Scotland Vote and SMaRT Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland Vote and SMaRT Funding

With Scotland wanting to be independent, what will be the outcome to SMaRT funding to Scottish cadets ?

I ask this question seeing 85% of my cadets are Scottish ?

Just thought i would ask the question.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I asked this question

Can you tell me what will happen to the training of merchant navy cadets, currently sponsoring companies can obtain funding through the smart scheme this is allowed under the eu state aid guidelines to maritime transport. Merchant navy training board website has the information on how the scheme is currently run and administered.
      This is all monitored by the MCA and others.
      If Scotland were to be independent would it set up its own scheme and follow the current funding of merchant navy cadet officers and ratings.
      Would an independent Scotland allow ruk to access its scheme if it had to set up its own?

answer

Thanks for your query, which has been passed to us for comment by our Central Enquiry Unit

Following any vote for independence on 18 September 2014, Scotland would seek to be a Member State of the European Union and would therefore abide by the rules on State aid set out by the European Commission. As such, if Scotland?s government wished to train merchant navy cadets under a similar scheme to that currently used by the UK Merchant Navy, then it could continue to do so under the same European Commission rules as used currently to deliver the smart scheme.

I hope this is helpful

Alan

Alan Coleman
      Scottish Government - State Aid Unit
      5 Atlantic Quay, 150 Broomielaw
      Glasgow G2 8LU
      Tel; 0300 244 1183
      www.stateaidscotland.gov.uk

Depends if Scotland decided to carry on the scheme, and if they can join the EU.

Comment

This is concerning... actually this is terrifying as i would loose 52 cadets !!!!!!

SMaRT funding comes from tonnage tax... Scotland does not have a ensign or a administration like the MCA.

Ok...

Comment

Not all at once, Scotland wouldn't go fully independent for two years, if that's how the vote was to go....

(co-incidentally, I just received my polling card today)

Comment

Originally posted by LeeClarke83 View Post
            This is concerning... actually this is terrifying as i would loose 52 cadets !!!!!!

SMaRT funding comes from tonnage tax... Scotland does not have a ensign or a administration like the MCA.

Ok...
            These would undoubtedly be set up post indy. I'm sure there would then be suitable training provisions made as there currently are in most other European countries. If you do a search this subject has been discussed on here before on a number of occasions. Anyway this time next month it'll all be over one way or the other. And I for one am looking forward to that.

Comment

I thought only part of the funding came from tonnage tax, the rest was government funding.
              Could open a Scottish office...and Or find more RUK cadets....
              Then again they may say no and everything stays the same, unless Scotland wants to devolve more than it does now.
              If it went independent, all the English cadets, could go to college in Scotland and have free tuition, seemed the EU didn't support Scotland charging RUK students.
              Now GM we need you pic in here please lol

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                These would undoubtedly be set up post indy.
                Would they though? Most companies who have offices in Scotland tend to have head office in London? (Not all I know, but quite a few do)

Originally posted by Midge View Post
                I thought only part of the funding came from tonnage tax, the rest was government funding.
                Could open a Scottish office...and Or find more RUK cadets....
                Then again they may say no and everything stays the same, unless Scotland wants to devolve more than it does now.
                If it went independent, all the English cadets, could go to college in Scotland and have free tuition, seemed the EU didn't support Scotland charging RUK students.
                Now GM we need you pic in here please lol
                That's if Scotland even gets into the EU (unlikely, Spain and Italy are likely to veto)....

My pic? What for? I'm camera shy...

Comment

The pigeons and cats GM, your slow this evening, have you been working too hard!

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                    Would they though? Most companies who have offices in Scotland tend to have head office in London? (Not all I know, but quite a few do)

Yes I'm pretty sure that as a sovereign nation we would set up a maritime administration and have a Scottish Flag.

With regards the head office thing I assume you are getting at the fact that if most of their head offices are set up in London or elsewhere then they will have no motivation to train Scottish cadets for tax reasons? Interesting point and I'm not sure on that one, but I know my company trains Irish cadets and their head office certainly isn't in Ireland so see no reason why we couldn't do something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
                      With regards the head office thing I assume you are getting at the fact that if most of their head offices are set up in London or elsewhere then they will have no motivation to train Scottish cadets for tax reasons? Interesting point and I'm not sure on that one, but I know my company trains Irish cadets and their head office certainly isn't in Ireland so see no reason why we couldn't do something similar.
                      I think that's what I was getting at, just not quite so eloquently. Also, what's to guarantee that offices with head office will remain in Scotland? (one more month and finally all will go somewhat quiet).

The pigeons and cats GM, your slow this evening, have you been working too hard!
                      Still not with you sorry?

Comment

Why would they move? Its a question that is impossible to answer without knowing the exact situation after the vote in terms of the settlement and then things like the tax set up in an independant Scotland (which of course depends on which party we hypothetically vote in in 2016). Exactly what situation would have to arise for companies to re-locate their head offices en masse at great expense to themselves and why anyone on either side would want to negotiate a settlement which would result in this I don't know. We may elect a government that has an advantageous set up for such companies and actually end up with more of them! Imagine that eh?

What's to guarantee that loads of companies won't move their head offices from the UK to Luxembourg or France or Germany or any other country at some point in the next ten years based on the prevailing political and economic circumstances at the time?

People on both sides keep asking for guarantees and answers to scenarios which are very difficult to predict. Answers to most of these questions would require both sides to negotiate and agree before the vote (which they are obviously not going to do pre referendum).

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post

That's if Scotland even gets into the EU (unlikely, Spain and Italy are likely to veto)....
                          I honestly cannot see Spain or Italy vetoing Scottish membership post-Yes. For a start, Scotland has been a member of the EU for 40 years and the people who live in Scotland are EU citizens. There will be negotiations with the EU (in the event of a yes vote) and when we actually become independent in 2016, we will be a member state of the EU. Jean Claude Junker has already said that Scotland would be treated as a ?special and separate case?, rather than a new applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeClarke83 View Post
                            With Scotland wanting to be independent, what will be the outcome to SMaRT funding to Scottish cadets ?

I ask this question seeing 85% of my cadets are Scottish ?

Just thought i would ask the question.
                            No-one knows. Welcome to the story of the independence debate....

Originally posted by PossibleRecruit View Post
                            I honestly cannot see Spain or Italy vetoing Scottish membership post-Yes. For a start, Scotland has been a member of the EU for 40 years and the people who live in Scotland are EU citizens. There will be negotiations with the EU (in the event of a yes vote) and when we actually become independent in 2016, we will be a member state of the EU. Jean Claude Junker has already said that Scotland would be treated as a “special and separate case”, rather than a new applicant.
                            The UK has been a member, not Scotland. It is an important difference.

I agree that we would be able to join (eventually), but what would the terms be? Would we still get the rebate for example?

Comment

Originally posted by PossibleRecruit View Post
                              I honestly cannot see Spain or Italy vetoing Scottish membership post-Yes. For a start, Scotland has been a member of the EU for 40 years and the people who live in Scotland are EU citizens. There will be negotiations with the EU (in the event of a yes vote) and when we actually become independent in 2016, we will be a member state of the EU. Jean Claude Junker has already said that Scotland would be treated as a “special and separate case”, rather than a new applicant.
                              Wishful thinking. Scotland would have to apply as a new entrant according to Spain and the EU's own rules and Spain is hardly likely to be keen seeing as they're facing their own issues with Catalan.

To be honest, I think the whole debate is getting too shouty with too much party tribalism and idiocy from both sides. I can't wait for it to finally be over....

Comment

Working...
                              X