•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randomist
    replied
    Originally posted by clanky View Post
    in red, come on, that's just taking the piss!
    i don't know what you mea​n

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    OC's Resident CV Guru

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Originally posted by Clanky View Post
    Don't knock it, 'til you've tried it!
    Eeewwwww... so that is why there are always tubs of grease and Swarfega all over the engine room?

Originally posted by Clanky View Post
    In red, come on, that's just taking the piss! :P
    He can be so cruel at times - and as subtle as an air raid. *sighs*

Leave a comment:

• Clanky
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
    The only other alternative was to reduce the number of pixels and leave you with full colour, but they found a number of engineers humping all sorts of inanimate objects
    Don't knock it, 'til you've tried it!

Originally posted by Randomist View Post
    Merged with existing thread
    In red, come on, that's just taking the piss! :P

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied
    Yeah it's not a issue when on the job and in with a company the issue comes up with companies saying no restrictions what so ever on medicals as I came across a few who simply said no as I had a restriction apart from that it's all good

Leave a comment:

• Randomist
    replied
    Merged with existing thread

Leave a comment:

• Hatchorder
    OC's Resident CV Guru

• Hatchorder
    replied
    Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
    You're an engine cadet, not a navigator. Colour is not as important for you as it is for them...
    Yeah... Engineers are built like that. Their brains cannot cope with processing in 24 bit full colour so they make your eyes only 2 bit, which is greyscale. That way your brains can cope with the smaller amount of information to process. The only other alternative was to reduce the number of pixels and leave you with full colour, but they found a number of engineers humping all sorts of inanimate objects having mistaken them for women so they dropped that project.

*sits back and waits for Guinnessman to rant* HeHeHe.....

Leave a comment:

• GuinnessMan
    OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man

• GuinnessMan
    replied
    Originally posted by stronglead View Post
    Yeah erm, I failed every colour test they could throw at me and im currently on a tanker sitting off the coast of south africa so just keep going at it, word in the wind is they will be dropping the colour cable restriction some time as cables are being number/letter coded now instead of colours
    You're an engine cadet, not a navigator. Colour is not as important for you as it is for them...

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied
    Yeah erm, I failed every colour test they could throw at me and im currently on a tanker sitting off the coast of south africa so just keep going at it, word in the wind is they will be dropping the colour cable restriction some time as cables are being number/letter coded now instead of colours

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    This seems to come up a lot. Can one of the mods pin this or one of the similar colour blindness to the top of the page.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    You will do the book with the dots and fail that. You will then be given a restricted Eng.3. It stops you working with wires.

If your doctor doesn't have then City University test, a far more accurate test, you go to a good opticians (Not Specsavers) and you do it there, you get the results printed and a writted letter from the optician saying if you passed or failed.

You then go to the doctors with this letter and he will lift the restriction and give you an unrestricted ENG.1.

I've done this twice, first time the doctor had the city university test with him. The second time i had to go to the opticians, but he's kept it on file for 5 years so I wont need to go to the opticians for the next 2.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Thanks very much. It is reassuring to hear there are companies that take on cadets that have colour deficiency. All the best, mate.

Leave a comment:

• Bash
    replied
    Sstg.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Originally posted by Bash View Post
    Just wondering of anyone knows what the fail criteria for the City University test actually are?

I scored 5 from 6 on the first test and 9 from 10 on the second which is described as "adequate for everyday purposes" but is this a pass or a fail?

This is my second ENG1; on my first one I just got the no lookout duties which is fine as I am an engineer. On the one I have just had (at a different place) the doctor has given me a "cannot work with coloured cables" which might be a problem!
    Thanks for the response!

What training organisation are you with, may I ask? Clyde Marine, SSTG??

Leave a comment:

• Bash
    replied
    Just wondering of anyone knows what the fail criteria for the City University test actually are?

I scored 5 from 6 on the first test and 9 from 10 on the second which is described as "adequate for everyday purposes" but is this a pass or a fail?

This is my second ENG1; on my first one I just got the no lookout duties which is fine as I am an engineer. On the one I have just had (at a different place) the doctor has given me a "cannot work with coloured cables" which might be a problem!

Leave a comment:

• YoungMariner
    replied
    It may be worth taking an 'ENG1' Medical at your own expense, then at least when you approach the companies you are in a position to say that you hold one and can define whatever restriction may be applied. The cost is circa 80 GBP

http://www.dft.gov.uk/mca/mcga07-hom...-docs-list.htm

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X