Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warsash Cadets 24hr Liferaft Challenge

Originally posted by Warsash Maritime Academy
    A group of officer cadets from Warsash Maritime Academy (WMA), which is part of Southampton Solent University, are preparing to brave the elements and spend 24 hours in a liferaft to raise funds for sailing respite charity, Sail 4 Cancer.

On Friday 21 March, 39 cadets will experience firsthand what it would be like to be cast adrift with their ship sinking behind them. They will spend 24 hours in five liferafts which will be secured to two buoys in the River Hamble.

This is the first time that a maritime academy has taken part in Sail 4 Cancer?s 24 hour liferaft challenge, which raises funds to provide respite breaks for families affected by cancer.

WMA?s Cadet Liaison Officer David Baker was keen for the academy?s cadets to get involved. ?This challenge is a chance to enhance their training, and a great opportunity to raise funds and awareness for those facing far longer and more difficult challenges - UK families living with cancer,? he said.

Thomas Jones, Officer Cadet (sponsored by Maersk Crewing Ltd) wishes he?d known about the charity when he lost his mother to cancer. ?I feel that this charity would have really helped me deal with the stress of the situation. They support people by helping to take their minds off things and creating some great lasting memories.?

Sail 4 Cancer is delighted that so many cadets volunteered for the challenge that an extra liferaft is needed.

?The response from the staff and cadets of the Warsash Maritime Academy has been absolutely wonderful. They have enthusiastically taken on this difficult challenge and will help us to provide much-needed respite breaks for families who are going through a very difficult time,? says Sail 4 Cancer?s Fundraising Manager, Lizette van Niekerk.

Four of the liferafts have been provided by Ocean Safety and a fifth by Clyde Marine Training.

Each cadet has been given a target of ?200 to raise for the charity. Donations can be made through a link to the Team Warsash Sail 4 Cancer webpage. They have already raised ?6,500.
    Sail 4 Cancer was set up in 2001 by a group of keen sailors who had all lost a close friend or relative to cancer. Sail 4 Cancer is primarily a provider of water-based respite days and breaks for families affected by cancer. The charity also makes grants to cancer care centres and supports research into the positive effects of exercise (e.g. sailing) and how it can help prevent cancer and aid recovery post diagnosis.

If you're interested in donating you can do so on the Sail 4 Cancer website here; http://www.sail4cancer.org/article.php?newsid=3052
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

I have just come on here to post this, so Thank You Alistair.

Bear Henry Allen plus 39 cadets have all got into their liferafts at 5pm.

If you are down at Warsash go along and shout some encouragement. (I do not mean drunken banter from the bank at midnight). Get out there in the morning and cheer them on as well. If you can then get over to the page above and sponsor any of them, or Bear Henry. Even a quid will help.

Good luck to them all and I hope they all survive the night without too much discomfort.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Very well done to all involved, fantastic effort.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Just to let you all know they completed their challenge at 17:00 today. One of the rafts had a leak and so one crew finished the challenge sitting in 3" of very cold water. They had high winds and hailstorms to contend with so I think they all know now that 24 hours in a liferaft is no holiday, even with a lifejacket and an immersion suit on.

So far they have raised ?11,332. They were set a target of ?7,800 by sail4cancer so they have smashed that.

I have nothing but admiration for them. I only ever did a couple of hours in a liferaft in February out in the Mersey and that was tough enough. Well done everyone - you deserve a beer and a nice meal. Enjoy your evening and bask in the limelight. You deserve it.

For anyone who still wants to donate - go visit the website and help them raise even more.

Ian.
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hey guys,

Solent TV have made a great Video about the Warsash Cadets and Bear Henry Allen completing the Life-raft challenge. It is brilliant and very moving...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WafkLPLIk4

So far they have raised over ?13,000

Enjoy

Ian
          Last edited by Hatchorder; 9 April 2014, 08:55 PM. Reason: Embed YouTube video

Comment

Fantastic!
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I really hope this (or something similar) becomes a thing! Although hopefully when I get the chance to do it, the weather will be a wee bit nicer!

Good on each and every one of them!
              Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Hey,

I was the chap in the blue hat with the ciggy in hand raring to get off, if you get the chance to do anything involving this charity i would say grasp the opportunity with both hands it was a fantastic experience (although im not sure i would do it again!) i would recommend it just to say you have. Oh and you don't necessarily have to be at warsash to help these guys get a team together and do something else. The speech the lady gave really made it hit home about just how many families we have directly helped and how many people are now excited to get a break.

So i would get fully behind this cause however you can!

J

Comment

Working...
                X