Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Questions

Hi everyone, I have an interview with Clyde Marine coming up, just wondered what sort of questions do you think they'll ask about engines? how much do they expect you to know before starting college?

Cheers.

Re: Interview Questions

watch the cd they give you and do some extra research. about engines. name 10 things you would find in an engine room etc. good luck
    Maybe I will never be
    All the things that I want to be
    But now is not the time to cry
    Now's the time to find out why

Comment

They will ask you to name a dozen of their sponsoring companies. What duties you would expect to undertake. Which officer does what watch and what times are the watches. If you follow the CD-ROM you will be more than prepared. I was waiting to give essay type answers to the questions but was quite suprised that the interview consisted of questions based on what you can remember from the CD-ROM. Not multiple choice or anything like that but the CD-ROM prepares you to answer questions like: What are you weaknesses? How would you cope with working with multi-national crews and being away from home for long periods? Neither of these questions were asked in the interview but look @ both engine & deck sections of CD-ROM as i applied for a deck position but was asked question related to systems in the engine room and types of engines ships use so as long as you look @ CD-ROM you will be fine.

P.s on clyde's facebook page it mentions that CD-ROM's are being phased out and all information is available on their website but if you want a CD-ROM because its all organised into sections i've still got my copy which you can have if you want.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. Interesting to hear about the cd as I haven't received one - is it really vital to watch it before the interview? do you know what part of the website has this information now?

Comment

Just heard from some CMT cadets here that the current affairs question in the dealbreaker, so know whats going on in the world or they won't hire you
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Which is a bit ironic seeing that when at sea you're cut off from world affairs most of the time, save from what you can garner from the World Service!

Comment

I think its just a test of whether you can chat about something with a stranger / new crew mate etc breaking the ice.
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Smile alot

Describe yourself in three words?

Three words that describe your work attitude?

Comment

Originally posted by chris
                  I think its just a test of whether you can chat about something with a stranger / new crew mate etc breaking the ice.
                  That used to work along the lines of "fancy a beer?".

Comment

well there has been a lot of beer drinking at STC along those lines in the last 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by chris
                      Just heard from some CMT cadets here that the current affairs question in the dealbreaker, so know whats going on in the world or they won't hire you
                      HAHA that was the only question i didn't get as i don't watch the news, i did stumble a bit, i was like..

'Um BP's having problems plugging the oil spill and err cheryl cole's got malaria '

But the rest of the interview was really good. =]

Best of luck

Comment

They may ask you a basic engineering question like "whats the difference between a petrol and a diesel engine?". That was all I got, plus "what type of ships are there? What Ranks of Officers are there?" etc.

The current affairs question isnt all that important. When I went for my interview the MSC Napoli was happily throwing its containers overboard and falling apart, but having just come back from the Middle East and then straight to the Interview didnt have a clue about it. I still got in though!
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
                          They may ask you a basic engineering question like "whats the difference between a petrol and a diesel engine?". That was all I got, plus "what type of ships are there? What Ranks of Officers are there?" etc.

The current affairs question isnt all that important. When I went for my interview the MSC Napoli was happily throwing its containers overboard and falling apart, but having just come back from the Middle East and then straight to the Interview didnt have a clue about it. I still got in though!
                          HI,

Thanks for your information.Interview is important. It help me to think about my ideals for interview questions.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

Comment

Does anyone have any advice on the questions that we should ask them at the interview. I've been thinking about this for a long time and have no idea what I should ask when they ask "so...any questions?"
                            "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            x
                            Working...
                            X