Cowboy seeking new horse

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy seeking new horse

Right Chaps....

To keep it brief , any suggestions of some Cowboy outfits out there? I cant handle filling in forms anymore , people writing safe cards in which basically say "Today I did my job" ...well done! I want to do a good safe job without having a checklist to take a dump.

Presume you are in oil and gas? You could always go to smaller deep sea companies on dry cargo. But then will always be some ISM/SMS checklists. The downside is that you will probably be earning less.

Comment

Or super yachts are an alternative, as long as you don’t mind doing cleaning, painting and varnishing.

Comment

and being at the whim of the owner. Some superyachts have been arrested recently as part of billionaire divorce proceedings!!

Comment

The workboat industry (particularly smaller operators) seems to be pretty devoid of checklists etc.... Maybe try there?
          Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
            and being at the whim of the owner. Some superyachts have been arrested recently as part of billionaire divorce proceedings!!
            Ah on the bigger ones the whim of the owner is probably more stable than a tramping cargo ship. Most privately owned superyachts probably get used less than a month per year. As for the ‘arrest’ it’s a paperwork exercise, not unusual for large yachts to be ‘arrested’ for non payment of bills as the super rich seem to be tardy with paying invoices at times. Gone are the days of a sheriff nailing a notice to the mast. Simply a port clearance certificate won’t be issued and the ship stays put until legal affairs are resolved. But I digress...

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
              The workboat industry (particularly smaller operators) seems to be pretty devoid of checklists etc.... Maybe try there?
              Those wind farm workboats look like good work, I piloted a larger one in the UK and it was a beautiful boat/ship.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungMariner View Post
                Those wind farm workboats look like good work, I piloted a larger one in the UK and it was a beautiful boat/ship.
                Haven't been on one sadly! Did some time on a Survey/Guard/Chase/Jack-of-all-trades boat though, which was good fun.
                Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

I have similar thoughts on a regular basis.

If it wasn't for the job security, annualised salary in GBP and pension (which probably isn't very good anyway) I'd have left already tbh.

Having to get up in the middle of your rest period to go and do some training on improving the guest experience or some other HR related nonsense and the ever increasing checklist after checklist is getting a bit much tbh.

I realise you get this sort of nonsense in a lot of places and I wouldn't mind some of the stuff so much if it actually had some relevance to my job.

Comment

I had a look at the Super yachts ,from what I can see that's as good as the blind leading the blind. There seems to be a big no no to commercial guys on anything under the 70m. The RYA crowd are running the circus on those and it shows too!

Comment

Originally posted by 1234 View Post
                      I had a look at the Super yachts ,from what I can see that's as good as the blind leading the blind. There seems to be a big no no to commercial guys on anything under the 70m. The RYA crowd are running the circus on those and it shows too!
                      Ah the sub 500gt to 3000gt tend to be MCA 3000gt(Y) licenses which are perfectly adequate for what is being performed. You don’t like the legal paperwork that is required as evidence to operate properly at a corporate level yet seem dismissive of the areas of the of industry that don’t operate at that level.

Comment

I heard James Fisher coastal tankers were a bit more laid back on the nonsense paperwork.
                        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Have you looked into Harbour Towage? Whilst not sure if you are on the Deck or down below however their are positions all over the place in the harbour towage field in the U.K. Tugs are a great place to work and the paperwork side of things is designed for small crews that don't have time for BS. From what I've seen its a very practical, relevant setup. The job is fun and the crews are sound. I'd never go back to big ships now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X