Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marpol Annex VII

Hi everyone,

I'm just currently preparing for my orals and one of my mates got asked about Marpol Annex VII; the Ballast Water Management. My mate said it wasn't enforce yet, which our lecturers told us but the examiner said Brazil is currently using it. Then I found out online that there is already Ballast Water Management is already a convention since 2004 which is called International Convention for the Control and Management of Ships' Ballast Water and Sediments.

I don't want to sound stupid but is this Annex VII just the same as the Ballast Water Management convention that came out in 2004 cause I found out many countries are using it although the UK isn't. Just wondering if anyone can clear up my confusion, thanks.

Maybe I'm about to sound silly. Does annex VII even exist? I can't find any m notices on it.

I have the same query with regards to noise pollution. I have heard it is going to be implemented soon, but I can't find anything official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Here you go guys - http://www.imo.org/About/Conventions...-(MARPOL).aspx - As you can see there is no Annex VII

Ballast Water management does not fall under MARPOL, it is its own convention - http://www.imo.org/OurWork/Environme...onvention.aspx

I will standby to be corrected, however, my understanding with regard to noise pollution is that its an occupational health issue i.e. Health and Safety at work. This will fall into companies SMS and Health Surveillance.

Comment

Ah thank you, I did see that page but it's just a couple of lecturers have spoken about it and the fact my mate got asked my the examiner about Annex VII made me confused. I thought I'd ask on this seen that some lecturers seem to contradict each other!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewisscott22 View Post
          I have the same query with regards to noise pollution. I have heard it is going to be implemented soon, but I can't find anything official.
          I had something off of LR the other day about it. Apparently it entered into force 4 days ago, applies to all vessels above 1600 GRT that have had it's keel laid or contract signed on or after 1st January 2015. It will also apply to vessels who's delivery date is after 1st July 2018.

For the really sad ones out there, it's known as "The IMO Code on Noise Levels On Board Ships" (the "2012 Noise Code") and come under new SOLAS regulation II-1/3-12 (IMO Resolution MSC. 337(91) and MSC. 338(91))

(whoa, I don't feel right....I'm off for a lie down.....)
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

There is a general idea that BWM Convention will be later the MARPOL Annex VII

Comment

Revise Ballast Water Management as a separate thing.

As yet there is no ratification of MARPOL Annex VII. So I'd just stick to the ballast water management convention.

To boldly go.....
              Forum Administrator
              OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Working...
              X