X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Swimmers and the MN

Hi.

I really want to join the merchant navy but at the moment I can't swim. Would this affect my chances?
    Clyde Marine Training says on the website that the STCW course can be done by non-swimmers but how much would I actually struggle as a non-swimmer? Should I go get lessons or is it ok to leave it?

Re: Non-Swimmers and the MN

Non swimmer welcome, the STCW course are how to don and use a life jacket, jump in a pool wearing said jacket, and sea survival techniques.

So long as you arent afraid of water (in the sense of putting your head under etc) then there really isnt an issue, the point of the boat is not to have to get off and swim away from it
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Chiefy has it; in any case the ability to swim is of little use if you are wearing the standard issue 'Mae West' thing, which renders anything other than backstroke impossible.
      '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
      just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
      down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
      new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

I would recommend a few lessons just to get used to being in water. We had a non swimmer on our course and his lifejacket starting coming apart, quite a frightening moment for him.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I am also a non swimmer but a keen sailor and kayaker and more than used to the water with a Bouyancy Aid aslong as you have confidence in the life jacket which you should then your more than fine just don't panic
          Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
          Adapt and over come
          Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Just remember the only time that will actually have to swim when you are at work is when it all goes horribly wrong, so being a non-swimmer isn't much of an issue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
            x
            x
            Working...
            X