on a cruise line. I haven't studied for this job in particular so if I got fired it wouldn't be a big deal. I have another career to go back to at home if they found out. My concern would be getting a criminal record. Also, I hate my medical condition holding me back, even though I've already got my current career, I've always wanted to spent a year on a ship since I was a kid.
            The only thing that triggers my epilepsy is not taking my medication which isn't a problem for me. I can look at computer screens all day- although this isn't what I would be doing in this job anyway.
            I've looked into it and the best I could get would be a restricted and I would need an unrestricted one to do this job. I havent had a seizure in over a year and as I said it doesn't make me lose my functional ability in any way so I wouldn't be putting myself or anyone else at risk anyway. I currently work with kids and my epilepsy has never prevented me fro working with them before- I don't see why being on a ship would be any different. As for them finding my medication, I guess that is an issue I would have to admit to it then i suppose.
            Thanks all for not being too judgemental. Its difficult to express just how difficult it is being rejected for something based off a medical condition I can't control. I've had this happen so many times before and I hate it. Even though I know they have their reasons, it makes me feel discriminated against and that feeling really sucks. I just hate my epilepsy holding me back.

Comment

Tbf if you are just wanting to be youth staff for a couple of years and not going into a long term career as an officer then it's probably less of an issue. Hiding this isn't going to get you a criminal record I wouldn't have thought.

You may find that if you are up front about it then they would give you a restricted ENG1 anyway such as restricted to ships with a doctor so cruise ships would be ok. I know people working on cruise ships with eng1 restrictions like this.

Comment

As an aside you may find that being a youthie isn't all its cracked up to be! Good way to travel and have a bit of fun for a couple of contracts but I don't know too many who have done it long term.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X