X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN 1856 (Sea time for Tickets)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...782_en_001.pdf

3.3 Certification for Chief Mate unlimited, STCW Convention regulation II/2
    To qualify for the issue of this Certificate of Competency you must meet the following
    requirements:
    (a) Hold a valid OOW unlimited, II/1, Certificate of Competency;
    (b) Have completed 12 months? watchkeeping service while holding an OOW unlimited,
    II/1, Certificate of Competency;
    (c) Hold the applicable ancillary and safety course certificates as listed in section 10;
    (d) Successfully complete an approved education and training programme meeting the
    standards of competency specified in section A-II/2 of the STCW Code as listed in
    section 11;
    (e) Pass SQA Chief Mate/Master?s written examinations at an approved SQA centre in the
    following subjects:
    ? Navigation;
    ? Stability and structure;

(f) Hold a valid ENG1 (medical fitness certificate) or accepted equivalent;
    (g) Pass MCA oral examination `B? (for the syllabus see MGN 69 or any subsequent
    publication).

Candidates who enrolled on an MNTB-approved Honours Degree, Foundation Degree or
    Scottish Professional Diploma prior to 01 September 2015 will be exempt from the external
    SQA written examinations up until 1 September 20223
    . You must obtain a letter from your
    nautical college confirming your enrolment date and submit this with your Chief Mate

- Seems to super seed MGN92
    - Published 2015 May?

Anybody heard about this.

Wierd. Thought they were trying to make it harder to pass your chief mates, re-introducing writtens etc....

Comment

Yep, should be coming into force 9th June.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
        Wierd. Thought they were trying to make it harder to pass your chief mates, re-introducing writtens etc....
        At end of day they were unlikely to pull the exemption for those already in the system without plenty of warning... Think of the legal issues if anyone challenged it - Person A & B both started course at same time, both were advised that they were not required to complete SQAs - person A gets sea time faster is exempt ... Person B takes a little longer and is not exempted...

At least now anyone starting the course from this year knows they arnt exempted & those within the system have adequate time to get through.
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Fair point although I don't think anyone expected a seatime reduction...

Comment

The UK system is only going to get easier and devalue the ticket, but the UK flag and the UK tickets are simply a commodity and both go to the cheapest bidder. Anyone who thinks that the UK flag or ticket equals a greater standard than any other EU flag is deluded.
            Anyway, incompetent people have gotten through the ranks with the old system, so I don't see that any loosening of the requirements will make a difference.

Comment

Good information.

Maybe I'm overlooking it or it's in another MGN but is there an actual stated requirement you have to do the orals preparation course or could you just study yourself, do the short courses and apply for the NOE?

Comment

Technically you could yeah, but you would need to have completed the foundation degree route to have the underpinning knowledge.

Comment

Not only that the watch keeping requirements have gone from eight to four hours a day

Comment

This MSN is not officially published yet and may be subject to change.. It was only released as SI, which was not suppose to be final until officially released on MCA website under MSN's notices.

Comment

I was wondering why it wasn't on mca website was starting to think it could be a hoax.

On the plus side they seem to have ditched the need to redo the signals exam for mate.

Comment

I think it has came out, just they haven't updated their website since April..

Comment

I know that MGN69 was about 3 years out of date with the 12 month portfolio route for Chiefs. So judging by that timescale they might update it about the time a lot of us are going for masters!

Comment

"Candidates who enrolled on an MNTB-approved Honours Degree, Foundation Degree orScottish Professional Diploma prior to 01 September 2015 will be exempt from the external
                            SQA written examinations up until 1 September 2022" .

Is HND a Scottish Professional Diploma ? Does this mean candidates in possession of HND Certificate do not have to sit for SQA Exam ? Just the orals and ancillary courses and you apply for CoC ?

Comment

Don't quote me but I think the SPD is equivalent to the FdSc so HND does not give you the SQA exemption

Comment

Working...
                              X