No announcement yet.

Questions about clyde

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Questions about clyde

Just wanted to check I wasn't set as you sya until college starts so I can hear back from SSTG and others.
    Thanks again everybody

Comment

When it comes to Alcohol on ship it will vary widely. Always think, drink-drive rules. Just because your not on watch doesnt mean you can be completely off your tit conked out in your bed! Fires and accidents dont happen on a schedule! Although, the way we see it at our company, if you are incapable of going a few months without alcohol then you are seriously in the wrong profession, especially as shipping rules are tightening.

We can all sit here and talk about our experiences at sea, but I think it's a bit useless. Each person will have a different opinion. Some people had no problems with Clyde, some loved them and then there some who loathe them. As a company I thought they were a bit of a pain in the arse but they got me through my training so I can't complain too much.
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I don't mind a few months without a drink. To be honest I assumed most ships were dry. I actually know a retired engineeering officer( 10-15 years) and was told when he started most ships had bars, stewards for the officer and quality cooks even theier rooms cleaned and washing done etc. But when he was retiring most of that was gone ships went dry cut back on staff etc

Comment

With the criminalisation of the seafarer and with insurance costs for shippers rising a lot of companies are going "dry" now. It saves them quite a bit of hassle that alcohol actually brings.
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Good string this one - some relevant posts.
            Cheap duty free alcohol and cigarettes was the way they promoted themselves in days gone by.
            You know, the days of the winklepicker shoes and drainpipe trowsers.

Use it by all means - thats ok ( the bar)
            Abuse it - you loose it.
            No second chances, no if's and no buts.
            That's the best policy - but perhaps the least practical.
            To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
            Be yours to hold it high.
            If ye break faith with us of old,
            We shall not sleep,
            nor shall you either !!!

Comment

thanks oldman
              Thought i was going to get told to stop bugging you all and F*** OFF.
              Cheers again for everyones help

Comment

Originally posted by potential cadet
                I don't mind a few months without a drink. To be honest I assumed most ships were dry. I actually know a retired engineeering officer( 10-15 years) and was told when he started most ships had bars, stewards for the officer and quality cooks even theier rooms cleaned and washing done etc. But when he was retiring most of that was gone ships went dry cut back on staff etc
                Depending where you are headed (within the indusrty)
                Stweards doing your cabin and chcning the linen is still the norm, Off SHore tend not to have this so you're on your own, however again companies vary how they do it, some in the North Sea, have enough clean linen for everyone to change thier's every week and then land the whole lot during a port call and take on fresh clean. Others carry a whole heap and people keep 2 sets in thier cupboard, one in use the other washing / drying / resting in the cupbaord

Cook quality is totaly dependant on the cook, it's a simple as that, I've sailed with the best and the worse and no one nationality is better than another, even from day to day it can change, lets face it we all have good and bad days!

Washing done this really depends, the uniform brigade (Cruises) I think (dont quote me) get uniforms done as there is so much of it, everywhere else it's all your own, so get mummeh to teach you the ins and outs of the washing machines and NOT washing red undies with white shirts , you may even want to learn how to use the iron.....though now a days I'm not sure anymore as Mrs Chief has a magic cupboard, I leave stuff on the floor and a few days later it reappears and clean and ironed in the wardrobe......et voila
                Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Passenger ships will always wash uniforms for you - most will also was your personal stuff too if your an officer / staff member

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
                  “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X