No announcement yet.

Dropping Out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am always saddened when I read comments like the 2 above. Not because they express a personal opinion but because there are 2 people here who feel like they have been sold a pup....

The first comment about working on cruise ships and being treated like dirt. You are not the first to say it, you will not be the last and the degree of politics and behaviours like this have not changed since I was at sea in the 80's. Bizarrely back then we thought of cruise ships as being the bottom end of the scale of desirable jobs, and people on cruise ships found it difficult to move "UP" into other types of ship.... I would say to you that you need to decide if a career at sea without all the bullsh1t and politics still has an appeal for you. If it does, bite down hard on a bit of wood, take whatever is coming during your last sea phase, nod and say "yes sir, no sir" for the rest of the trip, get your ticket and then go and work in an area of the industry where politics is the lowest thing on the agenda. For me that was working in the North Sea on the anchor crankers - best time at sea I had except in the depths of winter in the worst storms in 60 foot seas and nobody slept for 5 days but we still had to work... There are other jobs out there that are not as political and snobbish - trust me.

To the second person, I do not think you were told the whole truth, depending on your sponsor etc. But even the "best" companies have downturns. A few years ago, Maersk - one of the most reliable for offering it's cadets jobs after their cadetships - offered none of it's qualifying officers jobs. Personally - and it is only my opinion - you should finish the course and at least pass your ticket. There are many jobs which are shipping related that would be better if you had the full ticket. Now, it maybe that you do not think you will pass the orals or exams, in which case then I understand your situation. As to your words about only going with direct companies I am afraid they are not sound - apart from MEF, the RFA and a couple of other trusts every cadet is a "tonnage tax" cadet - and can all finish their cadetships with no job - just the same as everyone who goes to university really. The only difference is that they have £50k of debt and you do not.

What I will say to both of you is the same as everyone else who voices these words. Log into your account, send me a private message and I will happily give you my home phone number and we can have an honest chat. I have no axe to grind either way - I do not work for anyone in the industry, I will not talk to your training manager (even though I know most of them) and I would only give you advice that will help you.

But as is usual with the majority of people I offer help to - including the original poster in this thread - people very rarely take me up on the offer.

Over to you!

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hey there OP,

I was in a similar situation not too long ago. My first ship I was assaulted, abused, two people threatened to kill me and my mental health went down the ****ter. I had to take 3 months out before I decided to head back out to sea again. The second trip was fine tbh. Third trip I was bullied and harrased along with more threats of violence so I ****ed my abuser out of it and resigned from said company. The company rhymes with "spell" and they're a right shower of bastards. My college eventually set me up with another company and I am due to finish very soon.

My advice would be to nautilus. I did and they were very helpful. Talk to the college about it. They should assist you. The college should have a councillor you can talk to. I would advise also talking to ISWAN. They were a great
      help to me during my "cadetship" of you could call it that.

You might not want to hear this but you should try and finish it out. Even if you never go to sea again at least you have the qualification. You could also ask the college could you take a year out, but in all serious I would bring it to their attention. I'm not sure what else to say but best of luck OP. The merchant navy has a very long way to go to improve itself.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
        As to your words about only going with direct companies I am afraid they are not sound - apart from MEF, the RFA and a couple of other trusts every cadet is a "tonnage tax" cadet - and can all finish their cadetships with no job - just the same as everyone who goes to university really.
        Whilst this is true, there are some companies where the chance of a job is significantly lower than others. There are some companies where the chance of a job is zero because they don't employ British Officers and there are others where although it's not guaranteed, at least there might be a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          I am always saddened when I read comments like the 2 above. Not because they express a personal opinion but because there are 2 people here who feel like they have been sold a pup....

The first comment about working on cruise ships and being treated like dirt. You are not the first to say it, you will not be the last and the degree of politics and behaviours like this have not changed since I was at sea in the 80's. Bizarrely back then we thought of cruise ships as being the bottom end of the scale of desirable jobs, and people on cruise ships found it difficult to move "UP" into other types of ship.... I would say to you that you need to decide if a career at sea without all the bullsh1t and politics still has an appeal for you. If it does, bite down hard on a bit of wood, take whatever is coming during your last sea phase, nod and say "yes sir, no sir" for the rest of the trip, get your ticket and then go and work in an area of the industry where politics is the lowest thing on the agenda. For me that was working in the North Sea on the anchor crankers - best time at sea I had except in the depths of winter in the worst storms in 60 foot seas and nobody slept for 5 days but we still had to work... There are other jobs out there that are not as political and snobbish - trust me.

To the second person, I do not think you were told the whole truth, depending on your sponsor etc. But even the "best" companies have downturns. A few years ago, Maersk - one of the most reliable for offering it's cadets jobs after their cadetships - offered none of it's qualifying officers jobs. Personally - and it is only my opinion - you should finish the course and at least pass your ticket. There are many jobs which are shipping related that would be better if you had the full ticket. Now, it maybe that you do not think you will pass the orals or exams, in which case then I understand your situation. As to your words about only going with direct companies I am afraid they are not sound - apart from MEF, the RFA and a couple of other trusts every cadet is a "tonnage tax" cadet - and can all finish their cadetships with no job - just the same as everyone who goes to university really. The only difference is that they have £50k of debt and you do not.

What I will say to both of you is the same as everyone else who voices these words. Log into your account, send me a private message and I will happily give you my home phone number and we can have an honest chat. I have no axe to grind either way - I do not work for anyone in the industry, I will not talk to your training manager (even though I know most of them) and I would only give you advice that will help you.

But as is usual with the majority of people I offer help to - including the original poster in this thread - people very rarely take me up on the offer.

Over to you!

Ian.
          2nd person here. Thanks for your reply. Going to have a long and hard think over this but I believe it would probably be in my best interest not to waste what I’ve invested 3 years in. Definitely wrote the above at a bad time although I still feel as though it is a major kick in the teeth. I never anticipated how tragic the industry was before my first trip at sea, that is when I really should have dropped the course, but I believed it would be different the next time but it’s only gotten worse.

I’ve actually been recommended by senior officers I’ve worked with to seek other employment as there is very little hope afterwards and have been told how the company has gradually but surely phased out all British/Norwegian officers, who had worked for the company years, for their cheaper Eastern European and Filipino counterparts this is very much the same in every company in the sector nowadays.

All the best.

Comment

I hope the OP is doing good , such behaviour is totally unnacceptable, it seems that in our industry many practices that would be severely punished in other industries , get away with just a reprimand. It is true many seafarers including seniors are just sexual retards with no respect, apart from the PSSR we do not get any serious training on human relations on board ships , this is a serious flaw which should be adressed by the MCA in my opinion. We stay in an enclosed environement for several months with the same group of people so it is essential to have training for managing relations in such environement otherwise incidents like those related in this thread will happen again.

Regarding the British merchant navy state , i qualified 2 years ago as an OOW and i remained jobless for more than a year , i was with a tonnage tax company. After qualifying i did not get any support from my training agency , but cant blame them they cant invent jobs out of nowhere , there is just no jobs for UK junior officers.

To be able to secure my job i had to expand my search out of Europe and accept lower wages , i now have a job as an OOW, the experience is great, the work is good but obviously the wage is very low. I am clearly not planning to stay with this company forever my goal is to get the required 12 months seatime as an OOW to be able to pass my mates that( i will have to self fund). I am hoping that with a mates ticket , the experience i will finnaly be able to get a serious job in Europe which will provide me a livelihood not just experience.

It is very tough times for junior officers without experience , the only ways out is to expand out of the UK and accept low wages or wait endlessly for a cruise/yacht job offer. I chose the first option , I am happy and i hope quite anxiously i have to admit that with a mates licence i will be able to get a decent job in Europe.

Comment

I would never recommend doing a cadetship, its a total con. You end up spending 3 years working for something then end up in a rubbish industry with crap wages and no future, and despite all the nonsense you are sold its a lonely depressing lifestyle and you miss so much by being away all the time. If I could rewind the clock and not do it, I 100% would.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X