Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadets and pirates

Hello,

I went through the Gulf of Aden with no choice in the matter.

I was aware of pirates and was very uneasy.

We got chased by pirates on the way out.

We had no security on board and ive been led to believe that it is illegal to have a cadet on board with no security, is this true?

Cheers!

I dont think it is illegal to have a cadet on board with no security. Then again, it depends what "security" is defined as.

When I was going through the Internationally Recommended Transit Corridor, we had the basics. Hoses, isolated accommodation and a piracy citadel was classed as sufficent security.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

I have never heard of it being illegal. It's part of life of being a seafarer you just get on with it unless you don't want to go through you would have to contact the company and voice your opinion

Comment

I spent some time around Lagos, Nigeria, and we simply had what lewisscott22 said, secured accommodation and a long safety meeting regarding what to do if the alarm was sounded, we were told to stay out of the HRA until we had confirmed berthing prospects so whether or not that was because there was 2 British Cadets onboard or if that is company procedure, I'm not sure but at the end of the day it's an occupational hazard.

Just got to understand what to do in the reasonably unlikely event that the worst should happen. Plus, these countries would have no trade if it was illegal to take crew members into HRA's, I can't imagine that's what the UN and IMO want to think about.
        "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
        -- William Arthur War

Twitter - @tommisevenfold

Comment

Some companies have a policy where they do not put cadets on ships going into high risk areas, but it is certainly not illegal. I cannot even think of anything which prohibits minors from being onboard.

How old where you at the time?
          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Cadet123 View Post
            Hello,

I went through the Gulf of Aden with no choice in the matter.

I was aware of pirates and was very uneasy.

We got chased by pirates on the way out.

We had no security on board and ive been led to believe that it is illegal to have a cadet on board with no security, is this true?

Cheers!
            The policy of cadets and HRA transits will vary from company to company, but it is most certainly not illegal. Also, dependent on flag state and CBA will determine as to whether you have a choice to go through the HRA or not as some will allow folks to sign off and others won't whereas others will provide 100% of their basic salary for the time they are in the HRA (although if you're with CMT, forget about that as they don't pay it, I asked).
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

If I recall correctly, is the HRA not declared as a war risk area, which means a crewmember can inform the company they refuse to sail for that part of the voyage?

Could be talking total poop of course.

Comment

Originally posted by condeh View Post
                If I recall correctly, is the HRA not declared as a war risk area, which means a crewmember can inform the company they refuse to sail for that part of the voyage?

Could be talking total poop of course.
                There used to be, but that was only for certain flags I believe, but things have changed again not that long back.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                  if you're with CMT, forget about that as they don't pay it, I asked).
                  That explains why I never got an answer to that question then xD
                  "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
                  -- William Arthur War

Comment

Originally posted by tommysevenfold View Post
                    That explains why I never got an answer to that question then xD
                    Well, in theory they are required to pay it, bit they refused with me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                      (although if you're with CMT, forget about that as they don't pay it, I asked).
                      I wouldn't have expected double-bubble to apply to a training allowance. A real salary, maybe. ;-)

Comment

To state a potentially risky opinion, we, as cadets, are putting our necks on the line and prepping the ship with Hoses and barbed wire etc just as much as what the other crew are, so "why should we not get the same bonuses as they do?" Is a question i'd be fascinated to find an answer to!
                        -- William Arthur War

Comment

The simple answer would be that it's not in your contract. Very few companies pay anyone any extra for transiting high risk areas, they are required to for war zones, not for HRA's.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Working...
                          X