X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Visa application

Hi everyone,

I have recently been accepted on a cadetship and am in the process of filling out the US Visa application. However, i'm a bit worried about whether I will be able to get one as I was arrested in January 2006 and received a police caution. Does anyone here have any information they can give me as to whether the US embassy will issue me a Vis or not? Has anyone here been in a similar situation?

Thanks

Re: US Visa application

I dont know if police cautions are logged or not. It would most likely depend on what you did. If it's drugs then forget about a visa, if it's for a punch up then you will probably get a 5 year one.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I got a five year one just for being Irish. Good old USA!
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Hi,

I was involved in an altercation with a night club doorman during a night out. I know that the caution was for two years but i'm just worried that this might affect my chances of getting a US Visa. My offer of cadetship depends on me obtaining a Visa so i'm a little worried that I may get turned down. I had never been in trouble before and have not been since.

Thanks

Comment

If it didnt go to court . it is unlikely to show up on a crb. the americans may have a different system
          Maybe I will never be
          All the things that I want to be
          But now is not the time to cry
          Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Theres an office in london that maersk sent my application to before it went to US embassy. They were called benmar i think. They will check it out and advise on stuff like this

Comment

Hi,

It didn't go to court as i just accepted the caution. Apparently the Americans have no way of checking to see if someone has ever had minor dealing with the police, but I still think its best to declare it on my Visa application.

My company is also dealing with Benmar, do you think it would be wise to give them a call and see what they say, they must deal with circumstances like this all the time?

I'm hoping i'm just worrying about nothing.

Thanks

Comment

Yeh they advised me when i didnt know if driving convictions counted. they dont! But i sent it off with my application and benmar rewrote the whole thing anyways and took it out. Im sure when you visit the embassy you will have to go into benmar to pick up the application to take with you so if you dont want to phone or forget then its easy to ask them last minute

Comment

Is it true just being arrested can be an issue? Even if you were never charged or convicted? If this was for a serious offence how bad would it be for your application?

Comment

Not sure about England, but in Scotland you can get something called a "Disclosure Scotland" check. I had one for a previous job and it lists any issues with my past, not that there have been any because im a saint.

Might be worth looking into, if it comes up in a check like that then you should probably tell the company/visa people.

Comment

disclosure scotland did you work for a goverment office Starting with D ending in P
                      Maybe I will never be

Comment

Disclosure Scotland are used for basic disclosures for a lot of companies - I had one when I worked for an airline.

There's also standard and enhanced disclosures issued by either Disclosure Scotland or the Criminal Records Bureau - I had an enhanced when I was working in a hospital. With the enhanced version, they disclose cautions, convictions and "other relevant information at the discretion of [someone important]".
                        sigpic
                        Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I have a the full one by Disclosure Scotland when i was working for said goverment department
                          Maybe I will never be

Comment

I had one done a few years back. However I think Uncle Sam has a different standard. For example a disclosure scotland wont show spent convictions or cautions which I think still apply for US visas. Even an enhanced disclosure Scotland will only show spent convictions in certain crimes.

Which begs the question how do the US get there info? Do they just hope your honest?

Comment

Originally posted by Beef1992
                              disclosure scotland did you work for a goverment office Starting with D ending in P
                              Nup, believe it or not it was for a graphic design job for a motor company! I think quite a few larger employers request them, make sure they aint hiring someone with a past that could come out and damage the company name.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X