Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any point doing a cadetship if I only want to work on yachts?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any point doing a cadetship if I only want to work on yachts?

As above, would it be easier for me just to get y3/y2 which will enable me to sail as a chief engineer on smaller vessels?
    I don't want to work on big ships 100%. I only want to work on superyachts / sailing yachts as engineer. Assuming I throw enough money at it, couldn't I complete y3 or y2 in a much shorter time frame?

It depends if you want to work on larger yachts eventually, but yes the Y2/Y3 would be a far quicker route. There will be differences in the training content and of course limitations in what you can do with it. You may find 10-15 years down the track that staying as a Chief Engineer on a yacht doesn't fit with your life plans and not having an unlimited Chiefs ticket may be a regret.

There are some yacht cadetships to unlimited license out there now.

Comment

Obviously not an engineer but I'd do the unlimited ticket (try and do the cadetship on large superyachts or cruise) then go to yachts afterwards. Gives you more options in future and a lot of the big yachts with good rotations are looking for unlimited tickets now I think. Basically I can't really see any long term downsides of doing an unlimited ticket, but can see a few with going the other route and finding yourself a bit more restricted in your options in a few years time.

Comment

I only ever wanted to work on yachts 100%. But now I'm stuck offshore on better money and rotation!

Comment

I'd definitely recommend going for an unlimited! The yaucht life will be fun whilst you're younger but I could imagine the rotation (10/11 months on a year) just wouldn't work once you want to begin building some kind of non-sea life. I can see why it appeals to people though, even if it's just for a few years!
          27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
            I'd definitely recommend going for an unlimited! The yaucht life will be fun whilst you're younger but I could imagine the rotation (10/11 months on a year) just wouldn't work once you want to begin building some kind of non-sea life. I can see why it appeals to people though, even if it's just for a few years!
            Tbf a lot of the large yachts now offer time for time rotations and very good money. Very little in the way of job security but if you are earning big money then you an build up savings to mitigate that.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post

Tbf a lot of the large yachts now offer time for time rotations and very good money. Very little in the way of job security but if you are earning big money then you an build up savings to mitigate that.
              Ah fair enough, I could definitely see the appeal then!
              27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

I know loads of engineers who did their cadetships on ferries/cruise/cargo and moved to superyachts after, commanding better rotations, salaries and opportunities than their Y licensed counterparts. Once they get bored they have the option of potentially moving to Cruises for job security or ferries for high wages and small (1 week) trips away.

Do your Y license if this is your gap year idea, do your EOOW unlimited if this is your career choice!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X