The future of the shipping industry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of the shipping industry

Here is an interesting research done by Rolls Royce which is very futuristic. It should become possible in a very distant future and could make the industry very flexible and save money for further development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0A...ature=youtu.be

http://www.rolls-royce.com/media/pre...ol-centre.aspx

I look forward to the future developments, It looks interesting.

Why isn't the presenter of that video speaking with a Derbyshire accent and calling everybody 'me duck'?
    io parlo morse

Comment

There were some funny comments elsewhere on the web regarding their robot ship plans. Along the lines of perhaps they should concentrate on making their steering gears more reliable before building entire ship systems.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

One thing I and my classmates had wondered about this is what would happen if the vessel suffered a mechanical failure in the open ocean, and how such vessels would be moored.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying-tiger View Post
          One thing I and my classmates had wondered about this is what would happen if the vessel suffered a mechanical failure in the open ocean, and how such vessels would be moored.
          I'd be more concerned about somebody nicking your ship
          “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

They managed to make it look so f***ing boring! Sit in a chair and click yes to everything the computer suggests. Also, the idea that when something goes wrong you can just fly a drone and be able to see a big bent antenna causing the problem is laughable. More likely that there's a faulty connection which no drone camera would be able to pick up on.
            I wonder what would happen in a total communications blackout, say if a solar flare damaged the satellites or some other kind of on board failure. Would the ship continue on track control (if GPS was still working) or just drift in the ocean until communications were reestablished?

Comment

Originally posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
              They managed to make it look so f***ing boring! Sit in a chair and click yes to everything the computer suggests.
              You do realise that's what we pretty much do now
              “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
              myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Yeah but we get a better view and the daily commute is up a few flights of stairs

Comment

Oh crap the V-Sat is down, we've lost a $100m ship with all its containers...

Seriously, it's a long way off. Crews are starting to increase again, the sheer quantity of electrical equipment that can't handle being shaken, vibrated, flipped, shocked and shuddered in high humidity one week and freezing cold the next means more electricians. Engines that are far far from being as reliable as a car engine, needing constant care and attention by Engineers and the sheer quantity of variables that make decisions on the bridge ones that can't be left to computers just yet.
                  The technology exists, but the costs involved to create something that could be reliable and operate properly.... probably a lot more then crewing costs.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                    You do realise that's what we pretty much do now
                    Nice to see the computer is still smarter than the deckies....
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                    X