MCA enforcement unit: prosecutions 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCA enforcement unit: prosecutions 2014

The MCA recently released prosecutions from 2014 and 2015, with a few interesting ones. The one I've quoted below is a bit of a strange one, who would have thought that in this day an age, someone with a UK ticket could gain employment with a reputable company. You'd have though HR departments might have noticed something. Makes you wonder what checks, if any, are done by companies to ensure crew don't have fake tickets.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/mca-enforcement-unit-prosecutions-2014

"Guisborough man convicted or using forged seaman certificates

Defendant: Dean James Rye at Middlesborough Magistrates’ Court

Date of Hearing: 2 January 2014

Offence: Using a False Instrument in breach of the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 2006.

Details: Mr Rye was able to secure employment in February 2013 on the Swire Blue Ocean

Crane Ship, Pacific Orca, operating in the North Sea from Denmark, by producing a forged
    AB certificate. However, it was recognized by other crew members that he lacked the
    necessary knowledge and skills expected of a professional seaman, potentially putting
    himself and others at risk.

Enquiries by the Master of the vessel with the MCA confirmed that Rye had not been issued
    with an AB certificate. He was dismissed from the ship after two weeks, as soon as the
    forgery came to light. Rye was subsequently arrested by Cleveland Police and charged with
    using the forged document to secure employment.

Penalty: Mr Rye was fined ?265 for the offence, ordered to pay ?85 in costs and a victim
    surcharge of ?26. This took into account his early guilty plea."

Interesting piece, wasn't aware the MCA published these cases.

UK based employers can request a login to the MCA's database to check the validity of a CoC, but this doesn't extend to Ratings qualifications. I'd assume most companies would obtain references and do the necessary background checks. You can also tell a lot from checking the Discharge Book.

It is always quite surprising that many companies don't even do face-to-face interviews and rely on the agency to check this things on their behalf.

Comment

Ooft! Some hefty fines being thrown around there!

I also thought the one involving the divers was quite interesting, particularly as it can't have just been the two of them involved!
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
        Ooft! Some hefty fines being thrown around there!

I also thought the one involving the divers was quite interesting, particularly as it can't have just been the two of them involved!
        Yeah to lift cannon out the water would take more than a couple of people I'd imagine.

Here's the link to the 2015 ones if anyone is interested, first link is only the 2014 ones:

http://www.gov.uk/government/publica...secutions-2015

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
          Interesting piece, wasn't aware the MCA published these cases.

UK based employers can request a login to the MCA's database to check the validity of a CoC, but this doesn't extend to Ratings qualifications. I'd assume most companies would obtain references and do the necessary background checks. You can also tell a lot from checking the Discharge Book.

It is always quite surprising that many companies don't even do face-to-face interviews and rely on the agency to check this things on their behalf.
          I can understand them not doing face-to-face interviews for certain ranks for cost reasons, but in that case skype would be better than nothing. In Saudi Arabia and Brunei they have gone down the route of giving officers oral exam equivalent of MCA orals before you can get permission to work in their waters, because of previous problems with people with fake tickets/CVs/discharge book entries.

Comment

Working...
          X