X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing a day of a short course

Hi fellas
    Using anon for obvious reasons...
    I'm a phase 5 cadet and soon I'll be doing the rest of my short courses
    Because I'm a massive bell end I got charged with a driving offence last night (had a few drinks and got caught driving home, not massively over the limit but certainly enough).
    My first issue is is this likely to affect my cadetship? And secondly, I have a court date that I obviously can not miss, but it falls on a day where I have a short course, which is less than ideal.
    Obviously I'll call my company training officer and explain the situation but I just wanted to see if I could find out what I can expect to happen from here

Thanks

I don't want to lecture but if you're happy to take risks not only endangering yourself but other road users/pedestrians just for the sake of a few beers then I would probably question how suitable you are to hold a position of responsibility as an officer onboard - if I were your training manager.

Maybe it's just me but drink driving is one of those things I am completely intolerant of and 'it was only a few drinks' doesn't really cut it when you've just hit a child running across the road or on watch when you don't notice that small fishing boat.

As for short courses, it's a requirement you are there for the full duration as far as I'm aware. You'll probably have to take it again at another time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

If the course is something like advanced fire and done by someone other than the college you’ll need to be there, if it’s college staff they might do you a turn and let you away with it as long as you pass the assessment but I wouldn’t back on it.

If there was another group doing the course around the same time I’d see if you could switch with someone.

The other option would be to send a letter to the court begging them to give you another date as you have this important course and it could affect your career. I’ve had friends from offshore have court dates for drink driving moved to suit as it will affect they’re earnings etc.

Comment

Without judgement as you’re not here for that I don’t think it will be an issue if you can forewarn your training officer of your sudden inability to attend, whether you give the real reason or not. You could say dear grandad Pete died and his funeral is then.

In my class/intake there were too many cadets to do the short courses on one day so there was pretty much four fire courses running on consecutive weeks and same with the others. I’m sure there will be a solution for you to do the courses in a different order to your mates.

As for will it impact your cadetship? Probably not, I’ve sailed with people who have done much worse. The only issue I could see is the US C1/D visa, as they’re oddly picky. It won’t mean refusal but it could make the application trickier.

Comment

If you cannot obey the simple laws of the land such as drink driving, you've no business holding a CoC, you my friend are the next Exxon Valdez waiting to happen.
          The point that the main issue for you is missing a day on a training course just underlines your unsuitability.

Comment

Typically self-righteous from the forum...

People f-up and you shouldn't let that colour your view of someone; says more about you than the person who made the mistake.

You should be fine. They won't throw away the investment and miss the final SMaRT payment just for 1 day. However it is up to you as to what reason you give... I would tend to be honest, but plenty others would make something up. Your TO probably doesn't mind that much, only that they need to find a course for you some other time - they will likely get the money back for the one they've booked so really lose nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
              Typically self-righteous from the forum...

People f-up and you shouldn't let that colour your view of someone; says more about you than the person who made the mistake.

You should be fine. They won't throw away the investment and miss the final SMaRT payment just for 1 day. However it is up to you as to what reason you give... I would tend to be honest, but plenty others would make something up. Your TO probably doesn't mind that much, only that they need to find a course for you some other time - they will likely get the money back for the one they've booked so really lose nothing...
              What else do you expect people to say? Normalise the behaviour and tell him that it doesn't matter? Maybe the person needs to be told he is a bell end repeatedly so that he realises how dangerous it is to himself and OTHER people.

Having said that, hope the dude gets it sorted out. People do make mistakes.

Comment

All people are liable to make mistakes which endanger others - this is part of being human and hence the need for checklists/assertive communication onboard etc etc etc.

Some people make active decisions which endanger others - if you go drinking without thinking about how to get home/with your car keys, then in my opinion you fall into this category.

I don't think it's self-righteous to express concern over OPs actions, especially considering the career path they have chosen and the level of responsibility which may be entrusted to them. This is all too often brushed off and of course everything is fine until it's not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X