Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the shore job options at port authorities/inspectors etc for 2nd officers?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the shore job options at port authorities/inspectors etc for 2nd officers?

I have finished a number of contracts and a 2nd officer in an lng company, did pretty well but I ve really disliked the culture of ****ty captains/chief officers, companies that only care about money or protect ****ty people because they know them, terrible or non existent schedules where all 2/os are supposed to rush do everything without a plan before, ignoring rest hours and more which are pretty usual in other companies as well.

And have started thinking of maybe moving to the shore, a port job would probably be ideal but i dont know how many types there are, i assume it takes a lot to run a port, schedules, timings, inspections etc but have little idea how many ranks there are and most importantly, what qualifications they require.

I assume being a 2nd officer and having experience on sea is helpful but what else would they usually require, i cant imagine a "port degree", and even though im from Europe i kinda liked how Amsa operated and would also like to look towards them.

Money isnt really much of a big deal for my anymore, would like to hear if people had any knowledge/experience to moving to a shore port related job.

There are Port Management quals in the UK - and would be a good start if you want to work for Peel Ports or something at a local management level.

I would warn you that the corporate culture is 10x stronger ashore than at sea... The reason all the Captains care about money is they are being pressurized by the office.

Comment

Why not look at staying at sea but working on tugs or ferries? You will live at home and still drive ships, earning good money with less bulls**t and less time away. P&O Ferries etc are pretty good for 2nd officers, 1 week on 1 week off, £42,000 tax free etc...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X