MCA considering closing several marine offices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCA considering closing several marine offices

This seems to have slipped under the radar slightly, only became aware of it today. Basically they want to close the Tyne, Plymouth, Norwich, Beverly, Plymouth and Orpington offices amongst other things. Given the current waiting lists for oral exams I can't see this helping on that front! Although they do say they are looking into carrying out orals at alternative sites so maybe they'll just hire a room somewhere for them. Or they could actually just come in and do them at the colleges, that would probably make the most sense.

I also note within the documentation they are talking about modernising the certification issuing system and things such as online booking for orals etc. Finally dragging themselves into the 21st century? I'll probably have my masters by the time all this is implemented anyway though given the amount of time these things usually take. In any case its long overdue, the current system is ridiculous.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...and-inspection

What a surprise the government closing things and selling off real estate. ..just look at the MOD

Comment

Well it is a consultation document so anyone can put forward their views. Quite often people don't bother doing that, so if people have an idea or a better way they can say so, golden opportunity I would think.

Comment

Also seeing mentioned in several publications, notably OSP (Offshore Safety Professionals, Sept 2015 Issue 1: Pg22) that changes to some STCW courses are expected as of Jan 2017. Moreso pertains to those that have done the courses yonks and yonks ago (6 months+ sea service from 1 Aug 1998). But I would assume the criteria and way the courses are taught or assessed may be changed- likes of skills and knowledge required to be shown and demonstrated etc. Then again, does mention refreshers every 5 years. From what I'm reading, changes likely to occur in:
        • Advanced Fire Fighting.
        • Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting.
        • Personal Survival Techniques.
        • Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats.
        • Proficiency in Fast-Rescue Boats.

Overall, I'd say changes are ahead! Minor, at the least. Nothing major. But I can see the worry about the closing of offices- the suggestion of being assessed at the college does make more sense, and is more convenient.

Again, I'm taking it with a pinch of salt what I'm reading, and I would suggest you too. Training criteria likely just to be the same, just the assessment and actually 'validity period' of what I've listed is likely to shift a little bit.
        "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController
        First of all, I'm not Scottish! I'm Drunk!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Nicoll View Post
          Also seeing mentioned in several publications, notably OSP (Offshore Safety Professionals, Sept 2015 Issue 1: Pg22) that changes to some STCW courses are expected as of Jan 2017. Moreso pertains to those that have done the courses yonks and yonks ago (6 months+ sea service from 1 Aug 1998). But I would assume the criteria and way the courses are taught or assessed may be changed- likes of skills and knowledge required to be shown and demonstrated etc. Then again, does mention refreshers every 5 years. From what I'm reading, changes likely to occur in:
          • Advanced Fire Fighting.
          • Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting.
          • Personal Survival Techniques.
          • Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats.
          • Proficiency in Fast-Rescue Boats.

Overall, I'd say changes are ahead! Minor, at the least. Nothing major. But I can see the worry about the closing of offices- the suggestion of being assessed at the college does make more sense, and is more convenient.

Again, I'm taking it with a pinch of salt what I'm reading, and I would suggest you too. Training criteria likely just to be the same, just the assessment and actually 'validity period' of what I've listed is likely to shift a little bit.
          These are changes being brought around through the "Manilla Amendments" to the STCW code. Most UK STCW short course certificates never expired and were pretty much valid for life, following the amendments all affected short course certificates will have a maximum of 5 years validity, coming into force on the 1st of January 2017.

If your only just finding out about it now - your probably a bit ****ed
          “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Hey'oh Alistair!

With recently being introduced the the wonderful world of STCW courses and training, this was a god-send of a publication I got my hands on. Mother picked up the newsletter at work thinking "Oh, it's to do with oil rigs. My son studies something about them... I'll give it to him". Had a read over, also implemented it into a report I was doing for a class- who even references publications these days!?!?! It's all online!

So, I am aware of the changes. Just not as presently aware like your good self. But hey, the fun and games don't start until Aug/Sept this year!
            "We have encountered an enemy square! The most deadly of all the quadrilaterals!" ~ EfffingController
            First of all, I'm not Scottish! I'm Drunk!

Comment

Working...
            X