Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Should I insist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I insist?

Basically, I am a Clyde marine cadet on tankers, now, I never ask Clyde for a thing, my grades are great my attendance is superb but they seem pretty crappy at times.
    I am on tankers, which I enjoy but the college has a GASCO and TASCO course coming up. From what I was told (there was a mix up In college with regards to who was supposed to be enrolled) so the word was those with BP etc would be enrolled as too would those with an agency such as myself as we were on tankers.

So, upon finding my name missing from the list for the previous course I enquiried with my training manager only to find that I wouldn’t be undergoing the course as it wasn’t minimum requirement. Now I appreciate that this may come across rather bratty but quite frankly this could be my future, surely with the huge drop in pay while at sea they’ve saved sufficient coffers to fund the odd TASCO/GASCO course? I have a friend on the course with V-Ships through MEF all he did was contacted MEF and got on it instantly, he hasn’t sailed on/plans to sail on a tanker.

Now for the questions,
    1. Will not having this certificate effect me with regards to finding work? I would like to stay on tankers.
    2. Are there any other ways to find funding for said course?
    3. Am I being dramatic?

Just want to thank you all for your help and advice, I think my plan will be to build myself with some statistics, and reasons why I should be allowed to do the course and see if that changes their mind.
    As for paying the course myself although that could be possible it’s very improbable, cadet salaries let alone Clyde salaries make doing such rather difficult but o will politely asking again with a bit more information to support my case. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Wetcadet; 10th February 2018, 02:32 PM. Reason: Thanks really

Not a tanker wanker, but this is exactly what I've been banging on about. From my mates in tankers this is an absolute prerequisite, and you would be sent on it straight after college if you worked for Shell/BP etc. Having this may dramatically improve your chances of employment post cadetship. We've found the same thing as SSTG cadets who haven't done things like crisis management and designated security duties.

If you don't ask you don't get.

There's always different ways of asking of course. Be polite and amiable at all times, but make sure you leave your training manager with no doubt that you are in control of your training as far as possible. After all, it is your future, so grip it. Maybe ring the course provider to see if there are spaces, and what the cost is before you talk to your manager, if they wont budge suggest you pay a chunk. Worst case offer to take it off your wages.
    Superyacht OOW
    SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
    Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply! So just so I don’t come across as an absolute spoilt brat I am within my rights to politely insist? I’ve had no issues with Clyde what so ever until now, quite honestly if they’re happy to take me on they should allow me to train to an acceptable level for the vessels they’ve put me on. I feel pretty alone at the minute, it’s rather daunting knowing the jobs market isn’t great and on top of that they’re happy to realise me into it ill equipped

Comment

You are absolutely within your rights to ask.

The worst that will happen is they say no - If they do, there's nothing stopping you from "paying your own way".

It is your cadetship, your training, and more importantly, your future.
        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Well you can't 'insist' on anything that is outside your contract. You're learning lesson one of the shipping industry, everyone is only in it to make money.
          But put your argument to your training manager and ask nicely, be persuasive and show you're keen to do well in a future career in tankers.

Eventually it will start to reflect badly on the companies who, as you say, release us into the over saturated jobs market, ill equipped to find work. Only then might it get through to them that creating a better product is going to be better for business.
          Superyacht OOW
          SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
          Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Clyde are going to make thousands off of you, insisting your trained right is more than reasonable.

Plus any little thing thats on your CV once your qualified should help you get a job.
            2/O Tankers

Watch out for big green boxes...

Comment

I had a similar situation. I did my cadetship on container ships through SSTG. Mid first sea phase I discovered the two cadets I was sailing with (who were at a different college) had been put through tanker fam as the college they were at put every single cadet though it. My college only put tanker cadets on it. I e-mailed SSTG to ask if I could do it to help with future job prospects and they (politely) told me where to go. Tough luck basically. Never did get it.

Incidentally since qualifying and sailing with a number of people who have worked on tankers, and a couple of friends who still do, I have realised I have absolutely no desire to work in that side of the industry, so I am no longer bothered. Having said that when I was mid cadetship with a company that don't employ British officers and concerned about future job prospects it did annoy me!

Comment

Who is your sponsoring company? If they are one of the ones who take on their cadets once qualified then I'd say it would be beneficial for them for you to do the course now.

Do you have a contact you can get in touch with there instead of your CMT training officer?

Comment

Maybe I'm confused on this but...

Tanker Fam (Basic) is required + sea time on tanker to get your DCE?

Advanced Tanker (Gasco etc) is required only if you are the officer in charge of cargo operations?

I have sailed with 3rd Officers who only have Basic, that said, my company run the courses themselves and I believe Brits get pushed through it straight after college.

But they may be right in saying it isn't mandatory... Kind of like asking them to put you on the SSO course or something?

Comment

Originally posted by 06njack View Post

Tanker Fam (Basic) is required + sea time on tanker to get your DCE?

Advanced Tanker (Gasco etc) is required only if you are the officer in charge of cargo operations?
                    Basic DCE requires either a course of study or seatime, both need tanker FF. Basic is vailid for responsibilities relating to cargo carrying.
                    Though the MCA says "It is unlikely that a Deck Officer serving on a tanker will not have duties requiring the completion of the advanced tanker training. If
                    you do not obtain an Advanced Tanker Endorsement Port or Flag State Control Officers may challenge this."

Advanced needs Basic + seatime + course. This is needed if you are in charge of cargo operations.

More info can be found in MSN 1866.
                    2/O Tankers

Watch out for big green boxes...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X