Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Petition for UK crew

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Petition for UK crew

    Worth signing if you care about the future of our industry. It might not be the solution and it will probably never happen but something needs to be down and this kind of thing can only raise awareness.

    https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-patr...edium=copylink

  • #2
    "We are now seeing UK Officers and Crew being made redundant and replaced with Asian Officers and Crew. This is both illegal and immoral. British Seafarers need protection, and this requires a change in Law."

    ​?


    io parlo morse

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by endure View Post
      "We are now seeing UK Officers and Crew being made redundant and replaced with Asian Officers and Crew. This is both illegal and immoral. British Seafarers need protection, and this requires a change in Law."

      ​?


      Noticed this but signed anyway as awareness can only be a good thing.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you were trying to get some response from the Government, would it not have made more sense to have it on the Parliament or No.10 petition site?
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

        All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
          If you were trying to get some response from the Government, would it not have made more sense to have it on the Parliament or No.10 petition site?
          U

          Maybe, but I didn't start it just re posted it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Heres a better one.... Petition: Save the jobs of British Seafarers
            https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/123806

            Comment


            • #7
              Good to see some people sticking up for UK seafarers. All the members of this forum who have been arguing the case for outsourcing should read the comments section in shame.

              Comment


              • #8
                "Many countries such as Australia and Canada insist that shipping companies based within their country employ mainly local crew. "

                When did Australia and Canada sign the Rome Treaty?
                io parlo morse

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by WesternStar View Post
                  Good to see some people sticking up for UK seafarers. All the members of this forum who have been arguing the case for outsourcing should read the comments section in shame.
                  Not really "UK seafarers" more "North Sea Industry".

                  For the rest of us who aren't working in the North Sea the low oil price which is the catalyst behind these changes is ideal and has resulted in an increase in available jobs and general pickup overall - so really I'd love to know why I personally should care about who is manning the ships in the North Sea? Or more importantly (while the uk industry is probably too small to have an overall global effect) why I should risk supporting something that can potentially raise the cost of fuel?

                  Especially since those working there were all so concerned when the majority of the rest of the shipping industry was being screwed over by the high oil prices.
                  “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

                  – Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                    Not really "UK seafarers" more "North Sea Industry".

                    For the rest of us who aren't working in the North Sea the low oil price which is the catalyst behind these changes is ideal and has resulted in an increase in available jobs and general pickup overall - so really I'd love to know why I personally should care about who is manning the ships in the North Sea? Or more importantly (while the uk industry is probably too small to have an overall global effect) why I should risk supporting something that can potentially raise the cost of fuel?

                    Especially since those working there were all so concerned when the majority of the rest of the shipping industry was being screwed over by the high oil prices.
                    Crying because he couldn't get a job in the offshore sector.

                    I do find reading some of these strange economic theories people construct on here interesting. Don't seem to remember the 'general pickup' happening for anyone I know. Doesn't seem to have happened for anyone that signed the petition either. He even admits that the Uk sector is too small to raise the price of fuel but says it could happen anyway to try and justify his non-agreement with the petition?

                    Also not sure what other reaction could be expected on a thread dedicated to the petition?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I wish he would change his mind and "care" about UK seafarers but he has obviously been burned somewhere along the way. He might change his mind when he is replaced by a Filipino.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                        has resulted in an increase in available jobs and general pickup overall
                        Where are all these new jobs available, I certainly haven't heard of anyone getting jobs on dry bulk, containers or ro-ro all of which should have been helped by the "pickup"?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nothing like an insult to further your argument is there?
                          io parlo morse

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                            an increase in available jobs
                            Seriously? What jobs? Ok there are some opportunities out there but I certainly haven't noticed any sort of an increase on where we were say this time last year or the year before that.

                            Whilst I sort of get where you are coming from in that the only noticeable effect on my life the oil price has had is the fact it is now about £20 cheaper to fill my car up, I know a lot of people who've been laid off and have a lot of sympathy with North Sea workers. Could have been me if I had got any one of the jobs I applied for in that sector when I first qualified.

                            Personally I have an interest in who is manning ships in the North Sea as I'd always had one eye on the industry as somewhere to go when I got bored of long trips on cruise ships and wanted more work life balance for family reasons etc (a point which draws ever closer). With things as they are I can't see there being much opportunity there any time soon which basically leaves cruise, ferries and yachts as the only realistic places for British people to work at sea.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The lack of jobs is very little to do with the oil price fall, and a lot to do with over supply of cadets. The shipping industry has been globalised and open to competition for 'British' jobs for decades, and the commensurate job pot is small. Did no one look around at their class of 150+ at college and realise there was a significant issue???

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X