X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Re: What are cadet working hours at sea?

Originally posted by alistairuk
    Originally posted by CharlieDelta

yellow areas = not a good place to be located - you will be fine.
    Nice to see they know their stuff up on the bridge....

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Haha, well if there's one thing I'd like to do in the first sea phase it would be to get a grip of at least basic chartwork, just so I can feel vaguely useful!

Leave a comment:

• alistairuk
    replied

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
    Good point there, we only touched on basic chart interpretation and tides in phase 1!
    I am pretty certain that your ships - like most - will use the MCA approved Admiralty TotalTide and won't carry the tidal publications onboard :-)

Also, as long as you know what the symbols on the chart mean - and that yellow areas = not a good place to be located - you will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Good point there, we only touched on basic chart interpretation and tides in phase 1!

Leave a comment:

• Red Fox
    replied

Originally posted by minchmermaid
    Oh and if you want to learn about something, then ask and just because you might not cover something until later on in college, doesn't mean you can't get a leg up on teh subject by starting it at sea.
    Never been a problem on any of my ships though it is a frustration for some officers that certain colleges aren't teaching cadets things like chartwork, celestial and sailings until quite late on, they quite rightly expect us to have a basic knowledge of these things but the college didn't even give us that. I learnt more on my last sea phase then I did in two college phases!

Originally posted by Lewis
    So what your basically saying is officers are basically giving cadets same reports they had to do? While the cadets want to make a good impresion by apearing arogant or rude.
    I can't really work out what what your saying there. What I was saying is that some C/O's will set reports for you to do if he/she believes it is of benefit to you (or he/she thinks you're not doing enough work!) beyond what is set out in your portfolio. I know some new HND/HNC cadets have had reports set by the C/O or the Master after they uttered the words "we don't have to do reports".......

Leave a comment:

• Dosedmonkey
    replied
    Re: hours

Originally posted by beer-engineer
    Deckies on ship usually work a lot more hours than engine. This generally works out the same though as engine work is a lot more physically demanding.
    Depends on the vessel, I've worked 8 hours on 8 hours off on one. And then when things go wrong on other I've had some long days. We work different jobs, its silly to compare when it comes to some things, we both get plenty of time off in the end! :P

However as a Cadet your working hours are very fair and relaxed, you will enjoy the experience.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied

Sorry wasn't aimed at you Guinnessman. Was more talking about previous posts from CD and Red fox.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied

Read it again, I said DONT dictate them to your senior officers as they really dont like it.

Officers don't give the cadet's the reports to do. They will leave all of that to you to figure out on your own.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied

So what your basically saying is officers are basically giving cadets same reports they had to do? While the cadets want to make a good impresion by apearing arogant or rude.

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    replied

One point to mention, within your TRB you will have something about recommended working hours. Please be flexible over those and dont dictate them to your senior officers. They dont like it!

Leave a comment:

• minchmermaid
    replied

I haven't seen a copy of the new record book so when I do get a cadet with one I would expect them to know it pretty well and if your only finding out about nav workbooks near the end of wour cadetship then something is seriously failing. You might find that you will be asked to write reports because thats what we had to do but you could fill up your nav workbook with them. Unfortunatly we as officers don't get to see any new workbooks until we get a cadet through with them, by that point there are so many different ideas and rumours about what you have to do with it that it just doesn't work out.

Oh and if you want to learn about something, then ask and just because you might not cover something until later on in college, doesn't mean you can't get a leg up on teh subject by starting it at sea.

Leave a comment:

• Red Fox
    replied

Ohh so far they have shown very little interest in our navigation workbooks and I'm on my last sea phase!

They only got round to telling us what to put in it and how they want us to lay the calculations out in the last week of the last college phase. A few of us had already started on stuff which was taught on ship but the majority hadn't really done any calculations as we hadn't be taught anything like that til phase 5. I don't think any of us are entirely sure how to use a sextant.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

It's a bit of an odd situation, I think the whole new HND format seems to have everyone a bit confused. WMA don't seem to be too concerned with either the TRB or the workbooks - seems to be a case of "Have it done for the MCA..."

I don't know if they might have something or us to do in our second sea phase.

Leave a comment:

• Red Fox
    replied

I see, sounds like they want you to do the same as us but not give you anything for it . If you have someone onboard with the old HND NVQ portfolio it maybe worth asking to have a look at what reports they have to do and the criteria for them, may help give you an idea what to write about and what ticks the boxes for when it assessed back at WMA.

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Well it looks like the operations workbook might keep me busy - advice I've been given is to write a report for each major thing you do. Enclosed space entry, write a report. Paint something, write a report. Crew drill, write a report. Or something like that.

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
x
x
Working...
X