Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Marine Life and Social Life

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Life and Social Life

Could anybody offer opinions on what effect weeks or months at sea has on your relationships or your ability to make them. Potential cadet here, still debating it. Is this a single persons job?

Many people have very successful relationships combined with a career at sea. I met my wife on passenger ships and afterwards sometimes spent over 7+ months a year away from her. If just takes strong people to overcome the challenges. Plus, I think my wife sometimes appreciated her quiet life when I was away.
    That said, a turning point for us was having kids and I swallowed the anchor 2 years ago because of that.

Comment

As a counter point to YoungMariners point, it can be the end of them, especially romantic relationships. Trust me, getting dumped by text message at sea is not the one and it's a tough one to deal with as you can't just wallow in self pity for a few days like you would at home - you have a job to do. That has to wait for when you're back. It's not fun and some people just can't handle those periods of their partner being away.

In a group of eight cadets (including myself, and we're in phase three), the situation is:

- Five in long term relationships since P1 or before.
      - Two broke up at sea (one of which started a new relationship at sea)
      - One new relationship in P3

Saying that, it does seem a lot easier for people on cruise ships. Trying to find interesting things about your day to talk to the people at home about whilst working cargo is tricky aha.

But plenty of people do manage it. In all honesty, I haven't found that it's affected my friendships half as much as I thought it would. You just have to make the effort to reengage a little when you get back and make use of the internet, whenever available, to stay in touch. I think a big factor is being open with people - make sure they know what you're doing and that you're doing just disappearing into the ther.
      27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X