How Britain sank it's shipping industry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Britain sank it's shipping industry

Interesting read. I don't agree with much of what she's saying but it's nice to see a mention from time to time in mainstream media.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...pping-industry

What don't you agree with. Mrs Thatcher wanted rid of most "heavy" industry. We were supposed to turn into a service economy.if I remember fron my youth...ps how come the Germans, French and the Italians still have a ship building industry that appears to building large number of cruise ships?

Comment

So, was the article about shipping or a chance for Polly Toynbee to have a dig at Brexit?
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Bit of both...?????

Comment

We're an island nation that's forgot it's an island.....

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
            So, was the article about shipping or a chance for Polly Toynbee to have a dig at Brexit?
            Usual Toynbee stuff. The Editor sends her a word or phrase and she writes bollocks about it. This week's phrase was 'merchant navy'
            io parlo morse

Comment

Elsewhere in the world; https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ect-local-jobs

The salaries and conditions for seafarers in the UK have been driven into the ground, however it is now the only way to compete.

Comment

Interesting article about Australian moves..similar to.the Jones Act?

Comment

Toynbee's just a hack, and the Guardian's full of nonsense these days. She even mentions climate change. The article comes across as a few facts cobbled hastily together into an article. She could have looked at the oil price as being a major recent factor, or the loss of empire, more trade within the EU/EEC instead of with the Commonwealth, the rise of China, etc, but doesn't. And she seems to argues for state intervention whilst having a pro-EU stance.

She mentions the "steep drop in training British mariners". Numbers? Compared with when? Compared with last year she's probably right.

Comment

Well that's a rather poor article, few facts and poorly strung together at that.
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

It's almost impressive how the writer managed to work in a totally irrelevant pop at brexit while paradoxically claiming the Jones act is wonderful (when was the last time anyone saw a US flagged vessel deep sea?) and calling for more protectionist government intervention.

the tone of the article seems to dismiss third-world crews and ECoCs as "the ugly face of capitalism" while completely ignoring the fact that in recent years such nations have upped their game in terms of seafarer training, making the question of employing them one of value rather than just cost, and some of their sailors really are capable of meeting the standard implied by an ECoC.

all the same it is a little reassuring to note that the issues faced by UK seafarers have not been forgotten about completely by the rest of the country.

Comment

Last US flagged vessel deep sea..........the 15-20 light blue canoes owned by the big blue canoe company, Maersk Iowa, Montana et al

It works after a fashion but needs huge state aid and a political will to keep it going, one of which was illegal until recently the other hasn't been seen from ANY political party for many many years, bot otherwise the Jones act is an abismal failure................not
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/us...-us-fleet.html
                          io parlo morse

Comment

Yup, but if you kjow what you are doing you can get in on grandfather rights, the main issue as highlighted is the sheer cost of labour to both build and man then, hence the huge susidies paid to vessels flying the us flag.

Having worked for them shoreside , trust me when I say they wold not be viable with out it. That and the overly strong unions who won't play nice with each other.

The act works but only for a given value of works, it's days are numbered, it's a matter of when and how not if
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Maritimer View Post
                              She could have looked at the oil price as being a major recent factor, or the loss of empire, more trade within the EU/EEC instead of with the Commonwealth, the rise of China, etc, but doesn't.
                              The collapse of the soviet union is probably the most major factor that has led to the reduction in seafarers from north west european countries deep sea. Before the berlin wall came down the communist governments of Warpac countries wouldn't allow their citizens to work on the vessels of the evil capitalist countries, then when these restrictions ended first world ship owners/operators could suddenly get relatively well educated Europeans who would be willing to work for a fraction of what it previously cost them. It makes me laugh when people blame the tories for the reduction in seafarers, suppose they are also responsible for the reduction in numbers from every other developed country as well.

This article doesn't mention is that the Indians on that PSV are working on it illegally. Companies illegally use seafarer transit visas for vessels that are working the UK spot market. Transit visas are meant for seafarers crew changing on deep sea vessels in UK ports or offshore vessels that are on long term charter who spend most of the time more than 12nm from the coast.

There is no difference between the legal working requirements for the crew on the Malavia Twenty and for people working ashore, they are working illegally as they have the incorrect work visas, and the employers are also breaking law by paying less than the minimum wage. The UK border force is aware of this abuse of the visa system, but seem to be doing nothing to stop it.

Comment

Working...
                              X