Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

What is the situation with jobs

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the situation with jobs

Hi

So, I'm a soon to be qualified EOOW and I'm currently in the process of figuring out my future. I'm currently sponsored by a large ship Manning agency for an offshore comoany now I'm certain I won't be offered a job as I've been told that the company I am doing my sea time with no longer takes on their engineering cadets as junior engineers, (deck side they take some of them on as trainee DPO) do I have a suspicion I'm going to be job hunting.

Now my problem is I can't find anywhere a valid argument in favour of this l, a lot of sources say that I would basically have no chance going to sea as a junior engineer (it strikes me that the only people who are very pro seagoing jobs being out there on here are the old timers and the people who are already chief engoneers)

I guess my question is what are the chances of actually being able to secure a job? How should I go about securing a job? Ideally I would like to work offshore but given the current circumstances I can't see that happening.

Thanks
    Concerned soon-to-be EOOW

Yet another anonymous pop at 'old timers' What a shocker! Beginning to feel like someone has an agenda...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    io parlo morse

Comment

someone needs a hug!

Comment

What's a trainee DPO?

Comment

Endure, it's a fairly common saying in my defense.
          And instead of getting all defensive perhaps just, I dunno give suggestions for those of us qualifying soon.
          It's one thing to say there's jobs out there but from what I understand and can see, especially for those of us who will have no experience other than the cadetship, it's another thing to actually find a job.

I came into this process knowing I wasn't gauranteed a job but it strikes me that there is little to no hope in the current market and the old timers are the ones saying there's are jobs but get all defensive when someone says otherwise!!
          So you may see an agenda on this side of the argument but I too can see one on the flip side.

A trainee DPo is a trainee Dynamic Positioning Officer normally found on offshore vessel.

Comment

Well bp take on junior engineers though i dont know the situation regarding endorsements.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

@matt247 dynamic positioning officer. A deck officer who monitors the positioning computer.
              Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Opinions seem to be complete mixed on here, but for the most part it will be case of applying to every company and agency you can find.
                Even when I qualified in 2006, jobs were not plentiful for newly qualified OOW's. But strangely, once you have 6-12 months seatime under your belt as OOW, the workplace seems to open up. Kind of a catch 22.

Yes, you will find plenty of retired or experienced people on here with a slightly different opinion, but they generally are well intentioned.

That being said, when I went to see 14 years ago, I thought I'd be at sea for life, but last year I swallowed the anchor and moved ashore after my second redundancy and the incompatibility of sea and family life (unless you work for a company that values you... Do they even exist?).

Comment

what do you do now Youngmariner?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    what do you do now Youngmariner?
                    I valet park other peoples ships now, aka Marine Pilot.

Comment

Couple of pieces of advice for you below:

1. the Careers at sea people are really very helpful and give some great advise on their website for the job search. in particaular I found their advise on keeping a job log really good as it gave me purpose and fell like i was getting somewhere. also you can email them your cv and cover letter and they will help you phrase them properly.

2. i wouldn't put to much pressure on the whole thing. I just kept thinking the whole time how much better of I was than everyone else who went to uni. All freshly qualified people struggle to find work at first due to that you need experience to get experience thing ... but at least your not in like 60 grand of dept

3. Try yachts. my first two jobs where yachts , great experience and it gave me that "6-month expeince" . plus a lot of people love them lots of my friends have moved over to yachting. they weren't really my kind of thing but meant i could get a job on cruise ships soo

4. PHONE people. i absolutely hate calling recruiters but it really is the only thing that works.

5. focus on good cover letters. the most honest and frank cover letters i wrote where the ones i got the most replies from.

I think things are bad out there at the moment but they are everywhere (like my mates who are grads cant even get jobs in local shops!). In my option engineers are in a better position that most people out there. so just think positively all the people in my class have got jobs

i wanted to go offshore too but now i have a good job with on a cruise ship which i like so yeah

just focus on getting your orals done jobs will come later

hope that helps (sorry for bad spelling)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X