Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are cadet working hours at sea?

so how many hours do cadets usually work? and can somebody give me an example? like at what time they do what, also how does lunch work? lol thanks

[Title changed to be more specific]

Re: hours

I would imagine this is dependent upon whether you are referring to their time at sea or at college, and then it would depend upon either the company or the college.

Please be more specific.
    Forum Admin

Comment

Hello Guest, I asked a similar question regarding college a while back and got some great answers, take a look at the link to the thread below:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1052&p=10537&hilit=college+ho urs#p10537

Hope this helps!

Comment

Regarding sea work time. Refer to hours of rest because as long as you don't violate the rules of that then your expected and legally obliged to work. The rules in basic form are:-

-A minimum of 10 hours rest in any 24 hour peiod or 77 hours in a week
        -Hours of rest must be divided into no more than 2 periods (one of these must be atleast 6 hours in length)

Deckies on ship usually work a lot more hours than engine. This generally works out the same though as engine work is a lot more physically demanding.

Comment

thanks for the replys, i should have been more clear, i meant at see and im looking into engineering cadetships thanks

Comment

It much depends on how your assigned duties onboard and your company, mine for example required that we be allocated no more than 10 hours work onboard per day (idea being this would give us 2 hours study time) and that we get 1 day as a "study day" per week - in our case this ended up being a case of we would do our 8 hours worth of watches + arrivals / departures, and we would have 1 of the 'sea days' per week as our study day.

After the first trip we were left to our own devices; we had to draw up a 'task plan' which covered the length of our 4/5 month trip and detailed what watches we would be on and what tasks we would complete on a per weekly basis, which we then submitted to the Staff Captain and if he was happy that was what we followed. I suppose we were lucky that the company left us to our own devices and were very supportive of us always ensuring if we needed to do something we would get the chance - even if it meant they had to do something specially for us and as long as we were putting the effort in, left us too it.

There happened to be 3 of us onboard at the same time, so to avoid the boringness of some watches (12-4 is not really a useful watch as a cadet - on cruise ships anyway since your either sitting on the bridge doing nothing in port for 4 hours, or at sea) we agreed to rotate round every 2 weeks.

Having said that, there are various opportunities that spring up - both 'emergency related' such as helicopter evacuations or diversions or system failures as well as more routine tasks such as tendering, maintenance, etc. and while no one forced you to do it, or even suggested it (although let's face it if you weren't up getting involved it would have been noted), you will end up occasionally doing well in excess of 12 hours a day (I spent an entire day driving tenders + still did my 8 hour watches purely because I enjoyed driving the tenders - and it gave the QM's a chance to do other stuff).

As for lunch, this is ship dependant, but in my experience meals tend to be served in the messes; 0700 - 0900, 1130 - 1300, 1900 - 2100 which means regardless of what watches you are on, you can always eat :-) alternatively if your on a pax ship, you most likely will have access to one of the passenger restaurants.
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Re: What are cadet working hours at sea?

Do you not need your PSCRB certificate before driving tenders, or is that just my company?
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                Do you not need your PSCRB certificate before driving tenders, or is that just my company?
                That would be your company :-)
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Well if they chop off half of the tender I have Powerboat L2, haha.

Apparently they do let us practice when they're empty, just something about insurance with passengers.
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Driving small craft is relatively easy. Just remember you have no brakes!

Anywho, Cadets at sea generally should work 8 - 12 hours a day and some of that should be spent on the training portfolio.
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I have a PCS & RB cert Anyway Fun stuff

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
                        Driving small craft is relatively easy. Just remember you have no brakes!.
                        Don't need brakes! Thats what fenders are for :-)

? Mark Twain

Comment

Haha poor fenders. There's always reverse, and failing that wind/tide! :-p
                          sigpic

Comment

*switches into powerboat instructor mode* Now you should really never be going fast enough to cause damage when doing close quarters maneuvers and power inputs kept to the minimum to maintain steerage. Also a good rule of thumb is to imagine there are eggs on the side of the pontoon/ mooring and that to avoid breaking them you should stop a foot or 2 off and let the wind/ tide float you onto the jetty (in an ideal world)
                            "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk
                              Originally posted by GuinnessMan
                              Driving small craft is relatively easy. Just remember you have no brakes!.
                              Don't need brakes! Thats what fenders are for :-)
                              And the other boat, the quay, passengers, etc. They are all great for stopping for the boat.
                              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X