No announcement yet.

Glasgow c+d letter after PD

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glasgow c+d letter after PD

Looking for anyone who did the PD at glasgow as a cadet and went on to sit ther c/o orals and ran into problems with them with holding the c&d letter.
    i am in a position now where i have the sea tine and short courses are all completed only have my orals left but have been told the mca wont issue the coc without this letter.
    it was my understanding that we would be exempt from mates writtens but for some reason glasgow are not issuing us the letter unless we sit the sqas.
    has anybody ran into this problem recently and any advice.
    cheers

I had this issue but I did the post FD mates course at Shields and they upon completion of this I was issued with a letter which appeared to satisfy the MCA regarding the C&D elements. I know people who were in my class who didn't do a full chief mates prep course at a college and just did the short courses individually and separate orals prep only to face the same issue you are now facing. Last I heard they had to go into the Glasgow college and do some sort of stability exam or coursework or something. Definitely wasn't full MCA writtens though.

Additionally when I sent off all this paperwork to the MCA they still said they couldn't issue my COC as I hadn't done writtens! I had to get them to pull my file from when I passed my OOW which contained a letter from the Glasgow college confirming I was exempt from writtens. This took a few days as its held in some remote storage facility. I presume you would've been issued with the same letter which would've been sent in with your OOW application and would've either been sent back to you or be held on file at the MCA.

Comment

Had this issue when I qualified OOW at Glasgow - asked a good few times but was told point blank that 'you don't need it'.

No exemption letter given either - I thought it was maybe all some attempt to make sure you came back to Glasgow for Mates/Masters

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        No exemption letter given either - I thought it was maybe all some attempt to make sure you came back to Glasgow for Mates/Masters
        Probably.

Quite why they are telling people they "don't need it" I have no idea. I know for a fact that several of my classmates have had to get in touch with the college to sort this out and go and do some stability course in the college after completing all the other stuff for their chief mates elsewhere so they know there is an issue here. Not that this surprises me given the experience I had when I was a cadet there. Good to see things haven't changed much.

Comment

Cheees guys, think the best course of action is to just go do the orals then see what happens. I still have the letter you are talking about that says you are exempt from mates writtens. I have also heard of people not being asked for it atall seems to just be you luck at the end of the day.

Comment

Yeah get the oral out of the way and send your stuff in and see what they say. Send that letter as well but I would make sure you keep a copy of it. I think a lot of it they make up as they go along. Case in point, when I was having my "discussion" with them about my exemptions I was e-mailing back and forth over a couple of weeks with one person who didn't seem very sure about things, then I got an e-mail a couple of days later saying the person assigned to my case was on annual leave but someone else had picked it up and pretty much instantly approved the issue of my COC.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X