Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any experience with carnival. especially cunard

Hi all. I am currently working with a cruise company. And got offered a job with cunard.

The main reason im asking is about the day to day experience on these ships. I am working with a company who are over the top with silly things like shaving twice a day, constant hr training things like that. But the moneys really good for cruises so i dont want to leave if its just going to be the same thing on a different ship.

Just really want to know what the lifestyle is like, how they are to work for, promotion oppertunity things like that. I also heard that carnival were all going to 4 on 12 off watches but im not sure if this was just bull**** or not.

If you're getting offered a job, it might be worth just taking it to get some sea time.

Comment

Sorry. Maybe i wasnt puttin myself across right. I am already workin for a cruise company and was thinkin about changin companies. The one im working with is mostly red tape and alot of hr stuff. So i was wondering what carnival and cunard was like. Are they all the same or is it worth takinf a bit of a paycut for an easier life?

Comment

Matt247. Sorry m8 cant reply to ur message it says ur inbox is full and i would prefer not to say really

Comment

I can assure you most Cruise companies are all HR and red tape, it won't be much difference.

As for 4 on 12 off , it's mostly 6 on 12 off in the ER or 4 on 8 off.

Carnival UK has just all gone 12 weeks on 12 weeks off however which is good.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
            I can assure you most Cruise companies are all HR and red tape, it won't be much difference.

As for 4 on 12 off , it's mostly 6 on 12 off in the ER or 4 on 8 off.
            Off topic. How does 6 on 12 off work (and 4/12 for that matter) as it doesn't make up a 24 hour period unlike 4/8 or 6/6
            io parlo morse

Comment

It works exactly the same but over a 3 day period.

Our guys do -
              0600-1200
              1200-1800
              1800-2400
              0000-0600

The guy who finished at lunch time 1200, starts again at 0000. 6on/12 off.

Comment

Thanks bob was kinda thinkin it would probably be pretty much the same. Just kinda hoping i sapose.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post
                  It works exactly the same but over a 3 day period.

Our guys do -
                  0600-1200
                  1200-1800
                  1800-2400
                  0000-0600

The guy who finished at lunch time 1200, starts again at 0000. 6on/12 off.
                  Is this for deck too or engine only?

Comment

Originally posted by SeaGazer View Post
                    Is this for deck too or engine only?

You wish!

I often dream of scenarios where I'd perhaps do 8 on, 16 off, but it will never change from 4 on 8 off- and if it does, sign me up!

Comment

I've never been on a ship where deck have been allowed 6/12 no.

Comment

Originally posted by DMB View Post
                        You wish!

I often dream of scenarios where I'd perhaps do 8 on, 16 off, but it will never change from 4 on 8 off- and if it does, sign me up!
                        Believe me ive done 8 on 16 off as well as 12 on 12 off and any more than 6 hours and you lose concentration completely. Plus if you end up doing 12 to 8 then you find yourself either not sleeping or doing safety equipment maintenance at 6 in the evening or some other stupid time

Comment

Basically choose deck and you're f0cked... gotcha. One can always be hopefull tho.

Comment

Why are you 'focked'? I'm more than happy with 4/8 personally.

Comment

It's good. Then overtime, briefings, drills, tool box training, debriefings, stations etc get thrown into the mix for 4 months on a busy itinerary and it quickly becomes quite hellish

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X