X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival UK Companies

Hello,

I'm looking at being an Engine cadet HND, for next year.
    Just wondering, What Companies do you end up with Carnival UK. I have seen the cruise list on their website but just wondering if its just one ocmpany that you get a job with at the end of what, how its done really.

Thanks

Re: Carnival UK Companies

Carnival own a number of brands, but the Carnival UK cadets are with:
    - P&O Cruises
    - Cunard
    - P&O Australia

During your cadetship you can be sent on any of these, you don't necessarily stick with one company, though the majority of berths are on P&O. After your cadetship, you can, as I understand it, state a preference brand-wise but you'll still be employed by Carnival UK and can technically be sent anywhere.

Hope this helps!
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
      Carnival own a number of brands, but the Carnival UK cadets are with:
      - P&O Cruises
      - Cunard
      - P&O Australia

During your cadetship you can be sent on any of these, you don't necessarily stick with one company, though the majority of berths are on P&O. After your cadetship, you can, as I understand it, state a preference brand-wise but you'll still be employed by Carnival UK and can technically be sent anywhere.

Hope this helps!

It helps a lot thanks,
      Just one more thing, once the cadetship is over do you join just one company, or are you apart of Carnival UK and there fore move round?

Thanks

Comment

That depends on whether Carnival keep you on at the end. Not all companies do that, but I would imagine you would be with one company.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

There are very few companies that guarantee a job at the end. Carnival don't, but if you look at it another way, as far as I'm aware they've never turned away a successful cadet.

You can state a preference of company post-qualification, but contractually speaking you may be required to work with any of the constituent brands.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

I agree with CharlieDelta, Carnival UK ask that once you qualify you work for them for 2 years, so your fairly assured of being offered the job afterwards. but its never completely garunteed.
            Also on a practical note, there are far more P&O Cruises ships than Cunard so its far more likely to end up on one of the 7 ships they have, than the 3 that Cunard operate.

I think P&O Australia are not as linked to Carnival UK once were qualified, I think ther are mainly used for cadet berths during our sea phases.

What would your preference be? as two companies have different pros and cons.

Comment

GD, P&O Australia are crewed by Carnival UK for qualified officers too - spoke with an ex-Carnival 2/O last week, said he quit because he was always being sent down under!
              sigpic

Comment

Hello,
                Thanks for the information, it helps.

My preference would be either P&O or Cunard,
                I would prefer not to go to austrailia all the time. If many people are quiting due to this, maybe thats where a lot of the cadets are going once qualified. But obviously I am not an expert on this.

I take it life working contracts are not offered at the offering of a job then? haha

I have also applied to Princess Cruises, but Carnival UK seem an extreamly good company to work for as part of the cadetship; its just the company at the end that seems to be lingering in the air. Though I wouldn't look at that for a company anyway. I'm not even in yet, so I 'll take my option when the time comes I think.

Thanks
                Kaz

Comment

Dont put your hopes on just cruise companies though!
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
                    Dont put your hopes on just cruise companies though!
                    I won't,

I have applied to many cargo companies, just heard that Mearsk may not be taking on many cadets though.

An engineering cadetship at sea, is what I asspire. The companies are the second part.

Thanks .

PS: Do companies contact you when they have recieved your aplication via post or email/ internety?

Kaz

Comment

Depends on the company, some keep you well informed throughout the process, some have an automated confirmation e-mail, and some just call you out of nowhere to invite you to interviews

Comment

Originally posted by tempest
                        Depends on the company, some keep you well informed throughout the process, some have an automated confirmation e-mail, and some just call you out of nowhere to invite you to interviews
                        I've been told new year when they will get in touch. I understand measrsk talk about JAN/FEB.
                        Carnival, Princess, BP, SSTG and the rest I have no idea.
                        Do they tell you, if they dont want you; or is it a wait and guess game?

Thanks again, whoever answers my many questions. Maybe I should join this forum.

Comment

P&O Australia are chaning officer crewing to Viking Recruitment so qualified officers will be p&o or cunard!

Comment

Beer-Engineer can I ask where you found out this information about P&O Australia because I am a Carnival UK cadet and just last week I was at the carnival offices and when I asked about working down under this was not mentioned at all or even hinted too ?

Comment

if P&O Australia are changing officer crewing to Viking who are connected to Chiltern Maritime, perhaps Trinity House cadets can get a placement with them (as Chiltern do all the admin for Trinity)

i like the sound of an Australian base - where does the alledged bad reputation come from (mentioned in another post)?
                              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X