X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clanky
    replied
    As HoluNougat says, the Ishihara test is the standard for ENG1, it's the test with the book and where you have to pick out the numbers from a bunch of dots. Your optometrist should be able to carry out this test and let you know where you are on the scale. I think there may be information in an M Notice somewhere about the required standards, will have a poke about on Google and see if I can come up with anything for you.

Leave a comment:

• HolyNougat
    replied
    The ENG 1 contains the Ishihara test for colour blindness. http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp
    If you fail the colourblindess side you will be given a 'restricted ENG' which will preclude you from watchkeeping on the bridge, but should not automatically preclude you from the engineering side, however, you may also end up with a restriction for 'working with coloured cabling' which could be a problem.... if you fail the Ishihara there are a few other test availible so start researching them if I were you!
    All companies will comply with the same rules for this - it is most unlikely that one company would accept someone with a retricted ENG 1 and another would not.

Leave a comment:

• Unregistered
    Guest replied
    Colourblindness

Alright, folks.

Does anybody know if there are any companies out there that have restrictions on future candidates who may suffer from colour deficiency? I am aware that 'Deck' is strict, however I have also heard that it is not so strict in the 'Engineering' cadetship.

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied
    Re: Eye sight - Colour Blindness

sorry haha i was a little short on time so sent a quick reply and my typing went out the window

Leave a comment:

• minchmermaid
    replied

Maybe before you sort out your application, you should practise writing in English. I catch myself typing in txt spk now and then!

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

yh ano going to work on ma application putting in ma details and info

and with the smurf bit i already sorta am being a sea cadet acting po haha

Leave a comment:

• MEJG
    replied

Sounds good then matey... might see you looking like poppa smurf soon

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

orite yh gd to hear

i phoned maersk the women said she shouldn't see it as much of a problem i guess its because how big the ships are.

My main concern was the bit saying you failed the colour vision but she didn't even say anything about that. As i say i am going for more undepth tests she said it wouldn't hurt my chances and would answer questions for them.

Leave a comment:

• MEJG
    replied

there are a few more... 3 of us this year doing the FdEng in WMA...

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

yh ano i was just wondering if there was any others would of been nice to know theres more

Leave a comment:

• Chiefy
    replied

MEJG states he is colour blind just 2 posts up from your question, and you ermmm replied............should have gone to specsavers?!

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

hey

was just wondering if there was any other colourlind engineers??

would be nice to talk to some so i can find out how best to go about this

cheers

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

thanks guys as i say you have givin me alot of hope now i really want this been in boats for years and i thought with this it would stop me thanks again

Leave a comment:

• MEJG
    replied

I'm the engineer who is colour blind

Wasn't a problem when i told Maersk... got the look out restriction on the ENG1 and ENG3 and the "MUST DO NO WORK THAT REQUIRES SAFETY CRITICAL COLOUR DISCRIMINATION" stuff but they've been fantastic with me

Leave a comment:

• stronglead
    replied

orite thanks very much for that i will keep that in mind and get onto the sites for companys again thank you and you may find me asking more questions ha now i gotta run as im at work be back on later

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif
x
x
Working...
X